• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@karlo maybe I'm missing something but I'm getting the sense that the direction you're going is a little off the rails.
Maybe I'm wrong. :huh:

Trying to figure out what the Austrian Federation has to do with ClifBar and Lila

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So, Hans Pum is Austria's Tiger Shaw?

I actually can answer that one. NO.

Pum was the alpine program director, which means he ran everything to do with alpine ski racing. He was promoted a number of years ago to the the the sports director, which is a position that as I understand it, all of the separate program directors report to.

Pum, I believe reports to the Austrian Federation head, who I think carries the title of President. I can't recall who that is, but his job is comparable to Tiger Shaw's. Tiger Shaw is the CEO. Runs the entire thing.

Pum runs all of the on-snow sports, and presumably none of the business side.

I'm pretty much guessing on this. I know Pum doesn't run the federation, and I know the Alpine program directors work for him.

So........why the question Karlo?
I agree with @Tricia ^^^^^^.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia,

How can you not like the original.....you obviously need to try every single flavor!

Also try the Luna bars, in particular Lemon Zest flavor. Huge with my wife, and daughter. I steal them from them often!
I do like the Lemon Zest Luna bars.
As for the original Clif Bars, I am also a texture person and I am not fond of the texture, however I know a lot of people who are.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to thread drift you all......just one more reply to T......lol.....just finished my order to Clif...a box o orange and a box o strawberry Bloks. Can I actually eat 36 packages?..yikes.
Yes.
(is that a simple answer?)

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
@K2 Rat,

I know that you know this, but it might be interesting for some others.

Lila was at her best, pre injury, ranked in the 40's in the world in SL, and headed lower. Right now she's ranked around 100. She's working that down. He GS WR has been around 200, for a few years. Her strength is SL, but she has been a competent GS skier. We'll see how this goes. I think we'll see her make big moves in SL, and to a lesser degree in GS.

Resi is really a SL skier. Her world rank is in the teens, I think. He GS WR is over 300. So that was a decent day for Resi as well.

Alice Robinson is in her first year as a FIS skier, and this level of racing, are and in Europe, is going to be a tougher challenge than her summer in Australia and NZ. She had a phenomenal summer. She's right now got a WR in GS of 130, with just over 16 points. Smoking anybody her age by a huge margin. Her SL points are great for a first year in November, around 50, with a WR of about 600. It will be interesting to see how this year works out for her, how they manage her schedule and training, etc. She is very young.

My hunch is that her 16 point GS profile may be a bit "strong" for right now. She may be skiing to those points consistently before too long. By any measure for a first year U19, 16 years old, she is a fast one! Wow.

Not surprised by the results. Actually somewhat surprised that Resi is there skiing GS. Her chance of scoring WC points even if the team chooses to start her are pretty minimal. And the GS does not have many slots right now, after Killington. SL is a whole different story for her; she should be a threat for top 10's. And she is always just fun to have in the field. Loves life.

Lila has some GS work to do, and will. Season is so early.

I have no insight as to the actual events of day, who may have had problems. mistakes, etc. which might have affected times. Maybe we have a Pugger who was there. All of my sources are too busy to share any info.

Nice day for Mitch Gagnon, the winner, BTW. She might have a very good year.

Some impressive skiing by the guys....including some current and recent NCAA guys.

Yes, Resi and Lila are not the strongest in GS and, as you said, nice to see Resi out there. I don't think Levi suited her well-- that pumping and generating speed on the uppper flat maybe too new school for her. I think we will see her have a bunch of top 15's and hopefully top tens and more. She is one of my favs- just really enjoying life and every day on the hill.
Yes, Alice got maybe ahead of herself with her summer results and a reality check, maybe more for NZ federation than her, is not necessarily a bad thing.
What a great field though today and wish I could have been there to watch !

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Even if I had a billion and could afford to fully bankroll the USST I wouldn't because it doesn't seem to be well run.

So........why the question

Not that I think it is not well run. I was just thinking, folks like Ellison want only the best, and they want control. They will benchmark other organizations and insist on being better. I think that's what it takes to get funding from folks like these. For them, this kind of thing is not a charitable cause.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, I've heard a few coaches suggest that LeBron probably could have been a pretty fair DHer! Pick the sport, pick the top athletes, and imagine if they had been on snow all of their lives. Scary. How about the Williams sisters? Our only ski athlete in recent years who could possibly flip the other way is probably Bode. Bode is a freakish athlete.

In keeping with the theme of American skiers struggling with limited support, there was a great book written in 1972 by Peter Miller, "The 30,000 mile Ski Race".

It focuses on US Ski Team athletes such as Tyler Palmer and Hank Kashiwa. I gave my copy to a US team member to show him his problems were nothing new, and told him to pass it on to a younger skier down the road. I wonder if it still is making the rounds?

There is a funny scene, where a bunch of national team coaches are unwinding in a hotel bar, and giving the Americans grief for some poor performances. They replied: "Laugh while you can. We have a secret team training in Alaska. They are ALL BLACK!" The Austrians gasped in panic. Finally one asked "you...you aren't going to bring them out for the Olympics are you? The American coaches couldn't keep a straight face any longer, and had the last laugh.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
original Clif Bars ... not fond of the texture
I like the texture a lot more when they are half-frozen after a few hours on the hill. A warm Clif... no thanks (well, unless I'm really hungry).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's just one person that matters in Austrian federation... Peter Schröcksnadel. It's the way he decides, and everyone else just dance and jump the way he says. So no worries, USST is not so fu**cked up as you think. Everyone else, including Austrians have exactly same problems. Only difference between US and Austria is, that skiing is national (and pretty much only) sport in Austria, so supply of young talents is pretty much endless. But as far as federation and corruption behind it goes, it's all same or most likely even worse. If you have issue with Marolt's DUI, then you would get heart attack just listening all the shit that's on Schröcksnadel head ;)

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Yes compared to soccer and cycling... come to think of it aren’t all the established sports run by corrupt or bungling management? My contempt for the NFL knows no bounds.

As my ancestor*, Gaius Petronius said:

“We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.”

*For all I know he may have owned my ancestors, not been one.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
20171121_123414.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
As for the supported Euro versus impoverished American athletes, we have it totally out of wack. Our colleges lavishly support imbecilic mutant steroidal criminals with decadent lifestyles... if they play football or basketball. I used to visit a friend at Notre Dame 35 years ago and also went to University of Oregon so I saw how spoiled and awful some (not all) of these guys were, I have zero respect.

Simply don't give scholarships to people who can't do the academic work or lack good character. Let sports fans discover alternatives.

This is where the character of the program is paramount. Knew 2-3 of the guys who played for Schembeckler... Another high school underclassman worked for him for her work study. Bo took no mess. The guys I had some contact with seemed to take their responsibility of representing the program seriously. Dated the younger sister of a family with two generations of starters/all big ten/youngest with NFL career and was defensive team captain as a pro from U Mich. Gentlemen. Big gentlemen, but gentlemen all. It seems Jim Harbaugh's modeling expectations for his players after Bo. Good on him win or lose. Anyhow, back to skiing. ogsmile

Last edited:

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
For anyone interested, she's signing at the Clif Bar tent Saturday at 11:30a ... at least that's what was on their board at 3pm today.

Sponsor

Staff online