• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2017 K2 Super Charger

4mercanuck

Hooked on Skiing
Skier
The SuperCharger was set up with a Marker MX-Cell 12TC system. I did note early on that the ski would be available foat because that is what was in the brochure but as with many things, there is change. K2 will only be offering the ski here with the MX-Cell 12 TC. This is not a compromise in any sort. While I and others have been somewhat critical of some Marker bindings, the MX-Cell is a fine choice and workds very well. I do like the work drive for adjustment, while it is not as easy as some bindings that have a quick finger adjustment, it does create a stonger interface which gives the SuperCharger a solid feel. The Marker system here also has a 0* ramp angle.

The SuperCharger v. the Rally: first of all there is a significant difference in turn radius, the Rally (in a 177) is about a 15M TR and the K2 is a 16.5M, this can be felt for sure, the Head wants to make short to medium turns where the K2 is more comfortable with medium to longer turns. One is not better than the other, just different. I did find the K2 to be a bit smoother too. Your concern with the shovel is warrented but not a detrament to the iRally, just inherrant in it's design, great if you want to be makign short to medium turns.
Thanks for the response... On my early season find and try list... along with the Kastle MX 84 and Stockli AX....and Head Rally..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get the same error when trying to open the pics in the OP. Would love to see them though...
Check your cache, and maybe refresh it, not getting any issues here.

carlcg11

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
After reading the positive reviews, I was curious to see where the SuperCharger would land in Ski Magazine 2017 gear review issue. Received the magazine the other day, and no mention of this ski in frontside, or East ski reviews. Did they participate in the test or did the SuperCharger not stack up against the competition?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After reading the positive reviews, I was curious to see where the SuperCharger would land in Ski Magazine 2017 gear review issue. Received the magazine the other day, and no mention of this ski in frontside, or East ski reviews. Did they participate in the test or did the SuperCharger not stack up against the competition?
Thats a very good question. Did K2 send a ski to the test? Did it not place or show, obviously it didn't win? Will it be in Skiing Magazines test? Because even though these are two different magazines, they are under the same parent company. I cannot speak for the magazines. We do most of our thumbnail reviews at industry trade fairs but sometimes he are fortunate enough for a manufacturer to send us some skis for our long-term test fleet, the SuperCharger is of those skis.

I said it earlier and I will say it again, this is the strongest ski K2 has offered this century and even going back to the original KVC (before it went to a cap). The beauty of this ski is not its brawn but how the can still be worked well. I am glad to see K2 make this ski.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our Supercharger test skis were sent to @smoothrides for a spa treatment and returned ready for battle. Cooper put an all new structure on the bases and retuend the edges to a .7*/3* bevel. We thought the Supercharger skied well before? Now, it's wow. Combining Smoothrides meticulous finish work with the serious capabilities of this ski makes for a level of performance that any technical skier will appreciate.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
The SuperCharger was set up with a Marker MX-Cell 12TC system. I did note early on that the ski would be available flat because that is what was in the brochure but as with many things, there is change. K2 will only be offering the ski here with the MX-Cell 12 TC. This is not a compromise of any sort. While I and others have been somewhat critical of some Marker bindings, the MX-Cell is a fine choice and works very well. I do like the work drive for adjustment, while it is not as easy as some bindings that have a quick finger adjustment, it does create a stronger interface which gives the SuperCharger a solid feel. The Marker system here also has a 0* ramp angle.

The SuperCharger v. the Rally: first of all there is a significant difference in turn radius, the Rally (in a 177) is about a 15M TR and the K2 is a 16.5M, this can be felt for sure, the Head wants to make short to medium turns where the K2 is more comfortable with medium to longer turns. One is not better than the other, just different. I did find the K2 to be a bit smoother too. Your concern with the shovel is warranted but not a detriment to the iRally, just inherent in its design, great if you want to be making short to medium turns.
My bad this is a review of 2017 - never mind. Hi I am thinking of the 175 2017 Super Charger for next year. Any way you can do a quick update on the 2017 iRally vs. Super Charger?

Last edited:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
The SuperCharger was set up with a Marker MX-Cell 12TC system. I did note early on that the ski would be available flat because that is what was in the brochure but as with many things, there is change. K2 will only be offering the ski here with the MX-Cell 12 TC. This is not a compromise of any sort. While I and others have been somewhat critical of some Marker bindings, the MX-Cell is a fine choice and works very well. I do like the work drive for adjustment, while it is not as easy as some bindings that have a quick finger adjustment, it does create a stronger interface which gives the SuperCharger a solid feel. The Marker system here also has a 0* ramp angle.

The SuperCharger v. the Rally: first of all there is a significant difference in turn radius, the Rally (in a 177) is about a 15M TR and the K2 is a 16.5M, this can be felt for sure, the Head wants to make short to medium turns where the K2 is more comfortable with medium to longer turns. One is not better than the other, just different. I did find the K2 to be a bit smoother too. Your concern with the shovel is warranted but not a detriment to the iRally, just inherent in its design, great if you want to be making short to medium turns.

Last edited:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Found this video review of the Super Charger from the folks at PDS while playing around on the interweb this evening:

I love Phillippe Juneau's reviews. He's charmingly enthusiastic and does a solid review of a lot of technical skis. He's started housing all of these under his Natural Skiers youtube channel (and Facebook page). I like how he always reviews French Ski company skis in French.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online