• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hello

I'm in search of this ski. I'm a part time instructor in western Massachusetts and also work at a local Vermont mountain, you can usually find in the lift line checking tickets.

I first noticed this ski when every Ski Patroller that came through my line was on these skis. I finally asked them what was up with them all having it and I liked his answer. This ski has been suggested for me as a daily driver for the upcoming season and I'm on a mission to find one.

These skis seem to either be sold out everywhere or any one I can find is more than I'm willing to pay. Even the pro deal available to me is still expensive.

Would love to find a used one of these. If anyone knows anyone who might want to sell theirs, simply knows of one that's for sale or even knows a Head ski rep please PM me.

If you are local to me I'll pay a finders fee in the form of a beer :)

Cheers :rocks:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am assuming all of those Patrollers are bigger skiers and very well carrying packs and gear. While I think this is a good choice, I would sooner suggest the narrow Magnum since you are looking at the 163 length.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I am assuming all of those Patrollers are bigger skiers and very well carrying packs and gear. While I think this is a good choice, I would sooner suggest the narrow Magnum since you are looking at the 163 length.

Bromely has a good mix of patrollers, big and small and they were all on the rally. They said they love the ski because of it's versatility. They said it carves like a champ but also handles a variety of conditions. I'd prefer the 170 size wise but the 163 was suggested to me. I'm happy with my Stockli Laser AX 167cm at 78 underfoot but the Rally was suggested to me by someone on here and we've emailed extensively about it. I'd prefer something between 75-80 underfoot with a wide shovel, I think the Magnum is too narrow. I already have my Redster XTI which is 72 underfoot so the Rally did seem a lot more versatile at 76 underfoot and with a 135mm shovel. I am a fan of the whole supershape series as I demoed the Titan a couple of times and loved it.

Last edited:
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
These will be on their way to me in short order courtesy of @Bobalooski. Ask and you shall receive. :). Thank you Bob. :beercheer:

These will ultimately become my early season rock skis and perhaps teaching skis. However, for this season I will ski these exclusively except for my out west trips and on powder/slush days. Thank you awesome pugski community. Woo Hoo.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
You will like your new skis. I've been on the Rally 170 for 3 years, and they're the most versatile ski I've found. I was in Soelden, Austria, renting skis along with a friend. I'd liked my old original Supershapes (they only had one version then), so I told the clerk I wanted Head Supershapes. He put me on a pair with the red logo. That's all I knew. The first two days were whiteout conditions and these skis were the one thing I didn't have to be concerned about. They just skied everywhere and every way I wanted to ski. (Whiteout tip...follow the boots of someone in front of you going the speed you like. If their boots go up, expect a rise. If their boots go down, expect a drop. If their boots disappear...don't ski there.)

I got home and bought a pair. When new they would suddenly dart one way or the other. They were cupped. The epoxy continued to cure after they left the factory, and they cupped. A tune fixed that. The skis didn't have the tip bite I wanted. The tune was good, I tried everything I could with my technique and positioning to get more tip bite, and nothing worked well. I realized that the bindings were on a track, and I could move them. Moving both the toe and heel the same distance doesn't change the release. I moved them one notch forward, and I liked the result. Two notches, and I really liked the result. Better tip bite and no drawbacks. I didn't try three notches. It's easy to move the bindings. It takes me longer to dig my glasses out of a pocket than it takes to move the bindings. If I don't like the result, I can move them back just as easily. If the bindings don't slide easily on the rail, a squirt of silicone lube on the rail, not in the binding innards, will let them move easy. Get the edge bevels set to the angles you like. I like 3° sides and 1° base, and I like 0.7° base even more.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks. I'm pretty excited about them. I like that they are narrow enough but have a wide shovel. I just have this feeling about them. As much as I love my redster xtis they aren't so great in the soft stuff. They are a hard carving machine and while I love that about them they aren't terribly versatile. I think the Rally's could fit that bill perfectly. As long as they bite into the ice/hard pack like a rabid dog we'll get along just fine. They'll be perfect for an early season rock ski, for teaching and for a ski most of the time. I honestly wasn't very crazy about any Head ski I was on UNTIL I demoed the Titan. I demoed that ski twice and really liked it. It's my understanding the Rally is a narrower titan so I think we'll like each other fine.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Took my new Rally's out yesteday and I really loved them. They held a very respectable edge and were super easy to turn. Michael said I'd picked up a bit of speed this season and looked much more relaxed as I was skiing towards him. These are great skis. Skiing Kenjas this weekend as there should be a ton of snow and my stockli's will go with me to quebec in January but I've absolutely found my rock/teaching/clinic skis. These are great carvers and I'm so happy they were suggested to me. I'll try to demo a pair of the newer ones with the Graphene to compare and then if I like better I'll sell these and pick up a pair of those. I haven't historically been a fan of Head skis as the Joy series never wound my watch. However, the Supershape series is a completely different animal.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Took my new Rally's out yesteday and I really loved them. They held a very respectable edge and were super easy to turn. Michael said I'd picked up a bit of speed this season and looked much more relaxed as I was skiing towards him. These are great skis. Skiing Kenjas this weekend as there should be a ton of snow and my stockli's will go with me to quebec in January but I've absolutely found my rock/teaching/clinic skis. These are great carvers and I'm so happy they were suggested to me. I'll try to demo a pair of the newer ones with the Graphene to compare and then if I like better I'll sell these and pick up a pair of those. I haven't historically been a fan of Head skis as the Joy series never wound my watch. However, the Supershape series is a completely different animal.
I was getting ready to post a thread asking for help for a new "working" ski. I used a pair of these last year that one of the other patrollers had and loved them. I need something that's nimble and that I can transition quickly with if I'm pulling a sled. For the most part when I'm working I rarely get a chance to do a basic fun run and really let loose. From what littler experience I had with these I think they would fit the bill. Right now I'm on the Head iPeak 84's. I

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I was getting ready to post a thread asking for help for a new "working" ski. I used a pair of these last year that one of the other patrollers had and loved them. I need something that's nimble and that I can transition quickly with if I'm pulling a sled. For the most part when I'm working I rarely get a chance to do a basic fun run and really let loose. From what littler experience I had with these I think they would fit the bill. Right now I'm on the Head iPeak 84's. I

I think they'd be great for you. I work the lift lines at one of my mountains and I'm not kidding every patroller, big and small that came through was on a pair of these. I finally asked what is up with these Head Rally's. I was told they are VERY versatile and handle about every kind of condition they encounter from hard pack/ice to powder and anything in between. 76 underfoot and has a big shovel, smaller turning radius and just seems to be a great ski, especially for your needs.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I think they'd be great for you. I work the lift lines at one of my mountains and I'm not kidding every patroller, big and small that came through was on a pair of these. I finally asked what is up with these Head Rally's. I was told they are VERY versatile and handle about every kind of condition they encounter from hard pack/ice to powder and anything in between. 76 underfoot and has a big shovel, smaller turning radius and just seems to be a great ski, especially for your needs.
So does that mean you're going pass them on?:crossfingers: