• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lifespan of Injected Boot Liner ?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve jumped onto the Zipfit bandwagon, with many users stating they get many hundreds of days out of.

What is the expected liner lifespan of a foam injected liner from Strolz, SureFoot, etc , before it breaks down ?

PCSB

Booting up
Skier
The lifespan is based on many variables. The type of liner and bladder panels, upper cuff panels, type of foam whether soft or firm, and the way the liner is being used by the skier. In general, the Strolz liner has the longest lifespan because it has real leather panels with fabric
reinforcement, and a fairly firm PU foam. Strolz liners end up being quite thick since they are fundamental to the overall fit. I have seen Strolz liners last up to 20 years of basic usage, with strong usage easily at 10 years. Surefoot liners seems to be on the other end of the spectrum with very soft panels, stretch material and a soft 'memory' type PU foam. The softer foam clearly will break down faster under standard usage with a life span of about 80 ski days, which can be up to 6 years for the average skier. Sidas foam liners seem to fall in between the Strolz and the Surefoot, with about 200 hundred ski days being easily achievable. Race foam liners for World Cup boots use thinner panels, yet firmer foam, but since not much foam is injected, they will last a season of racing since they are exposed to much more pressure and hours compared to the recreational skier.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The lifespan is based on many variables. The type of liner and bladder panels, upper cuff panels, type of foam whether soft or firm, and the way the liner is being used by the skier. In general, the Strolz liner has the longest lifespan because it has real leather panels with fabric
reinforcement, and a fairly firm PU foam. Strolz liners end up being quite thick since they are fundamental to the overall fit. I have seen Strolz liners last up to 20 years of basic usage, with strong usage easily at 10 years. Surefoot liners seems to be on the other end of the spectrum with very soft panels, stretch material and a soft 'memory' type PU foam. The softer foam clearly will break down faster under standard usage with a life span of about 80 ski days, which can be up to 6 years for the average skier. Sidas foam liners seem to fall in between the Strolz and the Surefoot, with about 200 hundred ski days being easily achievable. Race foam liners for World Cup boots use thinner panels, yet firmer foam, but since not much foam is injected, they will last a season of racing since they are exposed to much more pressure and hours compared to the recreational skier.

Sidas PU Race are wonderful but start disintegrating after about 120 days. Still-a good investment as they are great.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At what point do you forgo getting new liners and just get new boots?

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great info @PCSB :thumb:

One of the guys who came to Austria with us in Feb has 30 year old Strolz boots, though he did get new liners done 10-12 years ago or so, and replaced some buckles along the way. They look like, well, 30 year old boots, something we all would have thrown out a decade ago. I need my boot to look good too. He was talking about getting his liners redone. I'm thinking: man, throw those away and get a new modern looking Strolz.

My other friend is also Strolz guy, but his are maybe 5 years old, so look modern at least. They are indeed a heavy boot. And the 4th guy on our trip just had Surefoots done on a Lange Shadow shell before our trip.

The reason I started this post is I'll have to see about living with the long-term "nuisance" of entry/exit with Zipfits. I admit, I'm a KISS kinda-guy and don't want a daily headache. My first 2 days getting in and out racer style were OK as temps were around freezing. But yesterday was colder and it was a lot of working trying to exit my boot back at the car. I'm not skiing today but tomorrow will be even colder so will see how it goes.

The Zips have shown me I CAN have a way better fit & control of my skis. So if the long-term nuisance is too much for my liking, I would $spring for an injected boot and amortize that cost over many years. The Atomic Mimic is also interesting too.

James

Out There
Instructor
I need my boot to look good too. He was talking about getting his liners redone. I'm thinking: man, throw those away and get a new modern looking Strolz.
If you need it to look good, forget Strolz.
But Strolz can build you a boot, and have shell in half sizes, and can switch cuffs and clogs.
The Strolz foam liner is $700 US. The boots are $1,400 I believe. No foam tongue, the foam also goes under the foot/footbed in Strolz. Whether that is good or not is debatable.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you need it to look good, forget Strolz.
But Strolz can build you a boot, and have shell in half sizes, and can switch cuffs and clogs.
The Strolz foam liner is $700 US. The boots are $1,400 I believe. No foam tongue, the foam also goes under the foot/footbed in Strolz. Whether that is good or not is debatable.

They look…unlike other boots yes, but I wouldn’t mind testing the Blue Race ones.

Seems however in Europe they only sell Tecnica :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Seems however in Europe they only sell Tecnica :huh:
It has to say Hannes Strolz on it. I guess they’ve had a split?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It has to say Hannes Strolz on it. I guess they’ve had a split?

Is that some other Strolz:

Edit: Obviously…damn lotsa Strolzes it seems.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes the 2 brothers had a split -> there is Strolz and also Hannes Strolz.
Strolz is the long-time brand with flag-ship store in Lech.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you want Technica, go Strolz. If you want what Strolz used to be, go Hannes Strolz. The Hannes side basically makes everything except the raw materials.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Edit: Obviously…damn lotsa Strolzes it seems.

Strolz is a common name in that part of the Arlberg.

The ski shop Strolz Sport und Mode started selling the Technica/Sidas combo at the start of the 2012/22 season, before that they sold Strolz boots. This might have been because Strolz Sport und Mode became insolvent at the end of 2020 due to the 1st Covid lockdown and had to be restructured.

It’s likely that Hannes Strolz lost money so decided to open a shop and sell the boots himself.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strolz is a common name in that part of the Arlberg.

The ski shop Strolz Sport und Mode started selling the Technica/Sidas combo at the start of the 2012/22 season, before that they sold Strolz boots. This might have been because Strolz Sport und Mode became insolvent at the end of 2020 due to the 1st Covid lockdown and had to be restructured.

It’s likely that Hannes Strolz lost money so decided to open a shop and sell the boots himself.

Your knowledge of the industry never ceases to amaze me man. How do you know all these things?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier

dx111

Booting up
Skier
I've been skiing a Heierling (Davos) foam-injected liner in an Atomic Hawx Prime 130 shell for the past 4 years (approximately 180 ski days) and the liners feel and look as good as new. No noticeable packing out since the first couple of days of skiing them in.

Changed shell this season in order to move to a tighter LV fit (primarily aiming for a lower roof in the forefoot and a tighter cuff fit) and got another foam injected liner and footbed from Heierling plus the usual assortment of shell grindings and punches to take care of my fairly wide forefoot and various bony protrusions (prominent lateral malleoli, Haglunds deformity on heels) in a downsized shell.

James

Out There
Instructor
I've been skiing a Heierling (Davos) foam-injected liner in an Atomic Hawx Prime 130 shell for the past 4 years (approximately 180 ski days) and the liners feel and look as good as new. No noticeable packing out since the first couple of days of skiing them in.

Changed shell this season in order to move to a tighter LV fit (primarily aiming for a lower roof in the forefoot and a tighter cuff fit) and got another foam injected liner and footbed from Heierling plus the usual assortment of shell grindings and punches to take care of my fairly wide forefoot and various bony protrusions (prominent lateral malleoli, Haglunds deformity on heels) in a downsized shell.
What do they charge for those liners?

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
Lost count of how many years ago I was fitted in the translucent green salomon boot with a thick strip of carbon up the spine. The boot was one size too large and had a heel lift fitted to bring me closer to the shell over the instep. This was combined with a conformable liner including foamed tongue.
Back then i believe the foams were denser so ought to last longer and during the fit i asked to get the fit "as tight as possible"
The fit lasted no more than 10 days under the above set of circumstances before i was clamping the buckles down to the point of shell deformity and some pain.
Im guessing but would be around 43 years ago I bought a pair of Dynafit 3F boots. They had to order in the size 5 for me but prior to foaming refused despite my pleas to put me in this boot and insisted I go with the size 6 "the foam will fill up the space". To many on here they will know the result !!! yep shin pain and banged up big toe.
The moral it that as so many others have said having the correct shell size and IMO also a boot with architecture and stance support that most suits your physical attributes (ooooopos scrub that colour is first priority, :cool: ) will likely have a major impact on how long the liner is good for.
Lastly for what it contributes I was fitted in the correct size Atomic WC both 150 and 130 boots (the carbon spined ones) and the Atomic foam liner. Note this was done in the factory and despite a shop fitter telling me they would not use the Atomic liner due to it leaking foam I think it is a great liner, the comment was "that is a lot of foam" meaning for what is a 'race boot' my skinny foot required a lot of foam in that shell. My supposition is that although for me this liner has not packed out the more foam that is required with a given shell the more it will pack out especially if indeed the new foams as less firm to begin with.

dx111

Booting up
Skier
What do they charge for those liners?

Liner plus footbed is CHF 800. This includes unlimited additional boot work on shell adjustment, liner fixes (e.g. tongue) for the lifetime of the setup.

You can bring your own shell which they are happy to work on provided they deem it fundamentally suitable for your feet, or they are happy to recommend and sell you a boot (typically at or close to MSRP level).

Sponsor

Staff online