• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep your probe in it's drawstring pouch?

Do you keep your probe in your pack -

• -'naked', just in the tool pocket of the backpack

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • -in the little pouch it came in, then that inside the tool pocket of your pack

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you pack your probe, do you keep it in the draw cord little stuff sack it came in, or slide it into the backpack without any extra packaging?

What are your reasons for your choice?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When you pack your probe, do you keep it in the draw cord little stuff sack it came in, or slide it into the backpack without any extra packaging?

What are your reasons for your choice?
You are in Duluth, is your probe DeWalt or Black & Decker?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've trashed the quick tensioner on one probe just from carrying it around a lot so in its sleeve offers a little more protection. The extra time to deploy is maybe 10s tops ( and in fact probably stops it snagging on the pack when drawing) so doesn't feel a big deal. I would recommend getting up to speed on tactical shovelling.

teledance

Booting up
Skier
In a recent refresher the instructor was very insistent on no pouch. The reason being it could get lost and confuse any search dogs.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
No pouch for me. Quicker access, one less thing to carry, less faffing about to remove.

But then I have a dedicated bc pack that has a little shock cord sewn into the avy tools pocket to keep things tidy. Most bc bags have a sleeve for probes. If I didn't have some to keep it tidy I'd probably use the little bag to keep anything from getting snagged when in a rush to draw it. But I'd keep it unzipped if it had a zipper.

Dave J

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Don’t use the pouch. It’s a needless step to get the probe out when seconds count.

And leave the skin bag in the car, too. Wasted precious time in the bc.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Because I hadn't thought about it.

I will now remove from pouch

Ditto. I used to have a backpack where the pouch was of little additional extra weight (the backpack weighted about a ton) , plus not having the dedicated probe pouch in it, the pouch helped keep things tidy, untangled and organized.
This season I've bought a new backpack (BCA Float 32 w/ inflatable "balloon") with separate avy (PS) equipment compartment, and a dedicated sleeve for probe and one for shovel handle...so I'll have a look and think about removing the probe pouch...When I transferred the equipment form the old backpack to the new, i did transfer everything like it was, I hadn't thought about it. Thanks to this thread for this...
Little weight gain but more consequential time to gain, specially when under pressure.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see the replies, especially from the people whom it caused to think about something they hadn’t considered until now.

Nobody

Skier
Had a look at my setup - Probe (an ortovox 240 cm model) sticks out a good 1/3 portion of its dedicated pouch in the Avy equipment compartment...Need to try w/o the drawstring pouch and see what happens inside that...

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I keep my probe out of pouch and strapped to shovel handle with Voile straps. Allows shovel and probe to be pulled out in one motion. Saves time, prevents having to search for probe and keeps probe from entanglement with other gear.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Good question to ask! I use the sleeve only when traveling when my probe is in my ski bag. When the probe is in my pack, I definitely do not use it. I have a dedicated sleeve in my avi tool section of my JetForce pack that accommodates the probe. I want to be as fast and efficient when assembling my avi gear and also want to limit fiddling around with small zips or drawstrings on any gear that might necessitate the removal of my gloves. I'm definitely big on keeping my gloves on in a rescue. My 2 cents....
- Matt

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's been a lot of people in the news lately who are in big trouble for taking their probes out for all to see. Let's be careful out there.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just the probe, no bag. And no skin bag either except for storing at home when not in use.

Nobody

Skier
Good question to ask! I use the sleeve only when traveling when my probe is in my ski bag. When the probe is in my pack, I definitely do not use it. I have a dedicated sleeve in my avi tool section of my JetForce pack that accommodates the probe. I want to be as fast and efficient when assembling my avi gear and also want to limit fiddling around with small zips or drawstrings on any gear that might necessitate the removal of my gloves. I'm definitely big on keeping my gloves on in a rescue. My 2 cents....
- Matt

Good point also, I always carry a spare pair of gloves in my pack, usually a lighter model (windstopper material or leather), to use in an emergency (es loosing one of the gloves after taking it off). I also have purchased a thin pair of woolen/synthetic gloves to slip underneath the primary ones, for additional thermal insulation and to keep the hands freezing if I have to take off the primary ones to work on the Beacon (out of boundary) or if on the groomers for whatever reason. I used to do that years ago, with a thin silk undergloves pair, but couldn't find the product anymore in shops (usually in motorbike shops, like the under the helmet balaclava for motorcyclists, silk was very light and very warm at the same time) and let the subject rest for a while...until this nov, when I found this specific thin gloves (from BD, "lightweight wooltech" from "liner series", if interested).
BTW recently, while discussing with a guide, he suggested that with present day probe weights, it would be a good idea to carry a second probe, to use as landmark during a "multiple" search...we then agreed that a pole or anything else (as a glove) could work as well though.

Sponsor

Staff online