• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We had double sessions when I was in High School. We'd be at school at dark:30 and be on the slopes by 1:00. We wasted no time changing.

cranmore course setting.jpg

Knee pads were essential. We also taped pads over our knuckles. Head XR1s, Scott boots, Look bindings, Levi Strauss pants, Bouton goggles.

cranmore course setting - colorized.jpg

Thanks to @Dave Petersen for the colorized version. If someone can find the version with the orange skis, it'd be sweet. I know it's out there but search didn't find it.

Last edited:

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
We had double sessions when I was in High School. We'd be at school at dark:30 and be on the slopes by 1:00. We wasted no time changing.

View attachment 32919
Knee pads were essential. We also taped pads over our knuckles. Head XR1s, Scott boots, Look bindings, Levi Strauss pants, Bouton goggles.

View attachment 32920
Thanks to @Dave Petersen for the colorized version. If someone can find the version with the orange skis, it'd be sweet. I know it's out there but search didn't find it.

Hold on a second.... I understand knee pads, tape on knuckles, Levi's, Look bindings , Bounton ( yes!!) . But Scott boots ? :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That is a classic! Piz Buin bib! I wonder how many people here even know what it was!

Suntan lotion is what I remember.. Looks like they still sell it via online outlets. Wasn't it banned in the US for being carcinogenic or something??

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Frankly, I’m a techer too. CCT class of ‘74. I grew up in Canton and skied at Clarkson’s 7 Springs and The St. Lawrence Snow Bowl. Helped my Dad do the surveying alignment for the jumps at the Snow Bowl.

Did you ski at 7 Spings?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Suntan lotion is what I remember.. Looks like they still sell it via online outlets. Wasn't it banned in the US for being carcinogenic or something??

Yeah actually called glacier cream. I first remember it from when I was a kid living in Switzerland in the sixties. Pitz Buin is a mountain that sits right on the Swiss-Austrian border.
I guess they are still going strong. You can buy their products on Amazon!

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
@Frankly, I’m a techer too. CCT class of ‘74. I grew up in Canton and skied at Clarkson’s 7 Springs and The St. Lawrence Snow Bowl. Helped my Dad do the surveying alignment for the jumps at the Snow Bowl.

Did you ski at 7 Spings?

Yep I skied at both places and was on the CCT team, I was there Fall of 77 to Spring 80... broke my slide rule/TI-80 and never did Calculus since.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep I skied at both places and was on the CCT team, I was there Fall of 77 to Spring 80... broke my slide rule/TI-80 and never did Calculus since.

Frank, I suspect most folk here won't even know what a slide rule (guessing stick)is! For those of you who don't it was the original calculator ...and no batteries required!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Frank, I suspect most folk here won't even know what a slide rule (guessing stick)is! For those of you who don't it was the original calculator ...and no batteries required!

Talking about a blast from the past. I remember I had the TI-50 back in college. Couldn't afford the HP. The TI-50 was $150. Lots of money back then.
Funny thing is we (all of us) ALWAYS carried a slide rule in our bag along with the calculator. Just in case.

Still have the slide rule in my drawer to this day. Memories.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Talking about a blast from the past. I remember I had the TI-50 back in college. Couldn't afford the HP. The TI-50 was $150. Lots of money back then.
Funny thing is we (all of us) ALWAYS carried a slide rule in our bag along with the calculator. Just in case.

TI 50 and Slide Rule still in my desk but the TI 50 I have now is different than my original TI 50.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Actually, I'm betting there are a lot of people on this site that remember and used both the slide rule and the TI 50.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I think I had a TI too because it was the HP that required "Enter" each time and I was used to the simple adding calculators from work? And I think when I needed to buy a scientific calculator they were more like $450 in 1977 dollars.... equivalent to a loaded MacBook Pro nowadays?

If I reminisce anymore I'll get banned because I'll be forced to make the point that modern education is dumbed down and middle class kids no longer do STEM in favor of being lawyers because we killed off the only government program that ever worked and provided a peaceful national goal and purpose....

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
frankpetronio_1984skiing.JPG

Peak Frank 85-ish... Holimont (Ellicotville, NY) post coaching University of Oregon. Let's see... Lennox Hill for the ACL, Serac 4-way stretch pants (these were great), Lange Ti (?) size 11 shells for my size 15 feet, Marker MRR with Explodomats, probably my favorite 213 Rossi SMs that were race stock ROC construction. I'm sure I had a Marker safety strap tied around the other knee. Probably one of the best ski days ever I bet. And I think it was shot with my little Olympus XA camera.

The cool thing about skiing is that even 33+ years later you won't have the same hair or body but you can still make a few turns that are as good as ever.

Last edited:

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
College race at Greek Peak NY in 1979. 205 Spalding Squadra Corse , Marker explodomats, Lange bangers , K2 poles with large baskets , Silvy Tricot sweater , CB sports pants ( pre GS suit era for me) , Cebe goggles and a safety strap below left knee (can't see but I know it is there !)

IMG_7371.PNG

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 32909

My old jumping skis from Clarkson College of Technology. I wasn’t much of a jumper compared to the Squareheads our betters at St.Lawrence used to import. Jimmy Carter era.

Share your pix, I’ve been editing....

Such fun memories of my Syracuse University team where we competed in GS, SL, jumping and X-C. All of our jumpers were alpiners, but not me !! One broke in leg in a jumping fall. We were NCAA D2 and Clarkson was in our league. I think the league stopped jumping maybe after my sophomore season in 1980, but think we continued with cross-country for the next couple of year. Of course, NCAA D2 was eliminated when USCSA arrived on the scene.

We had an annual carnival at West Point, but I think it was only held once in my four years due to lack of snow. Really fun weekend as they put us up in the Thayer hotel on campus and we eat dinner in the mess hall with all the cadets. All the teams were spread out among the tables and we went in first and sat down. All cadets then came and all sat down at the exact same time. Each table had a plebe assigned to it and that guy hardly ever got a chance to sit down. Upperclassmen put on a show for us: "More bread" "we need more butter" "More water" etc. Cool little ski hill right on campus and I remember hot-dogs in the small base lodge were 25 cents. Going to Norwich U for Easterns was also fun to ski on another college hill.

How many meter jumps were used back then for college events ?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember jumping on what was I think a 40 meter hill (at Squaw) in college in the 70s. Only a couple guys looked remotely competent. We might have had a 20 meter option. Still terrifying. I know that when I took the "Wide World of Sports" fall, it was on the 20 meter jump (training at Boreal). Fortunately, there's not that much energy in just 20 meters if you land smoothly on your back. Interesting ski release - my feet pulled clear out of the boots and I ended up barefoot at the bottom of the jump. Gave up nordic jumping after that.

Great college ski team memories - even though I didn't know how to ski. I learned a lot.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January