• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Meeting up/Gathering speculation

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I started a parallel thread over on Epic.
http://www.epicski.com/t/145180/the-2017-gathering-vote-process-at-2016-aspen-gathering

I looked up the history. I was surprised at what was on the list and what wasn't.

Past locations:
2016: Aspen (Feb 3-9) Ajax/Highlands/Snowmass
2015: Jackson Hole (Feb 26-Mar6) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2014: Split: Utah (Feb 2-7), Mammoth/Squaw/AlpineMeadows (Mar 24-28)
2013: Montana (March 25-29, Bridger/Big Sky/Moonlight)
2012: Tahoe (Feb 26-Mar 3) AlpineMeadows/MtRose/Northstar/Squaw/Heavenly/Kirkwood
2011: Colorado (April 3-9, Vail/Breck/A-Basin)
2010: Utah LCC(Jan 31-Feb 4, Solitude/Snowbird/Alta)
2009: Jackson Hole (Feb 7-11) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2008: Utah LCC+ (Feb 1-4) Alta/Solitude/Snowbird/Snowbasin
2007: Tahoe (Mar 24-26) Squaw/AlpineMeadows/Kirkwood
2006: Utah Park City (Feb 4-7) Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley (? - record not clear)
2005: Kicking Horse (Mar 3-6) very poorly attended
2004: Jackson Hole (Jan 30-Feb 2) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2003: Utah LCC (Jan 30-Feb 3) Alta/Snowbird
2002: Fernie (I think)
2001: Tahoe (I think)

James

Out There
Instructor
Taos with "mandatory" ski week lessons. Solves the guides problem.
Yes! Except you know how these people ( said like Rudi in Hot Dog) feel about anything a) Mandatory b) lessons c) restricted time

But if the cool kids do it ...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I started a parallel thread over on Epic.
http://www.epicski.com/t/145180/the-2017-gathering-vote-process-at-2016-aspen-gathering

I looked up the history. I was surprised at what was on the list and what wasn't.

Past locations:
2012: Tahoe (Feb 26-Mar 3) AlpineMeadows/MtRose/Northstar/Squaw/Heavenly/Kirkwood
2011: Colorado (April 3-9, Vail/Breck/A-Basin)
2010: Utah LCC(Jan 31-Feb 4, Solitude/Snowbird/Alta)
2009: Jackson Hole (Feb 7-11) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2008: Utah LCC+ (Feb 1-4) Alta/Solitude/Snowbird/Snowbasin
2007: Tahoe (Mar 24-26) Squaw/AlpineMeadows/Kirkwood
2006: Utah Park City (Feb 4-7) Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley (? - record not clear)
2005: Kicking Horse (Mar 3-6) very poorly attended
2004: Jackson Hole (Jan 30-Feb 2) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2003: Utah LCC (Jan 30-Feb 3) Alta/Snowbird
2002: Fernie (I think)
2001: Tahoe (I think)

This build upon a conversation and a realization I had earlier today, looking at the history, We have 5 major locations for a Gathering...
  • Utah
  • Summit County
  • Jackson Hole
  • Aspen
  • Big Sky
Why don't we just rotated through these 5 areas instead of having a vote every year? We can still do remote satellite GTG's but if we rotate between the majors..it will make a lot less work and guess work. If we do that...

2021: Aspen (Early Feb ) Ajax/Highlands/Snowmass
2020: Jackson Hole (Late Feb/Early March) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2019: Utah (Early Feb)
2018: Montana (Late March, Bridger/Big Sky/Moonlight)
2017: Summit County (Dates TBA)

This way people can actually plan a year in advance. The only question is how to appoint a Gathermeister and who would take the lead.

We can still do regionals like Tahoe, Mammoth, Kickinghorse, Taos ect.

TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
This build upon a conversation and a realization I had earlier today, looking at the history, We have 5 major locations for a Gathering...
  • Utah
  • Summit County
  • Jackson Hole
  • Aspen
  • Big Sky
Why don't we just rotated through these 5 areas instead of having a vote every year? We can still do remote satellite GTG's but if we rotate between the majors..it will make a lot less work and guess work. If we do that...

2021: Aspen (Early Feb ) Ajax/Highlands/Snowmass
2020: Jackson Hole (Late Feb/Early March) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee
2019: Utah (Early Feb)
2018: Montana (Late March, Bridger/Big Sky/Moonlight)
2017: Summit County (Dates TBA)

This way people can actually plan a year in advance. The only question is how to appoint a Gathermeister and who would take the lead.

We can still do regionals like Tahoe, Mammoth, Kickinghorse, Taos ect.

I personaly don't have a problem with that rotation becuase they're all reasonably snow sure and that's a big consideration for us travelling from the east. If I lived out there and could drive I would be open to less snow sure places like Taos/Telluride/Whistler.

And yes I know Whistler is pretty snow sure in the alpine, but the thought of spending thousands of $$$ to travel to possibly get rained on in the Village isn't very appealing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Now you're starting to make some sort of sense. But you're forgeting chaos theory that somehow drives these things. It does remind me of a conversation on the lift last year in Jackson. After the preliminaries I said I was with a big group.

So, do you get a good group ticket rate?
- No.
You get a group lodging rate?
- No
-Meals?
-No
So what's the point?
Hmmm, good question! Well we ski with people we talk to all year, meet new people..

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crossposting...

I like the vote because a) it's a tradition and b) it allows those who actually attend the events primary input on where they are held and c) incentivizes those who want to be involved in where to go next to start to attend

TS
jgiddyup

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
I believe there was a vote in Aspen for getting together next season but some people were whistling while the results were announced so we'll have to wait on an official announcement.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
There were a lot of pictures snapped at the party tonight. Who has them?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I mean who wouldnt want to ski this.

12651106_942911019079814_1883502111248171417_n.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No one every said Stowe does not have great terrain. The Gathering is for the masses, yes there are many intermediates that come to these events that cannot access or have the skills to ski some of the terrain that Stowe offers, that does not mean that they are not as important or their needs should be ignored. Stowe has been nominated many times but other resorts have beat it out. There is more than just great terrain for a few experts that goes into picking a location. This is not a "sad reality", it is just considering the needs of the masses. The reasons you point out are the exact reasons that Stowe won't be a location that is ultimately chosen, it does not have enough for everyone.

@KevinF has been hosting a satellite mini gathering at Stowe for years with very good attendance and I think it is great that it happens and I hope it continues.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You realize now that you're in UT you need 4?
Hahahahahahaha Lorenzzo, I missed this one! hahahahahahah my old uterus says "NO!" I was the worst, most miserable pregnant lady on the planet. Some women love being PG, I was not one of them!

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Gathering is for the masses, yes there are many intermediates that come to these events ... This is not a "sad reality", it is just considering the needs of the masses.

Utah gatherings seem to be focused on lcc / bcc with their steep and deep. I don't remember the gathering ever going to park city. Maybe there should be a "summit county utah" gathering - skiing exclusively dv, and park city. :)

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
So, like, I'd go anywhere, pretty much, if (how unlikely is that?) we hold it the last week of February. No chance, I know.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So what was the outcome?

what was the outcome?

my now deleted post was not meant to be put down of other but to inspire others with this year's awful season next season could be good.

Sponsor