• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
At least SOME of the trails have been cut down, mowed, groomed, etc. Seems to be one of the first things they did. Part of their purchase agreement let them get a jump on some work, pre-purchase.
There's some pretty neat drone footage shot over the mountain this fall. I don't know if some of the trail work was done for the photo op, or whether it was a lot more.
I've heard some chatter that the bigger issue is the lifts having sat idle.
Nice job by the TV reporter. She's only 24. Went right after the key questions.
Sad to see Mrs. Berry, in her doorway unable to comment.

Muleski

Inactive
Majella Group Global HQ in Brisbane. For real. The "premier real estate developer in Queensland." Exactly ONE completed project, evidently. Ugh.

Perhaps they just like low/no overhead, which is OK. This does not fit with the grandiose artists renderings, etc. on their website.

Good report on a Maine TV station yesterday as well. Young reporter really starting to dig into this. Got the CEO on the phone, and he stuck to the "complex deal", working on lining up the financing, party line. I'll see if I can post a link.

The general theme of what I hear, if one was to be critical, is "did the Berrys and their advisors really do any due diligence?" My guess is "Some. Not enough."

Majella Group Global HQ.jpg

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
This is, was, has been a lying snake. Those who advised the Berrys, in their 80's to make this deal should be run out of town on a rail. Their former GM, is at the head of the list. As soon as the Majella Group had EB-5 opportunities posted in their website, this picture gained a lot of clarity. I firmly believe that had NO intention of ever operating the area. This guy is Quiros/Burke 2.0

Really sad. Hopefully the can revolve the non profit and somehow save this. I assume that that are not dumb enough to keep granting extensions to Majella and Mr. Monsour.

Sad.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate to say this, @Muleski , but I'm at risk for becoming a Sugarloafer. Mt Abram's too small for a home mtn., not to mention the short season. Shawnee ditto. The River ... well, that's not my thing. Wildcat - just as long a drive from my house and not quite as much there, imho.

Why don't YOU make the Berry family an offer?

Muleski

Inactive
Why don't YOU make the Berry family an offer?

My dad almost bought a big chunk of it, and invested the money in this fledgling area in CO, next to I/70. Friends of his. That probably worked out well as it will put all of his grand children and theirs kids and so on through college and more.

I have a close friend whose son has an interesting plan/proposal for the place. Don't know if they will dust it off. I don't want to be overly critical, but this was really bungled, IMO. Seriously so. You can do "due diligence" via the web and either end up in tears, or doubled over in laughter.

I feel very badly for Bill and Irene Berry, and nobody else. Other than the condo and home owners. Very sad.

I hear that the skiing has been great from those climbing to earn their turns.

What a fiasco.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Can we safely assume that the Berry's will now give up on this hare-brained scheme?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Can we safely assume that the Berry's will now give up on this hare-brained scheme?

Do the Berry's still have some level of control over Saddleback? I thought Saddleback was now officially in the hands of this Australian developer who apparently has no interest in re-opening? But I've long since lost track of all the turns in this story...

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do the Berry's still have some level of control over Saddleback? I thought Saddleback was now officially in the hands of this Australian developer who apparently has no interest in re-opening? But I've long since lost track of all the turns in this story...

My understanding is that the Berrys still own it. The closing papers were never signed; Majella never came up with the last (or maybe even the first) check. The Berrys need to cut their losses and start over. However there is a long track record of A) Their wanting what has long shown to be an unreasonable amount of money vs. what the market will bear, and B) A conspicuous lack of interest on the part of buyers.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
If Mabel's hasn't paid, it shouldn't be too hard for them to change plans, right?

Muleski

Inactive
As I understand it, the buyers signed an agreement to buy it, and put down a deposit {amount undisclosed} last June. The agree allegedly called for a final closing within six months. The buyer had originally stated that it would happen much sooner. They also had an agreement in place that buyer could begin to work on readying the place, to hopefully open, or to at least catch up on some deferred maintenance.

The buyer hired some staff, and some minor work was visible. Then came questions as to a closing? When will they close? Is a closing scheduled? Have the closed? The only confirmed info was essentially "not yet." In what I have always found a bit strange, the Berrys "advisor" who is their former GM {and as he reminds folks, a lawyer} frequently posts on social media. He alslways has stated how "complex" a deal this is....going back three years. He's under an NDA . I get the impression that the original last date to close was in December and that the Berrys have granted extensions.

BUT, the ex GM states that to close, you need a check, so the first party to put a valid check on the table buys it. Strange. The people hired as senior staff by Majella have allegedly been pair for a month or so, then were not paid, and I have no idea if any are still working. The buyer allegedly signed a contract with Dopplemeyer for a new lift, and put down a deposit. I'm guessing that who EB-5 payments would have covered both deposits.

Basically there was great fanfare on June, some press and stuff posted on their Facebook page in the summer and early fall. And almost crickets since then. Which obviously inspires no confidence and a lot of doubt.

There was a pretty active non profit formed, but the ex-GM said all along that they had multiple buyers, and first one to make the deal would win. Not much of a race. Three years time.

I think that @Tony S is on target re: the price. This was, in retrospect a terrible investment. Luckily the Berrys have a lot of resources and a VERY modest lifestyle. The love Western Maine, and Saddleback. Now they are pretty elderly. When they made the announcement that they would not open unless the were able to finance the new lift, three years ago, once again a lot of people questioned their judgement and advice.

They have lost, regardless of whether they untimately sell for $3Mil, $5Mil or more, a lot of money. Rumors are that they invested over $40Mil, post purchase. It never operated in the black. Sad.

So, I would GUESS, that they were "sold" on this deal by a slick team. People who I know seriously question the amount of due dilligence done on this. I hear rumors that the Berrys are a bit "frugal", in terms of how they went about this and what they may have spent on advice. This is not like selling a house in Western Maine.

Also rumors that they just wanted to put this behind them. Be done. Of course now, many are voicing that if they love their home state and Western Maine, they would have worked with the non profit and not with Majella. Lots of second guessing.

The whole thing is sad. One key learning is that Saddleback is NOT a really attractive business venture. It's been a challenge since it first opened. That is really a tough one to accept as the skiing can be great, and if the woods are full of snow, pretty phenomenal.

Never had 100K skier days. Tough location. So many people are pulling for it. Amazes me that the non profit can't swing this. Maine is a very interesting state. There is a lot of very "quiet" money there. A lot among people who one would think would like to preserve the vast land. Seriously, people who could cut a check without thinking for the full price.

We'll see how it unfolds. Many months ago, a friend who had one business meeting with this group a few years ago filled me in that "this guys have no money", and pointed me to the EB-5 opportunities section on their website. For a few people, that was a huge red flag.

Some say that Majella will never walk away from the deposits. Could be that they have no choice, and in fact already have.

Don't know whether their last extension has run out.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Berrys seem to care about the region, but they and their many children are fools. Money makes you rich, not smart.

They have made many, many mistakes and this is just following the pattern. Anybody and everybody with an internet connection was able to question the credentials of the Majella Group - except the Berrys. The Berrys have constantly overvalued SB and they have access to the real numbers. They claim to have spent $40 million (!!??) and still needed to replace the main lift. They spent $13 million on the lodge renovation at a place that never saw 100K visits. They put the place for sale in 2012 with an asking price of $12 million for 400 acres of property that includes the ski trails and lifts, the base lodge and most of the surrounding 121 units and excluded the other 7600 acres. Here it is over 5 years later and they are still being taken for a ride by an Australian carny act.

These are not the decisions of smart business people.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if inquiries have been made into sponsorship by the Libra Foundation, which has successfully resuscitated other winter sports venues in the state, including my habitual xc area, Pineland.

Muleski

Inactive
Duplicate in error. @Moderators, please delete. Thanks and sorry for the extra work!

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Read these two, as well. Same news as ^^^^. This has now become almost unbelievable.

http://www.newscentermaine.com/mobi...isa-program-according-to-lawsuit/97-530758736

https://www.scribd.com/document/374557415/Saddleback-Plans#fullscreen&from_embed

The first concerns a lawsuit. Asian investor accusing Majella of defrauding him, and collecting a $5Million fee to obtain an Australian Visa, under the SIV program. Guess what.....money now all spent. Looks like some of it may have gone towards the Saddleback deposit. linking the dots.

The second one is presentation of the most grandiose, pie in the sky, literally INSANE set of plans for Saddleback. I presume that this was perhaps going to used to convince foreign investors to go in as EB-5 investors, or otherwise. Nobody in North America could be fooled that badly, IMO. No chance on earth of this ever happening.

I can't believe that this seems to be getting even worse. So sad.