• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What apps can you use? I'm a big Waze user and prefer it over Apple Maps for traffic.
I am usung Apple iMaps. I would be surprised if it works with 3rd party map apps.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw that article and started wondering if I should buy the insurance. Need to read the fine print.

My first gas has been purchased and nowhere near Phil's mileage, but I really don't know when the car was filled relative to getting miles on its trip odometer, so it's the next tank will have more worth. Right now, it's 21.7 mpg, so I'm hoping that's because of the fact the guy reset it when he was showing me features.

My gas cap didn't seem to click more than once? I used to make sure there were seven clicks because of some kind of check engine light that would go off. Didn't want to break anything, but I think this closes and that's it? Since my last car was so old, I don't know what's normal now....
Yes, it is just 1 click for the gas cap. Did you notice the little spot on the hinge to rest the gas cap so it isn't hanging down when filling the car with fuel?

Check the MPG manually along with the computer, I got 27.7 manually when the computer saud 28.6. I just refilled as 330 mile and htere was still a bit more than 1/8th tank left. I think I will be able to get 350-375 on a trip before refilling.

StoicDude

Booting up
Skier
Congratulations on the new VW. I 've been a VW owner all my life and always loved the cars.
The Piëch era is gone but they still make great cars.
The DSG transmission has been pretty good in my R32, which has 117000 miles. the only things that was wrong with it was the mechatronichs unit and it was fixed under warranty. I'm pretty sure they remedied that issue a few years back.
The only extra maintenance is the oil change and filter change for the transmission at 40k miles.
Also, if anybody needs the VCDS/ Ross Tech cable to make adjustments let me know. I'm in Reno.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congratulations on the new VW. I 've been a VW owner all my life and always loved the cars.
The Piëch era is gone but they still make great cars.
The DSG transmission has been pretty good in my R32, which has 117000 miles. the only things that was wrong with it was the mechatronichs unit and it was fixed under warranty. I'm pretty sure they remedied that issue a few years back.
The only extra maintenance is the oil change and filter change for the transmission at 40k miles.
Also, if anybody needs the VCDS/ Ross Tech cable to make adjustments let me know. I'm in Reno.
There are a few things I'd like to reprogram. Let's get together at some point.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
DYI Mod: Putting skis in the back would rip and scuff the top of the seat backs in my old Jetta Sportwagen. I originally thought i would cut up the old carpeted tray and velcro it to the seat backs then I thought I would just velro the top of the seat to protect the top of the seat backs. Then in the summer, just remove the velcro!

IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
A few comments. As a wagon owner, my 193's always are put in diagonally, so they fit in the back. Also, I am fairly certain your gas mileage will improve a little once the car has a 5k+ miles on it.
How is the passing power Phil? I have read it is fairly easy to get about 240hp with premium gas and a stage 1 tune. That puts the car in Allroad horsepower range and may then work for driving/passing slow pokes on the 395 between Mammoth and San Diego.
I am still stuck on wanting a 250hp+ diesel that can get close to 40 mpg on the highway. Lucky I am not holding my breath.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few comments. As a wagon owner, my 193's always are put in diagonally, so they fit in the back. Also, I am fairly certain your gas mileage will improve a little once the car has a 5k+ miles on it.
How is the passing power Phil? I have read it is fairly easy to get about 240hp with premium gas and a stage 1 tune. That puts the car in Allroad horsepower range and may then work for driving/passing slow pokes on the 395 between Mammoth and San Diego.
I am still stuck on wanting a 250hp+ diesel that can get close to 40 mpg on the highway. Lucky I am not holding my breath.
IMHO, the power is fine and I hve yet to find it lacking as of yet. Going up Rt 80 from Reno to Truckee I have no problem passing anyone. A quick downshift with the left paddle gives me wht I need. I have been reading about the HP gains that are available but unless they also give better fuel economy with my current mannerisms, I see no reason to do the mapping flash.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
And if something happens to the motor, that's an excuse to deny warranty coverage.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier

The Audi A6 3.0TDI mpg 25/38, 240hp/438 lb-ft

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
img_0109-jpg.17975

I felt like Flounder from Animal House when I got out to the Alltrack....Oh boy..oh boy..oh boy.... I got to play with it in the snow. Northstar didn't yet plow the lots to I had a chance to push it around and try to break it loose. This was the first time I was able to get the stability light to come on and it really took some work. I tried to get it sideways but the car kept fighting me back to straighten out..which is good. This is one refined little snow car.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stability control light? I guess I need to drag out my owners manual? I'm hoping this is not something that will go off with a shriek.

If it's like the TDi, it's just a light (car icon with wavy tire tracks) on the dash that flashes when the wheels lose grip or spin.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If it's like the TDi, it's just a light (car icon with wavy tire tracks) on the dash that flashes when the wheels lose grip or spin.

I'm wondering what purpose is served by this? (Clearly I've been driving an 18 year old car for years). Seems like, duh, you'd notice that you're losing traction (I certainly do, I can feel it even if it's a split second) and it would just be a distraction when least needed.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm wondering what purpose is served by this? (Clearly I've been driving an 18 year old car for years). Seems like, duh, you'd notice that you're losing traction (I certainly do, I can feel it even if it's a split second) and it would just be a distraction when least needed.

The traction control lights let you know that the car is reacting to something. If you were just driving and had a little slip and your car started vibrating you might be concerned that there was a mechanical problem with your car.

Sponsor

Staff online