• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Memorable quotes from the season

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I never remember if there are one or two 'r' s in "Starr" so I googled it. If you google "Starr Stowe" and "Star Stowe" you get something completely different.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I never remember if there are one or two 'r' s in "Starr" so I googled it. If you google "Starr Stowe" and "Star Stowe" you get something completely different.

Two "r"'s. It's named for a person.

Edit: and now that I googled "star Stowe" I guess both spellings could be considered "named for a person". But it's a family friendly area, so... two r's it is.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Bumper sticker in the parking lot .....

" my best vacation is your worst nightmare "

Oh, well, bumper stickers ...

"I tele"

"Nobody cares that you tele"

"Your mom cares that I tele"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From the "RIP EPICSKI" thread on EpicSki:
"I put up one post on TGR and I lost count how many times I was called a JONG. Never felt welcome and I think they get off on that. I hope Vail buys them next."

That'll fix 'em!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
  • Just buy them the boots. Kids are precious -- @KingGrump
  • Every skiing day is a good day -- @SkiNurse , here is the post.
  • A person loses control and runs into me in a catwalk. Five minutes later I catch up with @ScotsSkier who was ahead of me, waiting at the top of the run. Blood on my face. I explain. He goes (with an amused expression in his face): People do that, don't they!
  • If you want an honest opinion, at the end of the day, you should do whatever is fun for you. Live in the present. Skiing is a vehicle to go around the mountain. -- @Lorenzzo , on the lift at DV. I am paraphrasing. I was talking about how I'm working on different things to improve my technique. He wasn't discouraging from learning, but rather pointing out that I should enjoy every moment while at it.

Wisdom is one step beyond knowledge ...

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
[QUOTE="Mendieta, post: 107447, member: 1021"

Wisdom is one step beyond knowledge ...[/QUOTE]
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
[QUOTE="Mendieta, post: 107447, member: 1021"

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.[/QUOTE]
Wisdom would be even better if I could work the QUOTES correctly!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
  • Just buy them the boots. Kids are precious -- @KingGrump
  • Every skiing day is a good day -- @SkiNurse , here is the post.
  • A person loses control and runs into me in a catwalk. Five minutes later I catch up with @ScotsSkier who was ahead of me, waiting at the top of the run. Blood on my face. I explain. He goes (with an amused expression in his face): People do that, don't they!
  • If you want an honest opinion, at the end of the day, you should do whatever is fun for you. Live in the present. Skiing is a vehicle to go around the mountain. -- @Lorenzzo , on the lift at DV. I am paraphrasing. I was talking about how I'm working on different things to improve my technique. He wasn't discouraging from learning, but rather pointing out that I should enjoy every moment while at it.

Now, do I ever have a "bad" day on the mountain? Never. Every ski day is a good day...just some are better than others. I never regret driving up the hill, putting on my boots & clicking into my skis. With my job, I am reminded frequently that life is short. Again, I repeat, every ski day is a good day

I went back and read that post. Interesting, for lack of another word, that 5 months later I would be personally faced with the prospect of my own mortality. As a critical care nurse, I have taken care of patients with the same injury that did not have the same outcome I had. So, yes, be thankful for every day that you can click into your skis and make a turn or two. Thank you for remembering that post. :beercheer:

Last edited:

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
OK CLOSE THIS THREAD NOBODY COMES CLOSE TO BETTERING THIS

Stranger sitting next to me on a lift at Alta on a powder day after I noticed her ski pants were ripped down the center: .

"After last night a little snow in my pants isn't such a bad thing."

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Stranger sitting next to me on a lift at Alta on a powder day after I noticed her ski pants were ripped down the center: .

"After last night a little snow in my pants isn't such a bad thing."

OK CLOSE THIS THREAD NOBODY COMES CLOSE TO BETTERING THIS
:micdrop:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the day before I had my surgery I took my daughter, granddaughter, and son up to the local hill. The objective was to get little Lexi on skis for the first time. I'd already went out with the wife and bought her snow pants, jacket, and gloves. I rented skis and a helmet for her. Since Grandpa was out of commission the onus of teaching the little one fell to her uncle, my teenage son. He was happy to teach but bummed out that he would be spending his day on the "damn bunny hill".

So they started at the magic carpet while gramps is on the deck enjoying a "ginger ale". Son skis up...."Dad she's going for the tow rope". "Ok", I say. "Have you got her turning yet"? "Yea, wedge turns", he says. I'd witnessed a couple runs and say, "fine go for it, stay with her, get her stopping and revisit the turning is how you control speed speech". "I got this Dad".

Some times go by and I look up and he's got her in the maze for the chairlift. I walk to edge of the deck and yell down, "what are you doing?" "She wants to ride the chair Dad". "Is she ready for the chair?" "We'll find out", he yells back as they turn into the boarding area...... At this point I start heading down the steps and over to the chairlift as they ascend the hill. I'm fully expecting to see the little girl legs spread, skis parallel, arms wide open with poles dangling look of terror grandchild flying straight-line down the hill...... We've all seen it,,,,,the little miniature scud missile.......

I now introduce exhibit A......

That's me that almost gets taken out....... So when the son shows up I say, "Doesn't look like you taught her to stop too well son." To which, and with a straight face, he replies, "she is struggling with the concept". :doh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Lorenzzo gets credit for this one. Not sure where he posted it, but it was in reference to winter drivers in different areas of the country.

California drivers have 5 things they prioritize while they're behind the wheel and none of them include driving.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
...and I also like @Andy Mink 's quote which went something like "...my burning thighs may melt the pow".

That could make a great t-shirt!

Sponsor

Staff online