• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Japan 2023-2024 Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Didn’t look like there was a Japan specific resorts & conditions thread so I figured I’d make one.

We’ll be in Japan from 2/9 to 2/19 and will be in Niseko 2/12 to 2/18.

The forecast looks like skiing at home in Washington State in a normal year. Highs around freezing and some rain/snow mix one day. But we’re still
skiing in freaking Japan. Just without that full Japow experience.

IMG_7158.jpeg

TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
We arrived in Niseko last night local time. 3rd night in Japan and I’m still battling the 3-4 am wake up. Last time I was in Asia it wasn’t this bad but that was a decade ago and I was just over 30.

Plenty of coverage but there’s not a ton of fresh powder which was no surprise from the weather conditions and temperatures.

Also, plenty of people are carrying around skis that are more suited for a Western Washington day with maybe a new inch or two. Lots of mid 90mm width skis. My 108mm width skis might be a little much, but they can still work on a groomed run and can bust cut up chop just fine. If we weren’t cat skiing one day I’d have bought my Ripstick 96s.

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpeg
    IMG_7339.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 5

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hokkaido Trip Report 2/1/24-2/11/24

If you are planning on a first time trip to Hokkaido I highly encourage the use of a tour operator, in our case Whiteroom tours. We were in Hokkaido 2/1/24-2/11/24 and made all land arrangements with Whiteroom including a guide for 3 days skiing in Niseko and 3 in the Furano region. There were no big dumps while we where there just a steady 8-10cm with two 18-20cm days. With a preference for quality (fresh powder) vs quantity our guide checked conditions daily at ski areas within an 1.5 hour drive. The result was 5 of 6 days with lots of fresh powder turns from boot high to crazy deep cold dry snow. We were on downhill gear, so no skinning and at most 10-20 minute boot pack to mostly out-of-bounds stashes in the trees. If we had been on our own we would have been limited to Niseko United and the Furano ski resort, which like any major resort gets skied out pretty quickly.

We skied a different area each day so my impressions of each area are limited to what we actually rode:

Day 1: Rusutsu - The inbounds “powder areas” were pretty chopped up but very skiable with some fresh turns. Seems that the resort runs along a number of ridge lines so we traversed down the ridge lines before dropping down into the trees for some fresh waist deep turns. As our guide said: “Japan come for the powder, stay for the traverse”.

Day 2: Kiroro - Spent the day skiing out of bound trees that went down into a creek bed. Great knee-high turns in the trees with a runout just above the creek that got more dicey with each run.

Day 3: Niseko Honozano - Only day we spent at Niseko United. We were staying in Niseko Grand Hirafu so it was maybe a 10-15 minute drive to Honozano which tends not to be as crowded as the other Niseko resorts. We spent the morning skiing boot to knee-high stashes in the trees. We then took lifts up above tree line where Grand Hirafu and Honozano converge. The highest lift is a fixed single chair. From the top of the chair there are entry gates. It was a bluebird day, the gate to the top Mt Niseko was open and there was an ant line of hikers heading up there for maximum vertical. We were not up for the hike so side stepped a bit up through an entry gate into a wide open bowl that funnled down into a gulch to take us back to Honozano. The bowl was tracked out but it was very soft chop and tons of fun. Once in the gulch there were fresh tracks to be had off to the sides.
DSC03861.jpeg IMG_0590.jpeg

Day 5: Travel day, 4 hour drive to north to Furano, Central Hokkaido.

Apparently Central Hokkaidon doesn’t get as much snow as Niseko and there was a persistent high pressure preventing storms from moving through. Still we were getting a few cm of fresh snow every day and it was cold, -6 to -12 centigrade, so whatever snow fell stayed cold and dry. It also meant that the main resort, Furano, was getting played out. We never ended up skiing Furano.

Day 6: Sohoro Ski Resort - Sohoro has a Club Med resort about an hour from Furano. Upside here is that it was not crowded and most people stuck to the groomed runs. Our guide took us into the trees in and out of bounds for boot to knee-high turns all day.

IMG_0248.jpeg

Day 7: Kamui ski resort - No accumulation was expected this day in Furano. Our guide was hoping that the Kamui ski area might get some fresh snow during the day. Didn’t really happen, still got some good turns in, stopped early and headed for a really nice onsen on the way home.

Day 8: Asahidake - Asahidake in Daisetsuzan National Park is the highest mountain in Hokkaido. It’s not really a ski area, there are no set runs but skiing is allowed. There is a tram that drops you off below the summit and two cat tracks set to get you back to the tram when things flatten out. All I can say is that was the deepest, driest powder I have ever skied. Totally crazy. There was fresh snow and for Asahidake it was really busy. With the tram running every 20 minutes our guide said to expect 4 runs for the day. There was plenty of fresh tracks at the beginning of the day and he did a great job of find stashes as the day went on. Visibility was poor so we never so the top of the mountain and the first few turns were tentative until we got into the trees. Did I say it was deep?
DSC_7264_edited.jpeg DSC_7450_edited.jpeg

Day 9: Travel day to Chitose
Day 10: Fly home

TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Niseko Hirafu & Hanazono conditions - 2/13

Starting from the Hirafu base, we skied almost every lift out of Hirafu and everything out of Hanazono.

The famous Japow was absent, due to temperatures at or slightly above freezing and no recent accumulation in 24 hours. We found our best runs off the King hooded quad chair and the Hanazono #3 hooded quad chair. Off piste was skiing pretty well for a day that reminded us of being back at home in the Pacific Northwest. Lower on the Hanazono side we definitely hit some icy patches on Stairway to Heaven.

Deb Armstrong spoke about using skis for the conditions you have, not the conditions you want and that was definitely the case. My 108mm width skis were fun on top of the mountain off piste, OK on piste and not what I'd want when hitting ice. 2/14 is supposed to be above freezing so my skis should be fine in springlike conditions, but 2/15 drops below freezing so I think I'll rent some frontside/carving skis for what should be a harder/icier day.

I will post more impressions in a full trip report but the 2 people in our group who rented were extremely unimpressed with the ski selection and service from Rhythm Hirafu. I am glad we brought skis from home even if they're not totally suited for the conditions. I would definitely recommend bringing one's own gear to Japan over renting; Rhythm's service & selection are far below what one would find from renting from our local Vail or Alterra owned ski hills or an independent like Alpine Hut, Evo or Sturtevants.

TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Niseko Hirafu/Village/Annupuri base conditions - 2/14

Conditions below the peak lifts were hardpack down to maybe 2500 feet of elevation and soft/sticky spring snow below that point. The peak zone was windscoured hard pack with plenty of ice balls. We could have been at Crystal Mountain; that’s what the conditions reminded me of.

After 2 runs on my M-Free 108s I hit plenty of ice and really got tired of doing that on such a wide ski.

Skied down to Niseko Sports. They got me a pair of 5 year old Kendo 92s in pretty good shape and wow. I think I know why the Kendo has so many fans. They sound hollow when ice ping pongs off them but they have a ton of energy and pop. Also easy to get up on an edge in icy conditions.

Tomorrow looks like all the soft snow will freeze overnight; so it’ll be another day on the Kendos.

Attachments

• IMG_7365.jpeg
    IMG_7365.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7371.jpeg
    IMG_7371.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7378.jpeg
    IMG_7378.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 5
TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Niseko Hirafu conditions - 2/15

Temperatures dropped below freezing from the base on up in the AM and kept dropping. Icy pistes and icy crust off trail were the rule of the day. New snow was forecast for the afternoon/evening but as of 10 pm local time maybe a quarter inch has fallen.

Over 6 months ago I was wondering if my M-Free 108s would be too narrow for Hokkaido powder. Today I took my Kendo 92s back to the rental shop and got some Kendo 88s for tomorrow.

I’ll speak more about this in a trip report but the Kendos were so damn good in the spring corn we had yesterday on the lower mountain and the wind scoured ice on the upper mountain; and the straight up bulletproof conditions everywhere today. I’ll have to demo some back to back at home in Washington with my Ripstick 96s as I do NOT recall the Ripsticks being this good last time it got really icy at Crystal or Stevens.

Last edited:
TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Chisenupuri cat skiing conditions - 2/16

The Japow machine finally coughed into life and gave the Hirafu base a couple inches of dry snow. Over on the other side of Mount Annupuri; the old Chisenupuri ski resort got 6 inches of fresh overnight on top of the icy hardpack mentioned in previous post and got a couple more inches throughout the day. The trees at Chise skied very well on my 108mm width skis (had Kendos; didn’t end up using them at Chise) and even on the last of 9 cat runs of the day before heading to an adjoining onsen we were finding lots of untracked powder.

As a stronger intermediate skier who doesn’t have a ton of powder experience I would absolutely go back to Chise for more cat skiing. Great outfit and guides.

TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Niseko Hirafu/Village/Annupuri conditions - 2/17

Temperatures remained under freezing and Mount Annupuri got a couple inches overnight. Went to the top of Hirafu, traversed over to the Village base area, skied down and took the very funky Village gondola up that comes out of a hotel that looks like a 1970s Bond villain lair, had lunch at the peak but near the top of the village gondola, did some runs at Annupuri and then went back to Hirafu and called it a day.

Skiing was OK except where the new snow had been wiped off the crust. I took my rental Kendo 88s back to Niseko Sports last night. They would have been perfect today.

That concludes my Japan conditions reports, headed to Sapporo tomorrow and home to Seattle the next day.

I would have never guessed when commencing planning of this trip a year ago that I’d be skiing ice on Volkl Kendos at Niseko. We still got to ski in Japan which was wonderful.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online