• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It just didn't feel like an amazing revelation when walking. You are still in ski boots, and it did feel like it introduces some flex into the whole system when, you know, skiing. Plus it introduces the whole "now I can't use that ski, I have to use this ski".

It just seems like a whole lot of industry hassle and years of consumer headaches for a tiny improvement in walking at the possible expense of some ski performance.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@epic you still have your plug boots.....

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
It just didn't feel like an amazing revelation when walking. You are still in ski boots, and it did feel like it introduces some flex into the whole system when, you know, skiing. Plus it introduces the whole "now I can't use that ski, I have to use this ski".

It just seems like a whole lot of industry hassle and years of consumer headaches for a tiny improvement in walking at the possible expense of some ski performance.

I hear ya.... but think that change was inevitable & for non Plug boots, now is perfect.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@Philpug The PRD 12 bindings that come on the Head i.rally set up, I assume they are not GW compatible? I found a killer deal on a pair of 2017's but need to consider the future issues.

Thanks in advance...

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
BAA39210-C594-4BA0-8CFA-E66924827E63.jpeg
@Philpug The PRD 12 bindings that come on the Head i.rally set up, I assume they are not GW compatible? I found a killer deal on a pair of 2017's but need to consider the future issues.

Thanks in advance...

Not GripWalk compatible, but.... the new MBS binding may slide right on the same track.

I think it does.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
At less than $600 new for the pair, it seems like the new toe piece wouldn't be a problem. No drilling required...

Thanks for the info...

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
EE00D3EF-277A-4950-98FB-C04E6961333D.jpeg
DF54C13B-506D-4F62-AA95-BAA75F2255BE.jpeg
No problem- “suitable for all PR bases”

Looks good to go- just get the new PR MBS bindings.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dalbello will be having a GripWalk junior lug offering. I didn't see this at any other booth.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At less than $600 new for the pair, it seems like the new toe piece wouldn't be a problem. No drilling required...

Thanks for the info...
I don't see you being able to buy just the new toes or even the new bindings w/o the system to go with it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Earlier this season Salomon replaced my STH2 13 bindings under warranty by sending me a pair of Warden MNC bindings. At the time I thought it odd that they would send me a more expensive replacement but maybe they were over stocked with Wardens. Now I am thinking that maybe they are phasing out the STH2 13?...and/or, possibly since I work at a ski shop they wanted me to have the current, most up to date product on my feet.:huh:

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Dalbello will be having a GripWalk junior lug offering. I didn't see this at any other booth.

That would be HUGE for the kids & for retailers! What parent would not want to option to have GripWalk on sole & options to replace. My daughter destroys the soles of her boots running around the mountain. I know what I’ll be transitioning her to now!!!

Beyond the slip / fall factor, I’ve worrried about DIN compliance.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
OK so the GripWalk seems to have gained "traction" inside the ski industry........is this a gimmicky product or a viable long term solution? Clearly seems to be an improvement to the current screw-in boot soles, but is the GripWalk really an improvement or just another way to milk the ski consumer to spend more money?

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
OK so the GripWalk seems to have gained "traction" inside the ski industry........is this a gimmicky product or a viable long term solution? Clearly seems to be an improvement to the current screw-in boot soles, but is the GripWalk really an improvement or just another way to milk the ski consumer to spend more money?
I mean, the GripWalk soles are rockered, but in a way that doesn’t interfere with the binding interface. They are definitely easier to walk in, and at least in the GripWalk soles I installed on my Tecnica Cochises, the rubber is quite grippy (made in association with Michelin!)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, is IS an improvement. Is it a way to "milk" money? I am not sure I would go that far...no one is going to get rich off of it. The cool thing is, it going to be there as an option, you won't need to get it but be aware that many bindings produced before last year are not compatible with it. I think there will be an at least 5 year hangover. Just look how many non indemnified bindings are still on the hill....this will be a long transition.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

It's obviously here to stay, but to me it seems like a way to milk us more than anything else, it obsoletes tons of bindings, it makes skiing marginally worse, and it makes walking marginally better. It's not like it turns your ski boots into a pair of crocs. I just don't think it improves things nearly enough to be worth the hassle, But it's here, it's not going anywhere and I guess I'll live with it.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Whew! Did I get lucky.

$2k worth of new skis and boots for this year (Dalbello Lupo and RTM 84) The integrated ski/bindings don't permit much choice.
Having "GripWalk" labels on both pieces sure makes "binding check" a breeze. ;-)

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
It's obviously here to stay, but to me it seems like a way to milk us more than anything else, it obsoletes tons of bindings, it makes skiing marginally worse, and it makes walking marginally better. It's not like it turns your ski boots into a pair of crocs. I just don't think it improves things nearly enough to be worth the hassle, But it's here, it's not going anywhere and I guess I'll live with it.

I’ve actually found he skiing better due to the rubberized soles- especially on the crappy snow this season. Where do you find limitations?

*Admittedly, I’ve not skied GripWalk on a frontside carver as of yet.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I’ve actually found he skiing better due to the rubberized soles- especially on the crappy snow this season. Where do you find limitations?

*Admittedly, I’ve not skied GripWalk on a frontside carver as of yet.

Hard snow on frontside carvers.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

I bought new boots this year that are not grip walk so my bindings do not become obsolete unless I choose to get gripwalk soles which won't happen until current skis and bindings are worn out. This will entail my usual practice of updating the ski quiver one pair at a time every few years. I will be getting one new pair of skis next season and I already have bindings for them that are gripwalk compatible and also work with non gripwalk soles.

So, I don't see where I am getting milked or incurring any additional expense....unless I rush out and go gripwalk right away and start buying new bindings, which I won't do.

Sponsor