• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Review: Head Raptor 140 RS

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug looking at you actual size compared to your boot size I have to do some serious review of my boot size.
When I do I think I’ll try and come down you to ensure it’s done correct.

Look forward to the continued posts on this thread.

:beercheer:

I think a lot of people could downsize at least one shell size . I’m a street 10.5 in a 306 26.5 Lange. It takes a little grinding but it’s doable.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My skinny ankles are pretty happy in the 110 RS W (after swimming in the Lange 110 RX LV) but I still buckle to the fourth or fifth latch. Could you explain a little more about what you mean about taking material off the lower cuff strap?
I'm just starting my journey in the Lange 110 RS W but I already feel a super snug heel/ankle pocket.

Dottore

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Back to Phase 2. I got to spend an hour or so in the boot at Mt. Rose with @Andy Mink yesterday to see how the punches and stock liner worked. Simply, success. Not 100% but definately 85-90% , about as well as I can expect at this point considerig that it felt 95-100% in the lab. That last 10-15% work needs to address not so much the skiing aspect of the boot but riding the lift, with the weight of the gear handing on the instep..specifially the right foot. So, now to spend some time with the liner and a bit of a tongue work. Once I do that, I cannot wait to get the boot onto some steeper and more aggressive terrain.
Hi, long time lurker here who just registered because of this post:
How do you relief the top of your instep while riding the lift? My two local bootfitters couldn‘t do it. One tried it with heel lifts which was a desaster. My approach would be to thin the plastic piece of the tounge or remote some padding below the plastic (it‘s a lange WC lace up liner).

Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi, long time lurker here who just registered because of this post:
How do you relief the top of your instep while riding the lift? My two local bootfitters couldn‘t do it. One tried it with heel lifts which was a desaster. My approach would be to thin the plastic piece of the tounge or remote some padding below the plastic (it‘s a lange WC lace up liner).

Thanks!
Very good question. In my case, When initially trying the boots on, i was getting different pressures in each boot, the left was dead over the top and the right felt like it was more on the lateral side. Starting with the left, I heated up the tongue and conpressed the whole top over the instep right below the bend of the tongue, perfect. The right boot, I did just the one side which turns out was the symptom and nto the full problem so I will go back and to the whole top like the left.

Now, in your case, I assume you have a footbed that is supporting your foot straight in the boot. Have you flattened the zeppa? If you pull out the zeppa of the Lange, you will feel a slight hump in the middle of it, sand that down and as we say, "A millimeter is a mile", that will give you a bit more room too. Lastly, use the footrest if there is one.

James

Out There
Instructor
Could that be done with a Dremel?
You can cut the upper cuff strap with metal shears then dremel it. Just don't overlap your cuts and make a weak spot. I've seen video of a heli operation that used a hot knife also. Many choices.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
We must be from the same tribe phil. Lol. Pre-heat with car floor heater on the ride up & re-heat prior to retracting feet from boots. I'm in a half size smaller shell. Last year lightest buckle setting. Loosen buckles on the lift. Yes the performance improvement is worth it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On to Stage 3, making the boot GripWalk-compatible. First thing to remember is that you do not rout the boot with the GripWalk soles, you need to rout using a comparable sole that is alpine (DIN) in height. No, this is not experience talking; yes, I routed with the alpine lug.

Soles before
IMG_1540.JPG

Soles after (w/GripWalk)
IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

Note the thickness difference under the ball of the foot. I will be out and about today with these and will report back with what I feel in the difference. Also, make sure what you have a binding that is GripWalk-compatible before you make this modification.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have been in the Raptor 130/140 for the past 5 seasons. Thought I'd always be in Lange until I pulled on one of these. The boot chose me. If they fit, they ski fantastically well...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I must say, I like the GripWalk soles for getting around they make a difference and I didn't notice any difference in performance from the solid lugs or alpine walking soles. With that said..I am not sure the costs of updating older bindings is worth the ease. Most of the newer replaceable are pretty darn good and I can click into almsot any ski. Thinking about this past years on snow demo, if I had GripWalk soles I would not have been able to ski the awesome Atomic S9/G9/X9 series, the new Kastle RX skis or the any of the Head Supershapes. While I am trying to be on board with this new direction, I am obviously still having some difficulties. Back to the boot.

The Raptor is working for me. I really like the stance and feel at home as I ever had in any boot of recent memory. the heel pocket is snug and while I had to do some work in the forefoot, it is not unusual to have to do. I do like the propriatry powerstrap design and whnere some manufacturers try to reinvent the wheel in this area with buckles, clasp and other gadgets, Head does a great job with thiers.

IMG_1594.JPG

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
^ great beta- I'm all aboard the GripWalk train, yet not sure w what to do w the race carver skis.......

(In case you had not noticed @Philpug)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
^ great beta- I'm all aboard the GripWalk train, yet not sure w what to do w the race carver skis.......

(In case you had not noticed @Philpug)

No real need to go to gripwalk IMHO.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Was working on the new shells yesterday. I forgot about how easy it is to tweek and move things with the Raptors... a couple of met head moves, a little on the navicular, a cuff adjustment, flatten a zeppa a wee, and a hop up on the alignment stand to check for any changes from the previous setup. Only have to pop on a 1 degree shim on the left shoe, add the vibram lifters, route the lugs, and I think we're pretty much there.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the toe duct tape mod going on them as well....not as bad as the Langes but still noticable leak.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
No real need to go to gripwalk IMHO.

We’ll see, but I’m betting the scramble benefits & vibration relief of “Eastern Frontside Packed Powder” days will have most boots GripWalk in 2 seasons.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I've never had an ingress issue with these boots. The one thing I will say is that while they're many things, one that they're not is warm. Boot heaters are happening this season. I actually won a set. Only the second sort of cool thing I've won in my life! Thankfully until now there's been juuuust enough space in the toe box to pop in a chemical heat pad above my digits on the handful of truly cold'ish days we have out our way to keep from being miserable.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
We’ll see, but I’m betting the scramble benefits & vibration relief of “Eastern Frontside Packed Powder” days will have most boots GripWalk in 2 seasons.

I just have to get into Freeflex bindings as well. That's a deal killer. It'd also pain me not to be able to take out the occasional race ski at demos. Vibram is Vibram whether grip walk or DIN and GW toes accommodate both... I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. Other than some boot pack hiking and standing around at the meeting area in the morning, I don't plan on standing on snow without skis on, especially around hard pack. ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just have to get into Freeflex bindings as well. That's a deal killer. It'd also pain me not to be able to take out the occasional race ski at demos. Vibram is Vibram whether grip walk or DIN and GW toes accommodate both... I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon. Other than some boot pack hiking and standing around at the meeting area in the morning, I don't plan on standing on snow without skis on, especially around hard pack. ogsmile
Like @Brian Finch I am standing round and walking on snow a good amount. I will say when we go to SIA this year I will put back on a regular walking sole just in case some of the more front side oriented skis.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

I wonder if someone with some manufacturering capacity could create a plate, like the RD AFD that would accept GripWalk?

:)

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Marco for saying their not a real warm boot,,,,,,,,,,,, I can stop daydreaming about them now !!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wonder if someone with some manufacturering capacity could create a plate, like the RD AFD that would accept GripWalk?

:)
What about the tractor AFD, I wonder how they match up.

Sponsor

Staff online