• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Learned something today

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Today was the first day I got to try my kicker skins ( Fischer easy skins ). There's a climb that when the snow is good I can just go up on my S-Bounds, a few places where I have to herringbone up. Today had no traction at all, but the skins on and was able to climb strait up. Like the way they work.

Also learned that my Tectons really do release on a front fall even when locked in walk mode.

Another nice day and lots of fun. Saw one person heading up as I was coming down ( was on the snow just before 8 ).

Some pics from today.

20180216_083148.jpg

20180216_083539.jpg

20180216_085458.jpg

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Today was the first day I got to try my kicker skins ( Fischer easy skins ). There's a climb that when the snow is good I can just go up on my S-Bounds, a few places where I have to herringbone up. Today had no traction at all, but the skins on and was able to climb strait up. Like the way they work.

Also learned that my Tectons really do release on a front fall even when locked in walk mode.

Another nice day and lots of fun. Saw one person heading up as I was coming down ( was on the snow just before 8 ).

Some pics from today.

View attachment 39697
View attachment 39698
View attachment 39699
I have Vipec 12 on one pair of my BC skis and am looking for a narrower tour bias ski for low angle tours. What was it that helped you decide on the Tecton?

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I figure at some point I might become a somewhat competent skier and will want to do some more aggressive downhill. I originally had some Kingpins on this ski but they are awkward to change modes on without getting out of the ski. I went to the Tecton thinking they had a more aggressive heel clamp than the Vipec pin heel and are easy to change modes on. I use some Vipecs on my Epochs ( 68mm under foot ) and they work well there. Not that the S-Bound 125s are real wide ( 95mm under foot ) but I thought the Tectons would be a better binding for more aggressive skiing. For what you are describing, I think Vipecs are just fine.

This is my novice point of view. Reality is, the Vipecs would probably work for me on any ski. I have a new set of Vipec EVOs waiting for me to choose a ski.

I have Vipec 12 on one pair of my BC skis and am looking for a narrower tour bias ski for low angle tours. What was it that helped you decide on the Tecton?

Reactions: JPM

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Some pics from today.

View attachment 39697
View attachment 39698
View attachment 39699

That place looks awesome!

Wait, did you fall hard while skinning? and the binding released?

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
At that point skins were off and I was coming back down doing a pretty good clip ( for me ) in that section of trail. Just finished a turn and was on a straight. Not sure what made me fall but I fell forward. Any fall that causes the boot to pivot forward past a certain amount releases the toe. Where I have been going, I have not been locking the heel down on the downs ( not real steep, toe has plenty of drive ). Worked as expected.

That place looks awesome!

Wait, did you fall hard while skinning? and the binding released?

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For not steep skiing, I would go with a light pin binding Salomon mtn for example.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
For not steep skiing, I would go with a light pin binding Salomon mtn for example.
For narrower and lighter skis (say 95mm or narrower) those simple bindings make a lot of sense, specially if one needs to climb slopes with the skis strapped to the pack. And for multi day backcountry tours.

TS
Joel

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Those definitely looks minimalist and ideal for light weight touring. When I was originally looking for bindings I was looking for flexibility, good tour, good DH, easy mode switch ( meaning I could switch modes standing up using poles ), easy to use climbing aids. The Vipecs and Tecton work well for me.

Sponsor