• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Met up with fellow bear, Blackcomb today

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll miss you Mike. Don't worry we'll all hoist one for you. :beercheer:

Hope to meet up with you next season.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
An unusual occurrence at Whistler yesterday. The sun came out. :yahoo::daffy:

The wet heavy fresh snow from Saturday dried up with the low temps overnight. The lighter snow and the unusual visibility make for some great skiing.

@Lady_Salina pointing out the interesting features to a follow skier from NZ towards the bottom of diamond bowl after crossing over from sapphire.

LR_P_20170319_145942.jpg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the damnedest thing happened yesterday - a blue bird powder day in WB.
Well at least in the morning. The afternoon was same old, same old - braille skiing.

We had a blast tracking out the powder in Whistler Bowl with @Lady_Salina.
Migrated to Frog Hollow (aka Upper VD Chutes :eek::roflmao:) for a bit more fun.

LR_P1000200.jpg LR_P1000201.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've really enjoyed following this thread all season. Gets my vote for thread of the year.. like a giant, season long trip report. Thanks!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So far I am enjoying it. It had been a great place in terms of snow and terrain. I have no issue not seeing while I am skiing. Us men are simple creatures and really not great at multi-tasking anyway.
I figure this is what this vision things will be like when I develop cataract as I get older. :eek: I think of this a preview of the good thing to look forward to. Might as well get used to it. :ogcool: :D

OTOH, Mamie does object to the not seeing thing. Perhaps she is a bit more discerning. She booked a week in CO on our way home so we can get some sun, dry out and get rid some of the mold and mildew.

I would have no issue with doing another season here. Mamie OTOH - NO!!!!
With Vail coming to town, that decision had been taken out of our hand for at least a few seasons.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
One thing I noticed ... very few patrol sleds. I only saw one going down the hill while I was skiing.

I thought maybe the good snow conditions resulted in fewer injuries. But maybe it was just that visibility wasn't good enough for them to find the people. :eek:

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well if anyone wondered... it's still winter here. I met up with @KingGrump and the Mrs today for a couple hours. Also yesterday I snuck in 3 runs before starting and a couple of morning phone photos from the way up Blackcomb Jersey cream lift. Tons of fresh to be had yesterday morning. The Jersey Cream headwall lived up to it's name, and skied like cream. Today I actually found a new way down, under Pakalolo to a ridge of trees to find The Staircase right under the ridge. Great run I'll have to repeat tomorrow after some more fresh snow. Can't believe after 125 days I'm still finding new ways down.

King Grump and the Mrs in front of "The Staircase" sign. (No wonder I don't know the names of all the runs yet.
20170328_145927.jpg

And yes, it's very much winter here. The follow views are from Jersey cream chair yesterday morning and there's lots of snow and fresh tracks to be found.

20170327_090524.jpg 20170327_090540.jpg 20170327_090653.jpg
Oh and yes, the clouds below that eventually creeped up the mountain to spoil the great visibility. Gotta be up early
20170327_090705.jpg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely still winter up here. WB is seriously YUGE. Keep finding new lines. Being a good snow year definitely helped.

@Lady_Salina about to take the fast elevator ride down underneath the Jersey Cream Chair.

LR_P_20170328_160139.jpg

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aaah another lovely afternoon with the Grumps @KingGrump. But we did have to sit on a broken chair in a snowstorm for an hour. At least there's always beautiful scenery off the Harmony chair as you can see below on our way over.
20170329_140841.jpg

TS
Lady_Salina

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another bluebird day. Really for real, it was sunny all day and we had awesome snow from yesterday. Did over 31,000 vertical today, since I could see.
Early morning sunshine.
20170330_092255.jpg
Mrs Grump showing off the snow at the bottom of West Cirque.
20170330_114033.jpg
Views are amazing when you can see them.
20170330_122904.jpg

Finished the day in VD's Chutes. This was VD's Right.
20170330_152524.jpg
My blurry phone shot makes it not readable.
20170330_152554.jpg
But I did find VD's Center half way down when I moved over to what seemed like more great snow untouched.
20170330_153256.jpg
The panorama view from the enter to West Cirque.
WestCirqueViews.jpg

Great day today and 31,000 feet in total.
03-30-2017.jpg

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes @Tricia , the sun does shine at WB. Not often, just enough to give us hope.

A fantastic blue bird powder day at WB with @Lady_Salina and Mamie.
Lapped the West Cirque to Christmas Tree & West Bowl area quite a few times through out the day.

That looks nice.
LR_P1000213.jpg

Contemplating the meaning of life at the West Cirque drop in.
LR_P1000217.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That makes my heart smile.

Sponsor

Staff online