• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2017 K2 Super Charger

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
K2 approached us about helping it promote a model for next season. We discussed the iKonic 85Ti and the new, and very good, Pinnacle 88. These two skis are very important to sales; almost every shop that carries K2 will stock them because, quite frankly, they will sell a lot. Every review site is testing them. Skiers will get on iKonics and Pinnacles and be happy and have fun and have a large dose of the K2 warm and fuzzies. Like a comfortable pair of jeans ... and this is all good.

img_0893-jpg.6680

This new Super Charger, however, is going to make people uncomfortable. It is an image-busting ski for K2, and a very important one at that. K2 wants to show that it is still in the game and should be taken seriously. This is the ski I wanted us to focus on, the ski that I think skiers -- the hard-core technical skiers who are the demographics of this site -- need to know K2 is building. It is not always about sales; sales will come. This is about image, and respect. This is about an aspen/paulownia wood core, metal laminate, full tip-to-tail sidewall, and K2's ROX carbon cross-weave making a bad-ass ski. Think of a modern-day KVC.

img_0896-jpg.6683

When I am totally surprised or caught off guard by a ski -- either good or bad -- I make sure to get a second opinion (and a third). As soon as I got off the all-new Super Charger at Copper, I immediately sought out another one of our testers -- in this case, @FairToMiddlin -- and made sure he skied them. He had the same conclusion, better than expected. I made sure @Brian Finch tried them back east at Stratton, and, again, we had a winner.

• Who is it for? Technical skiers, Level II and III instructors looking for a world-class instrument.
  • Who is it not for? Eurosnobs, skiers who think the best hard-snow skis come only from Europe. This is the new Chevy Camaro kicking the BMW M4's ass in a recent Motor Trend comparison test.
  • Insider tip: The Supercharger is the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dimensions: 127-76-107
Radius: 17m@175cm
Size tested: 175

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
As a small mountain, eastern, hard snow skier, I ski only sub 80 carving skis at my home mountain. K2 always comes to our demo days, and, I can not say that any of their skis made me smile. Some were nice, just not what I wanted, and my belief was they targeted western soft snow. @Philpug called me recently and was really hyped-up about the SuperCharger's entrance into the 78ish class of hard snow carvers. He was comparing it favorably with the best in class skis in a very tough specialty group. Good to see K2 returning with a ski pointed at their original hard snow roots. So, next January, when the demo days come to Pa., I'll be sure to get on a pair.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dimensions: 127-76-107
Radius: 17m@175cm
Size tested: 175
Twin or flat tail? Guessing flat? Twin would make it an interesting frontside, bumps, and a little bit of park option.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a small mountain, eastern, hard snow skier, I ski only sub 80 carving skis at my home mountain. K2 always comes to our demo days, and, I can not say that any of their skis made me smile. Some were nice, just not what I wanted, and my belief was they targeted western soft snow. @Philpug called me recently and was really hyped-up about the SuperCharger's entrance into the 78ish class of hard snow carvers. He was comparing it favorably with the best in class skis in a very tough specialty group. Good to see K2 returning with a ski pointed at their original hard snow roots. So, next January, when the demo days come to Pa., I'll be sure to get on a pair.
I'll see you next year at the K2 tent! With any luck, demo day conditions at Blue and Elk will be better than this winter was. More interested in the Pinnacle 88 (I hear it's a stiffer layup then the 95), but would do a run on SuperCharger If enough time for it. I've pretty much forgotten how a frontside carver skis.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
See photos in OP.
This is what I get when I try to open the image links..
Pugski - Ski talk at a higher level - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I the only one who can't get this #%*@ing song out of my head every time I hear or read about this ski?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Am I the only one who can't get this #%*@ing song out of my head every time I hear or read about this ski?
Umm considering you're not from San Diego, probably yeah ... and I'm fairly certain it's become obvious to you that I've some pretty ƒµ©%∑d up songs running thru my head.;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll have to try this ski, if they have it for demo at the early season demo days esp. (Christy/Loveland and Ski&Golf/Keystone). I have a lot of respect for them for their fatter skis, from the 102 Shreditor (mounted forward) to the Pinnacle 118 (at 0) and Pettitor 120 (also mounted forward). I still don't understand why more people don't ski the Pettitor (other than around half the guys at the front of the line at Pali lift before the start of a powder day at the Basin, if you count the 116 Obsetheds [an older, much softer version of the Pettitor] and Powabungas too).

Note: To me, the Pettitor retains the best features of the final, fattest Obsethed, while eliminating the problem features; a major improvement.

Last edited:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've actually liked the harder snow K2's I've skied over the last few years.

I have actually skied the outgoing AMP Charger a number of times and loved it, thought it was K2's best ski and regret not actually buying one. Yeah, it's damp as hell, but it had a great shape that made it far more versatile than it's front-side only reputation belies. It was K2 smooth, but quick and stable. Does the new CHARGER retain any of the versatility of the outgoing one-or is it a hard snow, big angle, carve at all costs only tool (which, is a great thing too for a lot of skiers...just not this skier)?

I also thought the K2 Rictor 82xti was the most underrated and undervalued Eastern 1 ski quiver of the last few years.

And, if anyone is looking for a versatile, bump and tree worth play stick (or, most likeley, if anyone has a capable adolescent/ teen skier looking for such a ski)-honestly, the Shreditor 92 ought to be on your demo list. This years understated Black topsheet fixed the only ptroblem with that ski (anyone over 15 would have been very self conscious with the garish graphics of the original topsheet!).

Looking forward to trying the Pinnacle 88 and the new Charger.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've actually liked the harder snow K2's I've skied over the last few years.

I have actually skied the outgoing AMP Charger a number of times and loved it, thought it was K2's best ski and regret not actually buying one. Yeah, it's damp as hell, but it had a great shape that made it far more versatile than it's front-side only reputation belies. It was K2 smooth, but quick and stable. Does the new CHARGER retain any of the versatility of the outgoing one-or is it a hard snow, big angle, carve at all costs only tool (which, is a great thing too for a lot of skiers...just not this skier)?

I also thought the K2 Rictor 82xti was the most underrated and undervalued Eastern 1 ski quiver of the last few years.

And, if anyone is looking for a versatile, bump and tree worth play stick (or, most likeley, if anyone has a capable adolescent/ teen skier looking for such a ski)-honestly, the Shreditor 92 ought to be on your demo list. This years understated Black topsheet fixed the only ptroblem with that ski (anyone over 15 would have been very self conscious with the garish graphics of the original topsheet!).

Looking forward to trying the Pinnacle 88 and the new Charger.
The new Charger is not the old one, that is for sure.. The outgoing Charger was a high performance Rictor, it had the smoothness and dampening of that ski, you can feel the DNA of the rest of the Rictor collection. That ski had the performance range for a solid 5-9 skier, the new one is more for a 8-10 level. Make no mistake this is an all out halo ski for K2, think of "America, @#$% Yeah".

I skied the new SuperCharger over the past few days at Arapahoe Basin and compared it to some of the benchhmark skis in the hard snow category from Europe and I will say that the Charger not only held its own but also was at the front of the class in hard snow performance. Turn Radius in is in the medium to long range at 16.5M @ 175cm but that isn't bad. Some of the offerings here tend to be in the sub 15M range and they will make you work more than the K2 does. As far as versatility? K2 was willing to give up the Nth degree of versatility to achive more hard snow performance and again, i don't think that is a bad thing. The Super Charger's attributes and strengths are on the firn conditions. Cant you ski it inthe bumps or soft mank? Sure, but there are better options there, this is a runner of a ski.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Second what Phil just said. Demoed the Supercharger in a 175 length at the Basin this week. None of the lifeless, damp "K2 feel" that infected many of their skis over the past decade or so. It's a powerful but not overly stiff or burly ski that loves to run. It's most at home making GS-radius turns on the groomers, but will also power through the 8-10 inches of heavy spring crud we had last week at the Basin. Bumps are not its strong suit: just too firm. An excellent addition to a quiver that has a wider, more nimble soft-snow oriented ski, or a great one-ski quiver for a good, technically strong skier who who likes to rip on the groomers. This is not a ski for casual skidder, upper-body rotator who cruises. As an aside, I much preferred it to the new 2017 Head Titan (80 waist) or new Head Magnum (72 waist). Both were fine skis last year, if a bit firm, but both (and the rest of the new Head Supershapes from what I'm told) have been firmed up this year. Too bad. They might work as an all-day ski if you are over 200 lbs., but I can't imagine your enjoying them if you are much lighter. Where the Superchargers felt like a smooth, powerful extension of my foot and leg, ready to do whatever I asked, the Heads felt like two heavy bricks attached to the bottoms of my boots.
Ah, well...that's why we demo.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Update: Just demoed the 2017 Head Rally (76 waist) in the 170 length. Interesting. For whatever reason, it was a bit more supple and even-flexing than the Magnum or Titan. Odd. It's the middle-waisted model but felt different from its little and big brothers. Still firm and powerful, but not overly stiff and, I would guess, more appropriate for a wider range of skiers. Equal, if not necessarily superior to, the previous-generation Rally. In case I was imagining things, I talked to a few other testers and they confirmed my impression of the Rally having a different feel from the others.

Skied the K2 Supercharger again back to back with the Rally and still preferred the Supercharger, but now they are in the same ballpark and both are definitely worth testing if you are a reasonably accomplished skier looking for a dynamic front-side-oriented midfat.

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I took the SuperCharger for several runs over different days during the Mother's Day week experience at Arapahoe Basin. I spent the better part of Wednesday tearing from the top of Lenawee to the base. After the first "get the feel of the ski" run, it was game on. The ski is confidence-building rocket ship. The feel is locked in and solid on edge. This isn't a straight-lining ski. It lives to carve. Fast. Getting the K2 on edge is no problem either. I didn't have any tip hooking issues even when tightening the turn radius. SuperCharger is an appropriate name for this ski as the energy provided at the end of the turn charges you into the next turn. Extraordinary pop for sure. The SuperCharger feels as close to a full-on race ski as I've been on without all the extra work from the driver. It definitely prefers a firmer path but the slush, crud and soft bumps were not an issue for me. Anyone looking for to fill the trench-digging hole in their quiver needs to sample the SuperCharger.

4mercanuck

Hooked on Skiing
Skier
What binding is on the K2 Supercharger? my understanding is that it comes flat and the operator may choose their own set-up? If so what would you recommend? I also skied on the new head rally at 176 and felt that the ski power wise is what I am looking for but the shovel felt that it may involuntarily hook up on its own? Feedback please on the comparison between the two skis!
Thanks 4mercanuck

4mercanuck

Hooked on Skiing
Skier
Update: Just demoed the 2017 Head Rally (76 waist) in the 170 length. Interesting. For whatever reason, it was a bit more supple and even-flexing than the Magnum or Titan. Odd. It's the middle-waisted model but felt different from its little and big brothers. Still firm and powerful, but not overly stiff and, I would guess, more appropriate for a wider range of skiers. Equal, if not necessarily superior to, the previous-generation Rally. In case I was imagining things, I talked to a few other testers and they confirmed my impression of the Rally having a different feel from the others.

Skied the K2 Supercharger again back to back with the Rally and still preferred the Supercharger, but now they are in the same ballpark and both are definitely worth testing if you are a reasonably accomplished skier looking for a dynamic front-side-oriented midfat.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What binding is on the K2 Supercharger? my understanding is that it comes flat and the operator may choose their own set-up? If so what would you recommend? I also skied on the new head rally at 176 and felt that the ski power wise is what I am looking for but the shovel felt that it may involuntarily hook up on its own? Feedback please on the comparison between the two skis!
Thanks 4mercanuck
The SuperCharger was set up with a Marker MX-Cell 12TC system. I did note early on that the ski would be available flat because that is what was in the brochure but as with many things, there is change. K2 will only be offering the ski here with the MX-Cell 12 TC. This is not a compromise of any sort. While I and others have been somewhat critical of some Marker bindings, the MX-Cell is a fine choice and works very well. I do like the work drive for adjustment, while it is not as easy as some bindings that have a quick finger adjustment, it does create a stronger interface which gives the SuperCharger a solid feel. The Marker system here also has a 0* ramp angle.

The SuperCharger v. the Rally: first of all there is a significant difference in turn radius, the Rally (in a 177) is about a 15M TR and the K2 is a 16.5M, this can be felt for sure, the Head wants to make short to medium turns where the K2 is more comfortable with medium to longer turns. One is not better than the other, just different. I did find the K2 to be a bit smoother too. Your concern with the shovel is warranted but not a detriment to the iRally, just inherent in its design, great if you want to be making short to medium turns.

Last edited by a moderator: