• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Hi all - I'm looking ahead at the current ski season with 3 kids age 6, 8, and 10. Having kids 2 years apart has worked well so far for passing down boots and skis, but this season things went a little sideways. The trouble is that my sons (6, 8) have slowly come closer to my daughter's height (she's 10), but my daughter's feet are still growing apace. So when I had them try on our gear this afternoon my sons fit into the next size boots, but I'm apprehensive about whether they are ready for the next size skis.

I looked at ski-size and boot-size charts online and feel like I'm getting close to knowing what I need. But I'm not sure. What I'm looking for is advice about the right ski and boot size, especially for the two older kids. The youngest one (6) is still a beginner, but the two older ones are intermediates. They can zoom down blue runs and go carefully down groomed black runs. (Just FYI we ski in Big Bear outside Los Angeles as well as the Sierras: June, Mammoth)

6yo - is gonna use 20.5 boots and 110 cm skis
8yo - the 22.5 boots he's inheriting fit good but are the 130 cm that go with them too long for him? He's 52 inches tall.
10yo - pretty sure I need to get her 23.5 boots but wondering if 130 skis are still the right size. can I go up a little in size? she's 54 inches tall.

I like to keep the sizes staggered if I can so the kids can grow into their sibling's gear. I have had good success getting gear online, especially getting demo/rental stuff on eBay. This is why I'm asking you all, and not going into a store. In any case, the nearest ski stores are a long ways away from where we live here in Los Angeles.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In your situation, I would probably buy a new ski a size up and give it to the more advanced skier of the two. Keep in mind that weight plays into the ski size decision as well. I don't know much about kids' skis anymore, but there are some great deals out there today. I was browsing this site just for fun and checked these out: http://www.altrec.com/ski/skis/?gender=kids&ski_length=0+-+149&facets=true

Alternatively, Goldsmith's(Big Bear) has seasonal rentals. That allows you to switch out sizes if you need to.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think you can just go by the typical rental shop rule of size from chin to forehead of skier.
You also have better idea of the skiers personality. if is more aggressive skier that likes to push into the turns and spraying snow go longer, if they are prone to shy back or lose confidence in tough areas go shorter so they can fall back to their turns.

if its a fatter more freeride ski twin tip or significant rocker go a little longer. versus a skinnier ski with traditional camber with flat tails go shorter.

i recently got my nephew and neice skis. the nephew will pop up from crashes and want to go again so i sized him to forehead. the neice gets scared and loses confidence if she crashes so she gets chin height skis.

also keep in mind the season is just starting, so by january they will be 1 or 2 inches taller.
finally if you are buying used from a reputable place, most will accept a return on thr ski even if you took it up for a weekend so don't feel you are locked.

for boots its a matter of their foot size. measure in cm and thats the correct boot size.
fwiw i bought the nephew and niece the roces adjustable ones.

finally the skis bought i chose specifically tohave the system bindings, so no mounting issues, and potentially can get some buyback or tradein at you ski store. i was intrigued that skis.com will sell you a kids used system ski roll of the dice for 159 which seems like a good option.

Last edited:
TS
river-z

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Thanks for the advice and the links.

I held up the skis next to my kids. The 130 cm comes up to my daughter's nose but goes just over my son's head.
It probably doesn't make sense to have him on longer skis since he's fairly cautious and she likes to zoom.
So, thinking this through, I'll probably get him skis and her boots.

That will line up the ski sizes to 110, 120, 130. ...(from 90, 110, 130)

And the boots to 20.5, 22.5, 23.5 ...(from 19.5, 20.5, 22.5)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If your daughter likes speed, and considering you have 2 younger kids waiting for the gear, why not get her some bigger skis too? 140 cm should be about head head now, probably forehead by mid season..
I don’t know about your area but here in MN we get used kids skis for less than $50 on Craigslist or at the ski swap.