• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it time to let go of Pro skiers and Ski movies?

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
This is a pretty funny read. We all love the ski movie stoke an watching people do line we would not even consider on even have the capacity to do. Maybe those pro skiers need a break.

http://www.powder.com/stories/the-jaded-local/time-set-pro-skiers-free/

favorite paragraph!

I know what you're saying: "But Jaded, what will happen to climate change activism without pro skiers flying to Svalbard to snowmobile for 300 miles and hashtag about it?" Good question, thanks. Climate change activism should be able to survive without the impassioned testimonials of pro skiers. The real concern is how pro skiers will be able to assuage the existential guilt that any rational and conscientious person would have about a job that's based on burning massive amounts of fossil fuels to do something that nobody needs.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
What I hate about ski movies this time of year is that they get you all psyched with ski stoke and then the movie is over and you got outside and there isn't a snowflake to be found anywhere and you realize you don't get to go skiing for another 8-10 weeks.:( For that reason, I don't watch them, except on the DVD player at ski shop where I work, once the ski season starts.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Gee, maybe we (everybody) should stop all leisure and hobby activities that burn fossil fuels.. Pretty sure we rec skiers have a bigger footprint in one season than all pros have ever..

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
What I hate about ski movies this time of year is that they get you all psyched with ski stoke and then the movie is over and you got outside and there isn't a snowflake to be found anywhere and you realize you don't get to go skiing for another 8-10 weeks.:( For that reason, I don't watch them, except on the DVD player at ski shop where I work, once the ski season starts.

This is a sure sign you are doing it all wrong.

Watch older ski movies in the bar after skiing all day. Now you can get all stoked up, go outside and do something really nuts yourself. Great way to keep the crowds on the hill down a little.

This way you are doing your part and people will speak of you for years to come.

TS
dlague

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Gee, maybe we (everybody) should stop all leisure and hobby activities that burn fossil fuels.. Pretty sure we rec skiers have a bigger footprint in one season than all pros have ever..

WHAT? How dare you even think of such things!

Sponsor

Staff online