• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
For the past 15 years Killington at 10 miles away has been the local hill. Pico is only 3 miles away but we drive past most days. Okemo was home for a decade with Magic/Bromley filling the bill for the decade before that. I like to consider all the Vermont areas my home turf.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our local hill is 35-45 minutes away-1200' with great snowmaking and we've been passholders for 20+ years. Lots of little niggling complaints, but the products is excellent for our vertical and natural snow challenged part of the country.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Cheers to the snow cat groomers and all snow making personnel. Lots of late nights and little appreciation. We would not have been able to ski one day last year without them at Blue Mountain in the Poconos.
We also have skied extensively at Bear Creek and they both have great groomer and machines also.
I have seen personnel groom Sasquatch at BC and Challenge at Blue. They have winches so they can groom the steeps. I think Sasquatch may be @ 47degrees at its steepest. It's scary to watch.
There is a fun snowmakers blog that Blue hosts: http://bluemountainsnowmakers.com
I would also list Blue Mt. PA as my local area with driving time 1.5 - 1.75 hours away depending on traffic. The grooming team does do a great job keeping the trails in shape. Also the Pub food is better than many ski areas and at a fair price.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My "local" hill is 4 1/2 hours away. But they do a wonderful job. Keep it up Granite Peak. Yes there are closer hills but this place exudes a vibe that is worth the drive.
I have friends that go every Friday. Might join them once or twice this year.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would also list Blue Mt. PA as my local area with driving time 1.5 - 1.75 hours away depending on traffic. The grooming team does do a great job keeping the trails in shape. Also the Pub food is better than many ski areas and at a fair price.
We love their cafeteria French fries. Always buy when we're there and a 10% discount with season pass.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I've been quite happy to have less than 300 vert with night skiing less than 10 minutes from home and a job there whenever I wanted one..

Today, I'd love to live near something like that again..

Humming theme song from Cheers... "I wanna ski where everybody knows my name.."
Well thanks to the wonders of the interwebs you might have a solution. come to Asheville and spend the night, who knows I might even be able to hook you up with some passes to our local mountain.
Wolf Ridge Ski Resort
700 ish vertical feet
and one great group of patrollers

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My 'north' skiing is slightly better... I drive a total of 5 hours to SKI 6 hours... it makes for a long day!
Tuesdays In The Snow make it all worth it :D
Ya, on weekends and holidays the joint starts getting crazy crowded around 1:30-2PM so we will usually pack it in about that time unless we are staying in town.. then we take a break and return around dinner time for a couple more hours when the crowds die down.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well thanks to the wonders of the interwebs you might have a solution. come to Asheville and spend the night, who knows I might even be able to hook you up with some passes to our local mountain.
Wolf Ridge Ski Resort
700 ish vertical feet
and one great group of patrollers
We did that a couple years ago.. Skied Cataloochee Friday, took mom to The Biltmore Saturday, skied Cataloochee again (just me) for a couple hours Sunday morning, then headed home. Next time I head that way, possibly to check out Maggie Valley with mrs crgildart, and ski Wolf with a kid or two, I will look you up

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've 3 bumps within in an hour but I drive the extra few minutes to the mountain where I teach and while at just over 900 vertical it's still a bump but t's a fun little mountain. I rarely spend my days off there so I put in my minimum requirement of days and spend the rest of my time in southern Vermont (Mount Snow, Bromley and Killington) which are about 3-4 hours away. I've done Mount Snow (3 hours) as a day trip but prefer to motel it since lodging isn't expensive. We motel it for Mount Snow and Kilington and have a friend with a house near Magic/Bromley so we stay with her whenenver we're at Bromley. I love the small town vibe of the mountain where I teach, it's like Cheers the place where everyone knows your name. Bromley and Mount Snow while a bit bigger are still small in the community feeling and that you get to know everyone (ski check guy, main bartenders, etc). Killington is much bigger to me so we haven't felt that small town community feeling but spend a lot of time there early and late season so we love it but for different reasons.

Last edited:

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
We did that a couple years ago.. Skied Cataloochee Friday, took mom to The Biltmore Saturday, skied Cataloochee again (just me) for a couple hours Sunday morning, then headed home. Next time I head that way, possibly to check out Maggie Valley with mrs crgildart, and ski Wolf with a kid or two, I will look you up
Absolutely look me up. I'm at wolf almost every weekend and as a patroller I have extra passes. Best way to stay in Asheville is through air bnb. lots of availability in the winter.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have friends that go every Friday. Might join them once or twice this year.
In addition to the staff the patrons are some of the nicest people I have met. I encourage you to make the trip.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Our little ski area outside of Omaha (I put this video together a few years ago). I learned to ski here as a kid in the 1970s.

Sponsor