• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

iPhone X facial recognition and skiing?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Too early for anyone to know for sure, but my first thought when watching the details about the new Face ID recognition in the iPhone 8 X was to wonder if it'd be able to recognize me in a helmet and goggles. My assumption would be no, which would make this rather annoying to use while I'm skiing. Perhaps the helmet would be ok, but you'd have to lift up your goggles and pull down any neck gaiter or bandana, and that'd be good enough for it to work?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/12/apple-face-id-iphone-x/

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was one of our first questions...Do I have to remove my goggles? Will it still have finger recognition?

Corrected title, it is the iPhone X that has it, not the 8.

TS
John O

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Corrected title, it is the iPhone X that has it, not the 8.

Thanks, not sure what I was thinking when I typed that. iPhone 8 and 8 plus still have the home button with touch ID. Given that I'm not going to shell out the $ for the iPhone X personally, this is more a curiosity than something I need to worry about yet. But I assume this is the direction that all future iPhones will eventually move to.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Doubtful it will work without at least removing goggles/neck gaiter. Similar problem now with gloves and fingerprint reader but it's pretty easy to pull off a glove. You will still be able to type in your passcode but that's so last decade! Maybe next gen will sense your heartbeat to unlock

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am wondering why anyone will buy an 8 now, at least not the early adaptors. I am due for a new phone in about 6 months (I have a 7)...I will not get an 8 and by then we might see an Xi or something and I will wait till the X technology trickles down to a moderate price.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
Well the 8 is $300 cheaper....

Now the question becomes do you buy the latest gen phone or do you go with the cheaper last year's model? Apple has been providing this option for a while now and many seem to like it. But will you pay the cheaper $899 cost for the iPhone X when the new Xi is $999? At what point does the discount no longer become worth it?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Now the question becomes do you buy the latest gen phone or do you go with the cheaper last year's model? Apple has been providing this option for a while now and many seem to like it. But will you pay the cheaper $899 cost for the iPhone X when the new Xi is $999? At what point does the discount no longer become worth it?
But how much (significantly) better than a 6 or a 7,could the money is better spent waiting for a X.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

My 77 year old mother just bought the 7 yesterday, though it was replacing a flip phone so it is still an upgrade.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem with iPhone pricing is.... the entry level (low memory capabilities) are useless for everyone EXCEPT grandma who is getting her first non-flip phone and does not take photos or videos.

Anything less than a 128G is useless in our family. So that new XPhone is now stupid expensive. I'll run my 7Plus for a few more years

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Hm. My 6 is fine — only 64gb, but I've only just lately run out of space. It's starting to get a little glitchy, but otherwise it's just fine. I'll keep it until it dies.

My MB pro just croaked though. That I've upgraded — what a nice computer the new version is!

(Granted, I had to buy adapters for almost everything, but still.)

Posaune

sliding
Skier
My 77 year old mother just bought the 7 yesterday, though it was replacing a flip phone so it is still an upgrade.
That's me, though I'm not 77, nor am I a grandmother. I got an iPhone only because they don't offer the almost free flip phones any more and my old flipper was acting its age.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
you do not have to use the facial recognition feature just like you do not need to use the finger recognition feature.

On to the other point, it seems like the phones are getting pricier and since the phone companies have gone to a buy over two years or lease it concept, phone sales have been slipping. I know the company I work for has decided to buy past year models to cut costs. We are holding on to our current models past the two year mark to get as much distance as possible out of them.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This might be me. Or I might get the 8. I haven't decided - but probably the 8. If I do it at all.

Also not 77 or a grandmother . . .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I kinda agree with this from USAToday. Not that it is much different than in the past, this is more about want than need.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Dayum. Apple release events sure are...

...entertaining.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Arguably an iPhone 7 isn't really a necessary or proportionate upgrade for someone who has been happy with a flipphone til now. Apple's genius lies in persuading people that it is.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The other ironic thing is that phones are on an unending quest to get thinner, prettier, glassier etc when the first thing we do is slap on an extra tempered glass screen protector and put it in a burly case.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Arguably an iPhone 7 isn't really a necessary or proportionate upgrade for someone who has been happy with a flipphone til now. Apple's genius lies in persuading people that it is.

QFT. I seem to get along just fine with a Samsung S4; a 2013 design. :eek:

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
The other ironic thing is that phones are on an unending quest to get thinner, prettier, glassier etc when the first thing we do is slap on an extra tempered glass screen protector and put it in a burly case.
Looks great in an advertisement though!

I know a surprising number of people who do not use a case. None of them skiers/do anything outdoors really. I can't imaging hiking without a phone case. Or skiing for that matter.

Sponsor