• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Michigan Sugarloaf Resort Chair

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The question is, are these chairs scrap metal or are they a piece of history, a piece of yard art(furniture)?
Chair .jpg

Sugar Loaf Resort in Michigan closed in 2000 after a series of bad loans and marginal winters. There was hope of finding a buyer who was interested in doing something with the resort, but the bull wheels stood silent for 17 years. @Kneale Brownson knows a fair bit of history here
. Sign SugarLoaf.jpg

The holding company of Sugar Loaf, JD Market Acquisitions, has hired a salvage company to start clearing out the old fixtures, which, for the most part, will be scrapped for the value of the metal. However, the company doing the job is finding some value in the old chairs that may pay more than scrap prices, getting $300-400.00 per chair.
This article has information on contacting the salvage company
Devils Elbow.jpg Silent Chair.jpg The bottom of Awful Awful.jpg

Attachments

• The Lodge SugarLoaf.jpg
    The Lodge SugarLoaf.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1
  • View Overlooking LIme Lake.jpg
    View Overlooking LIme Lake.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Love to have one of those chairs, but not enough to pay much. Many hours spent riding them over 21 seasons teaching there.

So much mismanagement over so many different owners.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not a surprise but such a shame. I have skied almost every major midwest ski area but missed my chance on sugarloaf. I hope they reopen in some form one day but doubtful since midwest skiing is shrinking overall.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Probably a lot of rust to sand down before being able to get a good coat of paint on them. People with the time and love for that kind of restoration work could certainly make themselves a nice porch swing out of one of those..

Sponsor

Staff online