• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

iPhone X facial recognition and skiing?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks great in an advertisement though!

I know a surprising number of people who do not use a case. None of them skiers/do anything outdoors really. I can't imaging hiking without a phone case. Or skiing for that matter.

I've rarely need the case for when I'm doing outdoors things. I have dropped my phone a stupid number of times getting in and out of my car.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know a surprising number of people who do not use a case. None of them skiers/do anything outdoors really. I can't imaging hiking without a phone case. Or skiing for that matter.

I'm one of them. I feel like the case ruins the point of having a nice thin phone.

I both ski and hike with my phone, and any other activities, without a case. I've never had a problem in about 6 years of smartphones. I'm on my third Samsung (Enfuse, a Galaxy S4, and a Galaxy S7). The worst thing I've probably done is dropped them on asphalt paths when driving a golf cart (several times) and just had dings and dents - no glass breakage.

I've always figured if I had to get it re-glassed, or even buy a new phone, it's still worth it. But I haven't had to do either of those.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Arguably an iPhone 7 isn't really a necessary or proportionate upgrade for someone who has been happy with a flipphone til now. Apple's genius lies in persuading people that it is.

Well she had been using a flip phone for calls an an iTouch for emailing, etc, though that always required to be connected to wifi.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm one of them. I feel like the case ruins the point of having a nice thin phone.

I both ski and hike with my phone, and any other activities, without a case. I've never had a problem in about 6 years of smartphones. I'm on my third Samsung (Enfuse, a Galaxy S4, and a Galaxy S7). The worst thing I've probably done is dropped them on asphalt paths when driving a golf cart (several times) and just had dings and dents - no glass breakage.

I've always figured if I had to get it re-glassed, or even buy a new phone, it's still worth it. But I haven't had to do either of those.

I have a snap-on case (no cover) that I use only in the winter to have a place to attach a lanyard. I like being able to take pictures without worrying about dropping it off the lift. My original plan was to epoxy a loop on the back.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
A flip phone can be had for $15.
Have you checked the prices lately? My flipper was fritzing out last winter and I went to replace it. I found out that it would now cost me well over $100 for a flip phone when I was used to getting them for nearly nothing. They had discontinued all of the models that I wanted. I work outside and the small size and shell casing were both big reasons I wanted it, but I settled for an iPhone instead.:nono:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does the iPhone x have the capability to have more than one facial recognition? You could do one with no goggles and helmet and one with goggles and helmet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Plus the facial recogntion adjusts every time so it evolves with you.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kinda like Mamie still recognize me after all these years?

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
The funny thing about computers is that none of the companies have ever done lean mean software to take advantage of faster processors... instead they just bloat on more features and BS we don't need. If we get more RAM they just write fatter and sloppier code that uses up the same percentage of memory as before.

I'd like an earlier generation OS (with all the bugs fixed and UI tweaked) running under the latest hardware so its 10x faster. That's what would make my life better.

Give me Adobe Photoshop v.5 from 1997 functionality on a modern processor with a TB of RAM... that sucker would fly!!!

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Just get a Pixel, and you won't have to worry about facial recognition.

The big question I have about the facial recognition is whether or not it will work with eyes closed. Because if it does, it means anybody can unlock your phone while you sleep. Admittedly, I didn't look up a thing about these phones because Apple products interest me about as much as foot fungus, so maybe that question has been answered somewhere else.

Sponsor

Staff online