• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a fall/spring jacket

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Hi again,
I need a casual jacket for when temps are in the mid 40s to low 50s. Breathable, maybe fleece, full zip, high turn up collar? I do have an LL Bean uninsulated wind blocker fleece. Yet it is way to warm for these temps. I run hot when walking around doing errands. Maybe something with pit zips? What do you wear in these temps?
Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are so many ski specific shells out there that really are great for the shoulder seasons. Check out our sponsors like Freeride Systems and @TheBestSkier for some killer made in the ole U.S of A. options.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If by "casual" you mean sporty-mountainy casual it sounds to me like you want a soft shell. Many great ones out there. Softshells block most wind, provide some insulation and are much more comfortable and breathable.

If windblocker fleece is too warm, I'd say something like the OR Ferrosi jacket -- https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-ferrosi-jacket/p/2500950364009 . If you want something with insulation, I know a few manufacturers make softshell with a grid fleece backing or thicker fleece backing.

And while I love CO FreeRide jackets -- they don't make a non-laminate softshell to my knowledge. If you're talking about something for the 40s and 50s, and with breathability, you want a woven softshell w/o a laminate in it. Laminates are great for waterproofing. They suck for breathability.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
do a search on Arc teryx gamma LT hoodie or non . There are still a bunch around for under $200.00. this will last you for many years. It's a great soft-shell.

here's a link to Backcountry. they always have a 20% sale or you can ask for a discount and use Active Junky

https://www.backcountry.com/arcteryx-gamma-lt-jacket-mens

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are there any outlet malls near you? The Ferrosi jacket is very comfortable, not too warm on its own. I wouldn't bother with pit zips for a casual wear jacket.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At those temps I'm usually found in a fleece vest. Either a Patagonia Better Sweater or Mountain Hardwear Pyxis.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I decided to sell a softshell jacket that I never wear for sale.
Check out this if interested: Outdoor Research Alibi Jacket - Women's, Black, size Large - $80 obo
Worn 2-3 times max. No snags, scratches, cuts, or other marred bits.
Great quality. The coolest thing is the built-in balaclava.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I decided to sell a softshell jacket that I never wear for sale.
Check out this if interested: Outdoor Research Alibi Jacket - Women's, Black, size Large - $80 obo
Worn 2-3 times max. No snags, scratches, cuts, or other marred bits.
Great quality. The coolest thing is the built-in balaclava.

I might be interested. I have plenty of bright/multi colored pants now and not all my jackets match so I was actually looking for a black one. I will send you a PM.

TS
E

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all for the suggestions, although I am male and the last few posts are for women's jackets. I will see if I can find a store selling the OR Ferrosi to try on. I do have a Patagonia in SoHo, to check out and try on their Better Sweater.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks all for the suggestions, although I am male and the last few posts are for women's jackets. I will see if I can find a store selling the OR Ferrosi to try on. I do have a Patagonia in SoHo, to check out and try on their Better Sweater.
Sorry, I got confused. Good luck on finding a great jacket!:)

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Mid to 40s to low 50s sounds like tank top weather!

We have this option in unisex small, medium and XL. http://www.freeridesystems.com/product/fremont-ii-water-resistent-casual-jacket No hood, no pit zips, partially fleece lined. They are on sale and you can use a discount code.

Our Bross 2.0 is another option. Wind will cut right through it but in warm temps that may be what you are looking for. The Bross 3.0 is heavier and offers a little protection from the wind.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. PM or email [email protected]

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Oh -- forgot about the Bross hardface -- I assume hardface is a bit more windproof? Bross 2.0 is probably my favorite midlayer. It was perfect on the 45F bike commute in Denver this AM -- but yes, wind goes right through.

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oh -- forgot about the Bross hardface -- I assume hardface is a bit more windproof? Bross 2.0 is probably my favorite midlayer. It was perfect on the 45F bike commute in Denver this AM -- but yes, wind goes right through.

I would say it offers way more protection from the wind but not quite windproof. You can use it as an outer layer in colder temps more often than the 2.0. It's a good mid layer for the coldest temps.

Sponsor

Staff online