• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ensure/insure.

Apologies if already covered. I read most, but not all, of the previous posts.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ensure/insure.

Apologies if already covered. I read most, but not all, of the previous posts.
The one that has been jumping out at me lately is how often we (myself included) use an adjective when we should have used an adverb. For example:

I need to ski real bad.

NO:

I need to ski real badly.

Its all around me, including coming out of my own mouth. I've begun catching it, but still WIP.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Just today I handled a letter which stated that a facility had "passed a successful test". Still trying to visualize what the other three possibilities look like.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"passed an unsuccessful test" - it left the launch pad then blew up.
"failed a successful test" - it never left the launch pad but didn't blow up.
"failed an unsuccessful test" - the launch team couldn't find the button but it blew up anyway.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about ending sentences with a preposition? This shall not be up with put (to paraphrase Churchill).

Or, for that matter, ending sentences with a proposition.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
How about ending sentences with a preposition? This shall not be up with put (to paraphrase Churchill).

Well, the latter isn't always wrong is it? I mean, depending on the nature of the proposition, and the propositioner, I might up with put it.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or the nature of the sentence, 5 years, 10 years? Community service and probation?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I was thinking that I should have gotten in on the sales at ski swap, but I waited longer than I should of.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
They're looking for their skis over there...

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
That is among the most irritating of my many pet peeves.

What's interesting to me is when trite sayings get further removed from their phrases of origin there is genuine ambiguity about which word belongs in the expression.

For instance, I know it's "toe the line" not "tow the line" but I see the latter construction quite frequently.

Other examples I'm less sure about: beyond the pale? Or pail? Waiting with baited breath? Or bated?

And I often get hoard and horde mixed up, which surely infuriates grammar nazis one level up from me.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For some reason, that post ^^ reminded me of misheard song lyrics. Wrapped up like a douche, yo.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is among the most irritating of my many pet peeves.

What's interesting to me is when trite sayings get further removed from their phrases of origin there is genuine ambiguity about which word belongs in the expression.

For instance, I know it's "toe the line" not "tow the line" but I see the latter construction quite frequently.

Other examples I'm less sure about: beyond the pale? Or pail? Waiting with baited breath? Or bated?

And I often get hoard and horde mixed up, which surely infuriates grammar nazis one level up from me.
It's "beyond the pale". And I've always heard it in relation to the English Pale in Ireland, although there were other examples mentioned when I Googled it for the official definition.

(from Latin palus, “stake”), district separated from the surrounding country by defined boundaries or distinguished by a different administrative and legal system. It is this definition of pale from which the phrase “beyond the pale” is derived.

-and-

Other examples of pales include the English pales in Ireland and France. “The Pale” in Ireland (so named after the late 14th century) was established at the time of Henry II’s expedition (1171–72) and consisted of the territories conquered by England, where English settlements and rule were most secure. The pale existed until the entire area was subjugated under Elizabeth I (reigned 1558–1603). Its area, which varied considerably depending upon the strength of the English authorities, included parts of the modern counties of Dublin, Louth, Meath, and Kildare. The Calais pale in northern France (1347–1558) had a perimeter extending from Gravelines in the east to Wissant in the west and enclosing a hinterland 6–9 miles (10–14 km) deep.
And I know it's bated breath, but had to look up why. According to this site http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html it's short for abated.

As for hoard vs horde I must have learned this in the past somewhere - The pirate horde had a treasure hoard.

Sponsor

Staff online