• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Marker Stops Selling Kingpin Binding

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
king_10.jpg
From Powder Magazine...

German manufacturer Marker DE has stopped selling the beloved Kingpin ski binding in response to a finding from a patent infringement lawsuit brought forth by G3 Genuine Guide Gear Inc. According to legal documents, Marker stipulated in court in May, agreeing that it had infringed on one of three patent claims that G3 asserted against them. Subsequent court dates will determine whether Marker infringed on two other infringement claims, as well as the damages G3 will be awarded.... Read full story HERE.

Court Document HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha, the monarchy topples, Good for G3!

Besides, given the choice, I'd rather have a '17/18 Fritchi Tecton. Thank goodness Fritchi was wise enough to reach a settlement with G3!

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Does this infringement have to do with the heel piece? or the toe stop? If the heel is at issue, why doesn't G3 have a binding with the alpine like heel, is it in the works?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"The biggest chuckle in all this? It’s well known that both Marker and ION brakes tend to be finicky in how well they stay stowed in the touring position. Here at WildSnow, we like either having no brakes, or a brake that’s entirely divorced from the binding. We have to laugh at two companies fighting over what might be a problematic design. If Marker changes their brake instead of paying a license fee, that might make the world a better place. Ironic."

https://www.wildsnow.com/22871/ski-world-panics-kingpin-discontinued/

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't had a problem with the brake staying in place, but I have had a little trouble getting it into place to begin. But far less than getting Fritchi Diamirs or Marker Barons to actually lock down when they are packed with snow.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Forget the lawsuit.............. this is AMAZING marketing opp for Marker as the current Kingpins will go flying off the shelves now and TONS of buzz! You can't buy that kind of advertising! A win for both G3 and Marker............ Kingpins will be a new Unicorn............ and they both can step out w/ new designs...........

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I deal with intellectual property issues nearly daily in my work so I find this type of situation fascinating and frightening at the same time. Good for G3 for going after this! Setting the precedent so others don't see them as weak is key to them not having to do this battle in the future.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am so glad mine were delivered a few weeks ago.
Forget the lawsuit.............. this is AMAZING marketing opp for Marker as the current Kingpins will go flying off the shelves now and TONS of buzz! You can't buy that kind of advertising! A win for both G3 and Marker............ Kingpins will be a new Unicorn............ and they both can step out w/ new designs...........

I'm guessing you're not aware that the language of the law is "make, use, sell or offer for sale". G3 have every right to go after small entities - just like Shimano and Continental went after Ebay sellers of parts and tires 15 years ago. But, hey maybe they're Canadian and therefore nice?

Nonetheless, advertising one for sale is still sketch.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/35/271 you want part (g)

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm guessing you're not aware that the language of the law is "make, use, sell or offer for sale". G3 have every right to go after small entities - just like Shimano and Continental went after Ebay sellers of parts and tires 15 years ago. But, hey maybe they're Canadian and therefore nice?

Nonetheless, advertising one for sale is still sketch.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/35/271 you want part (g)

Good point. I guess the question is; When do they stop selling as right now shops still have them up here? Was almost tempted to pick up a pair but went for the Epic Pass instead.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
When do they stop selling as right now shops still have them up here? Was almost tempted to pick up a pair but went for the Epic Pass instead

I had the same thought.

Sponsor

Staff online