• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends. If this doesn't answer it for you, let me know exactly which binding you are referring to...
full
Thanks for that!

I have a Warden which is good to go, and a Sth 13 WTR which isn't.

I'll just need to be sure to use the Sth 13 only on skis I plan to use normal Alpine soles with (unless I go Grip Walk across the board).

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Thanks for that!

I have a Warden which is good to go, and a Sth 13 WTR which isn't.

I'll just need to be sure to use the Sth 13 only on skis I plan to use normal Alpine soles with (unless I go Grip Walk across the board).
Really a win-win for everyone. Recreational skiers will have years of access to devalued DIN set-ups from the swaps, shops can sell replacement (cantable) soles for increased safety & enthusiasts will get a safer boot that allows them to expand lesser energy walking and more leg strength skiing.

Current DIN skiers can enjoy their gear, but I would not advise purchasing another unless you were a racer.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Quick question: my Look 14 Duals have been set correctly for my boots (Cochise 120). I just bought and installed the GripWalk soles replacing the standard DIN soles. Do I have to do any adjustments or can I just click in and ride?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Quick question: my Look 14 Duals have been set correctly for my boots (Cochise 120). I just bought and installed the GripWalk soles replacing the standard DIN soles. Do I have to do any adjustments or can I just click in and ride?
Just click in and ride!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My new boots are WTR (Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD) and they fit great on my Marker Griffon ID and Barrons (both 2017's). The AFD adjustment on these bindings has a nice range and is super easy to adjust. I am SUPER impressed with these boots. Glad to see the industry coming together to establish a standard (even if it GW and not WTR). The increased safety, comfort and ease of walking on these boots vs normal Alpine boots is enormous.

N3-13.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, So long WTR, we hardly got to know ye.

Man, it's going to be hard selling backstock of XT freerides and dealing with parts.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
What is the process for canting a Gripwalk set up? I'm thinking the Tecnica Mach 1 120LV might be next year's boots. The 1 degree works pretty well on my current set up but I might need 1.5 or maybe 2 degrees to really dial it in.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philosoraptor wonders: if Dual WTR works with Gripwalk in alpine mode, why don't alpine bindings (in alpine mode)?
Because of the shape of the sole. Some bindings, the AFD does not match up with the smooth part of the sole and hits the rubber/grippy part of the sole. Last years Attack was that way. If you look at most GW compatible AFD's they are tilted.

I think GripWalk requires a sliding AFD.

No, the new Look AF toe has a solid AFD that is GW compatible.

What is the process for canting a Gripwalk set up? I'm thinking the Tecnica Mach 1 120LV might be next year's boots. The 1 degree works pretty well on my current set up but I might need 1.5 or maybe 2 degrees to really dial it in.

Boots with Gripwalk can be canted but the will need to have the alpine sole on the boot to be routed to make sure that the height is correct, then the GW sole can be reinstalled. IMHO, there will be a boot fitter or two that will miss this and will rout a boot with the wrong soles installed once...once.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
All I hear, when son and I get new boots, new binding will probably need to be purchased.

@Philpug, hmm see you in Sept in Tahoe for boots. :)

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Because of the shape of the sole. Some bindings, the AFD does not match up with the smooth part of the sole and hits the rubber/grippy part of the sole. Last years Attack was that way. If you look at most GW compatible AFD's they are tilted.

No, the new Look AF toe has a solid AFD that is GW compatible.

Boots with Gripwalk can be canted but the will need to have the alpine sole on the boot to be routed to make sure that the height is correct, then the GW sole can be reinstalled. IMHO, there will be a boot fitter or two that will miss this and will rout a boot with the wrong soles installed once...once.
Phil, my Nordica GPX has a Gripwalk sole that can be canted by adding canting shims under the GW sole. Is that common to all of the GW boots? I think that's what you are implying.

Of course, once the boot has the shims installed, you have to level the lugs on the toe and heel to fit the standard binding height, and that's where the router comes in.

The nice thing about this is that it eliminates the need to plane the sole of the boot to cant it.

Oh, and the boot is much easier to walk in. It also appears that the toe and heel wear much less than they did when they were the old plastic. And I presume that when they are sufficiently worn, I can simply replace the GW sole with a new one (at least Nordica has replacement "solekit" parts that are specific to the boot line).

Are my presumptions correct?

Mike

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Based on what I'm seeing and hearing.. is this basically a viburnum type attachment/replacement for your stock boot lug soles?? i.e. just additional tread over a traditional boot but not much rocker or other boot sole enhancements that would make actual walking easier... just better traction for the most part??

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The softer toe and heel make walking easier. The toe and heel are softer as they are something like rubber. They also are less slippery than walking in a traditional boot.

Mike

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The softer toe and heel make walking easier. The toe and heel are softer as they are something like rubber. They also are less slippery than walking in a traditional boot.

Mike
So it's essentially like a YakTrax SkiTrax that you don't have to remove to click in, but without the rocker high arch section the Yak has..
81M5aXidtsL._SY355_.jpg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I had my first Grip Walk experience yesterday. Honest to God I'd rather have regular DIN soles. I'm starting to feel like @Bill Talbot here.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January