• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
:popcorn:Here's to hoping all the sunroof stuff is resolved properly. It may take some time. I know what chronic problems are like in a car. I had a new Ford F-150 that vibrated and after several dealer visits never was fixed. It got totaled and the problem disappeared.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So glad we didn't get a sunroof in ours.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I chuckled...

20934233_10111289447558474_6021239554828693767_o.jpg

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunroofs have been around for a very long time now. (though I much prefer a moon roof).
No excuse for them having problems any more... :doh: :huh: :eek:

The problem is VW went to these stupid full glass roofs with part of the glass being a sunroof. I have one in my Touareg and we never use it. There is such a small window for us to use the sunroof. We never use it on the highway and for local trips we are usually not in the car long enough or it is too hot and sunny or to cold. The shade is mostly closed except when the kids are in the back seat at night. I would do away with these things. Thankfully, ours does not leak.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I remember seeing YT videos the sunroof shade is semi transparent so you always have light coming from above, is there another opaque one or was that it? It would drive me nuts on really bright days driving like that.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember seeing YT videos the sunroof shade is semi transparent so you always have light coming from above, is there another opaque one or was that it? It would drive me nuts on really bright days driving like that.
The shade is perforated so it didn't block the light 100%.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's fine on bright days. It's not sheer. More like sun through linen. And actually, the glass is tinted, so unless you've let the car bake in the sun with the shade open until the car is roasting inside, you could almost not close the shade even in summer. I expected it to be an issue, but it wasn't. On the other hand, I don't live in Arizona.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know about the alltrac but I would not be without a moonroof. In fact every vehicle I have owned since 1982 has had one and my truck has the full pano roof ...oh wait no, I tell a lie... my 911 didn't have one... but it was a cabriolet...

But yes,I use it whenever possible...

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Phil, I see, as with the new Outbacks, you have a keyless ignition? How are you getting used to this? I am leery about this. Stupid question, but can you forget to turn engine off, being use to have a key to turn off and remove? Also, with the fob in your pocket, you must remember to give it to whoever is parking your car with Valet parking. What do you do putting it through a car wash? And, at least I can use my key to open my driver's side door if the car, or fob, battery goes dead. How would you get in your car if this happens? Other than that, the Alltrack is SWEET!! I drool every time I see one.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I see, as with the new Outbacks, you have a keyless ignition? How are you getting used to this? I am leery about this. Stupid question, but can you forget to turn engine off, being use to have a key to turn off and remove? Also, with the fob in your pocket, you must remember to give it to whoever is parking your car with Valet parking. What do you do putting it through a car wash? And, at least I can use my key to open my driver's side door if the car, or fob, battery goes dead. How would you get in your car if this happens? Other than that, the Alltrack is SWEET!! I drool every time I see one.
I have an S, it does not have the keyless ignition and IMHO, I am not missing it one bit.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier

I have it and I get annoyed when I have to take my key out of my pocket now. The system is pretty smart. It knows if the key is inside or out of the car. It won't lock the doors if the key is still inside somewhere. It beeps loudly if you open the door and the car is still on. Car wash? I sit in my car at the carwash so not sure what scenario you have in mind. There is still a traditional key in the key fob, so you can still start the car if the battery dies (I do think you have to pop a little panel off the steering column).

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife's Alltrack has the keyless, and yeah, it pretty much keeps you from doing something silly. She was unsure about it in the beginning but she loves it now, she complained her loaner had a key ignition LOL. My Mitsubishi Outlander has the same deal, if you get out of the car while it's still running with the key in your pocket, it makes a racket.
Funny story involving keyless ignitions...we visited my daughter in Austin TX a few months ago, had a Chrysler minivan. We went to a place called "The Oasis" Sunday evening (amazing sunsets...). When we came back to the car after dinner (3 hours later) I noticed the instrument panel lights were on. Holy S**T, the car was running the whole time! There was no warning that I did that, at least not that I heard. But it was nice and cool inside! LOL

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
"Car wash? I sit in my car at the carwash so not sure what scenario you have in mind."
Most of the car washes down here in NYC and outer boroughs you get out and the workers drive the car into the wash onto the mechanism that pulls the car through the wash. You then walk the building watching your car being washed on the way to pay the cashier.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Keyless entry frequently has me looking like an idiot.
  • Have been unable to lock the car doors when pulling over at a scenic lookout to take a picture for two minutes.
  • Weird combinations of starting the car, moving it a few feet and then trying to open doors on the far side when the key is still inside the vehicle. Seems to affect trunk as well.
Maybe I should just wear the thing on a lanyard around my neck.

I NEVER use valet parking. I'd walk ten blocks to avoid it. Have had those issues with fancy restaurants and (back with a manual transmission) would just ask where I could go on my own. Seriously, if they told me there was no option, I would just leave. This is just a way to extort money.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Picked up my new Alltrack S with that fabulous 6-speed manual transmission. I'll miss the 45+mpg from the TDI, but this car sure is fun to drive!
Good for you guys. We wanted a stick but it was still months out from when we needed to get a car.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
. I'll miss the 45+mpg from the TDI, but this car sure is fun to drive!
MAYBE..... As I reported in another thread, I averaged 36.5 mpg in my 2017 Sportwagen 4Motion on a long trip recently. Even around town, I'm averaging about 32-33. I never reliably got better than 42 mpg from the TDI and given the premium price of diesel around here, the cost difference for fuel is a lot smaller than I expected.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
MAYBE..... As I reported in another thread, I averaged 36.5 mpg in my 2017 Sportwagen 4Motion on a long trip recently. Even around town, I'm averaging about 32-33. I never reliably got better than 42 mpg from the TDI and given the premium price of diesel around here, the cost difference for fuel is a lot smaller than I expected.

Here is an update. (Keep in mind we live at a pretty low elevation of +/- 850' or so)

On the trip home (both VWs) SC driving the golf managed 33.2 mpg and the Jetta TDI was almost exactly 14 mpg higher at 47.4. That was running East on Interstate 64 on gently rolling terrain for and hour and 15 minutes or so. I expect the Golf's mileage well get a litte better with a few more miles on the car. I haven't yet checked the tire air pressure.

Our diesel prices generally run 20 cents higher than regular here.......BUT .....right now due to the storms in the south diesel is actually a few cents LOWER than regular.

I never thought after DieselGate that SC would consider another VW, but I have to say this vehicle was a great choice. She wanted Tornado Red and a manual transmission. The dealer found it and moved it 400 miles in a day and a half. It is a really fun car to drive, amazingly quiet and she's very happy with it.