• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Le Hockey

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Most hockey players play golf as well. I think it's a big attraction. There's a reason nobody wants to go to Edmonton and not just because the front office if in disarray...

yeah, wasn't it Pronger's wife who made a stink about being there? Anyway, players very often stay in Denver after retirement, as well, for similar reasons. We aren't exactly Scottsdale, but the weather is sunny and often mild, and the players can come and go as they please for the most part. I sat across the aisle from Roy at a Broncos game last year, and no one really bugged him. We were inside club level during halftime, and I sort of watched, with all these people milling about, only one couple came up and chatted with him, I don't even think they took a photo or anything. Can you imagine that in Canada? And it's Roy, not like people here don't know who he is.

My daughter played soccer with Pierre Turgeon's youngest for a few years, and he was never bothered. (They often played against Chauncey Billups' daughter; he wasn't at games often, because he was not yet retired like Pierre was, but he definitely caused a stir when he was.) Some friends lived next door to Jeremy Roenick in AZ, and he loved being there because no one cared who he was.

scott43

Skier
Yeah exactly Seg. I was eating in a restaurant here in Toronto and most of the leafs were there eating dinner. This was mid 90's. Gilmour couldn't get two mouthfuls in before some family was bugging him for an autograph. All of them. That gets tiring. Especially when they're equally as annoying when the team is losing.

This is what happens in Toronto when people don't like your game.. :roflmao:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/31/17104416.html

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Anyone sad to see the Russians lose at the World Juniors? Didja see the idiot that busted the penalty box attendant's hand when he smashed his stick? That's what I hate about the Russian teams, sulking bunch. All kinds of talent but selfish and sucky. Man. Glad to see the US get the bronze. Talented team, Matthews is sick.

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Caps losing streak ends at one. As a fan since '82, I'm past ready to see them win the Cup.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
Caps losing streak ends at one. As a fan since '82, I'm past ready to see them win the Cup.

They are looking good and it looks like they have all the pieces finally coming together.

scott43

Skier
Lafs and Tropical Depressions tonight..Battle of the Titans.. :roflmao: Although, the Depressions are only 3 points out of a playoff spot right now..not so bad..

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
I am most definitely not a Tampa fan but Little Jonny Drouin should check his ego, get a new agent, and suit up and play in Syracuse. I think Yzerman's response today was perfect.

scott43

Skier
I am most definitely not a Tampa fan but Little Jonny Drouin should check his ego, get a new agent, and suit up and play in Syracuse. I think Yzerman's response today was perfect.

You bet. The "Me" generation.. I want it all..and I want it now. I think Drouin is the problem, not the agent though.

scott43

Skier
All Star action....anyone?

Watched a bit.. I dunno, I hate the 3 on 3 personally. Like, that's nice..it's fun to play sometimes..skating is my forte..so for me personally it's good. But I just don't want to watch NHL players playing 3 on 3. Too much pond, not enough hockey. If the majority like it though, great, the game needs help in some markets. But for me, can't do it.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate this week every year! Put game on and seen some guy singing on a stage at center ice. Turned off quickly as I remembered just how much of a "show" it is. Let's get back to hockey

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I personally find this years three twenty minute games ridiculous. And 3 on 3?! No thanks.
Granted there was always 'show' and little defense the old way, but it was at least almost hockey...

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes! No doubt!

Looking forward more to the alumni game, I think. Roy's been in goal a bit the past month or so ... in fact, a few weeks ago there were some illnesses and injuries, and he looked into dressing as the backup. Some arcane rules prohibited it (or made it awkward, ie he would have to agree to back up any team, or something like that), so they pulled up the fourth stringer, but he looks good! Weird seeing him in net at morning skate tho.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, yeah, it was a blast last night. Beautiful, perfect weather for sitting outside, and the rosters were amazing. Wish Fedorov had been there, and Vernon or Osgood, but otherwise wow. Twelve HOFers were out there, I think, first ballot types. eta: 16 Norris trophies, too.

The game itself was a tad slow and obviously guys are rusty, but they were still pretty amazing and played hard. Roy and Billington (!) were fairly amazing. (Once again Avs lost the Corsi and won the game.) Fittingly, Kamensky scored the first goal, which was fitting because he scored the very first goal ever for the Avalanche, also in a win over the Red Wings!

We also got to see a sweet Hejduk tip, Bourque score after walking the blue line, and Sakic lean hard into a wrist shot. I forgot the fifth goal ... Yelle got his own rebound, that's right. A few sweet Forsberg passes, and the blocked shots! These guys were blocking shots like it mattered. Klemm went down full out twice in about 5 sec, which is mostly impressive because it means he got back up!

Anyway, the crowd was into it but in a happy way, we had a ton of fun with the RW fans around us (I guess it won't be the same for tonight's game).

I noticed Forsberg was wearing a Go-Pro during the warmup, and I just found the footage. It's super cool, watch the view of a player with maybe the best vision ever:

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/video/on-the-ice-peter-forsberg/t-277443410/c-41888503

I took a few shots (some better than others), it was such a gorgeous night. I hate rinks, I wish hockey was always outside.
IMG_9336.jpg
IMG_9333.JPG
IMG_9335.jpg
IMG_9346.jpg
IMG_9347.jpg
IMG_9352.jpg
IMG_9359.jpg
IMG_9363.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January