• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d prefer things to stay the same though. That’s an attitude correlated with getting older! Utah has little to recommend it - bad liquor laws, requirements to have multiple wives (as if one isn’t enough, and sometimes more than enough), odd religious types, etc. I mean, who wants that just because it occasionally snows a bit? And then the Mos went and back tracked, just like the bloody Catholics. Who can you trust these days?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Tremblant has had corporate sponsors for years. Nestle, Van Houtte, are the main 2 for food. Nestle has the hot chocolate and water, while Van Houtte is the coffee. I would expect to see more of those.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is fairly common and not very "strategic" -

VAIL RESORTS AND GMC ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE PARTNERSHIP
Oct. 10, 2017 – Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN), the leading global mountain resort company has partnered exclusively with the premium truck and SUV manufacturer GMC. This multi-year agreement marries GMC’s professional grade identity to Vail Resorts’ mission to provide guests with an experience of a lifetime.
This partnership will provide guests of Vail Resorts’ 13 North American ski resorts with an exceptional GMC brand experience through onsite activations and signature resort events year-round, along with a complimentary vehicle service available at premier Vail Resorts lodging properties.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
No place is immune from these type of deals. Look at this:

fullsizeoutput_ce5.jpeg

Massive projection on a slope descending into the base area of La Thuile. This thing is about 40' x 40' and could be seen from most of the town every night.
And every gondola cabin is painted and looks like a little piece of Ricola !

I have to admit it is very clever way to generate some extra revenue and gain good exposure for your product.

This almost warrants a new thread that would try to match each resort with appropriate product.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just in time for deciding where the next gathering will be ...
Very true. The Mountain Collective Pass announcing the addition the say of last years vote had a LOT to do with the Utah selection this year.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Searching my email I found RMSP has been announced sometime between MId-March and Mid-April over the last 10 years.

Searching VR press releases Epic Pass has been announced between March 7th-14th each year.

I wonder who's gonna shoot first this year?

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
@TonyThe specific challenges that Squaw/Alpine has posed {and possibly the eventual upside} doesn't seem to be present at any of the other Alterra properties. The overall plan would seem to be different. Not a 30 year massive development and transformation plan. I know that the KSL group and Andy Wirth have had their vision on how to make it best in class as a destination resort, and that they've trimmed it back and that it will no doubt be refined. Has to be in the face of opposition. The rest of the Alterra properties don't seem to be in the same mold, and there's no suggestion of similar plans. There are some Alterra resorts that are likely to be moved, and others to be acquired. It will be fluid.

Great post.

I hear a lot of similarities to where Winter Park is in how you're describing Squaw/Alpine.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The full press release landed in my inbox. I almost started a new thread about it, but it can go here.
IKON PASS JOINS FORCES WITH PROTECT OUR WINTERS WITH $50K DONATION TO CREATE THE IKON PASS FUND

On Board as Summit Partner

Free One-Year Membership with Each Ikon Pass Purchase

DENVER, CO, February 15, 2018 - The Ikon Pass, a new ski and snowboard pass product from Alterra Mountain Company, has partnered with Protect Our Winters (POW) to further climate change education and advocacy through a three-level $50k partnership: the creation of the Ikon Pass Fund, a Summit Level donation, and a complimentary one-year Protect Our Winters membership to each Ikon Pass holder for the 2018-2019 winter season.

With a first-of-its-kind advocacy endowment for Protect Our Winters, $25k will be given to Protect Our Winters to establish the Ikon Pass Fund, to be used toward thoughtful, collaborative initiatives based in education and action throughout the year. Its purpose is to support industry-led climate initiatives towards POW’s three priorities of setting an economy-wide price on carbon, transitioning to a clean-energy economy by investing in solar energy, and utilizing innovative transit solutions to minimize greenhouse gas emissions.

Click HERE for thoughts from POW founder and professional snowboarder, Jeremy Jones.

“The Ikon Pass Fund is a proactive response that helps connect snow sports enthusiasts to their passion in the midst of a changing climate,” said Mario Molina, Executive Director of Protect Our Winters. “With this unique partnership, the Ikon Pass is stepping off the sidelines to not only help support POW’s initiatives as a Summit Level sponsor, they will also be helping to draft unique opportunities to further POW’s leadership position on climate within the snow sports community.”

The Ikon Pass joins notable brands such as Burton and Patagonia as a Summit Level Partner, through a $25k donation. As a Summit Level Partner, the Ikon Pass is funding POW’s efforts to mobilize a highly passionate and connected outdoor community in a movement to fight climate change. POW’s goal is to use the robust and influential outdoor economy to create the will for meaningful climate solutions at the state and federal level.

“It’s a natural partnership between the Ikon Pass and Protect Our Winters, and we are proud to collaborate on tackling climate change together, an issue that has a profound impact on our industry and community,” said Erik Forsell, Chief Marketing Officer for Alterra Mountain Company. “The Ikon Pass Fund offers the flexibility to be creative and spontaneous with various opportunities and activation throughout the year to further highlight POW’s message and initiatives.”

In addition, all Ikon Pass holders will receive a complimentary one-year $50-valued membership in their name to POW upon purchase. Pass holders will receive POW die cut stickers, 20% off POW store merchandise, a monthly POW newsletter, and a subscription to the biweekly email newsletter, “The Line”.

“The time to make crucial and immediate climate action is here and the outdoor community has a unique opportunity to lead,” said Jeremy Jones, professional snowboarder and founder of Protect Our Winters. “We are encouraged by our new partnership with the Ikon Pass and hope it inspires others to become engaged in an issue that has direct impacts on the mountains we all love.”

The Ikon Pass will go on sale in the spring and additional information including access specifics by destination, price, sale date and other pass product details will be announced in the coming weeks. Please visit www.ikonpass.com.

Click HERE for thoughts from POW founder and professional snowboarder, Jeremy Jones.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm liking Alterra more and more as they release these partnership deals, especially this one with Protect Our Winters. Crossing my fingers that there will be an Ikon Pass option that works for me for the next few years of limited time.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I may sound like a broken drum. It's been a year, and when I say that the Alterra group is both smart, and brings a lot of ski experience and tremendous commitment to the sport, I swear that many people blow it off. The dopes in the "ski press" have even recently wanted to try to make this seem like Alterra and Vail Resorts are basically direct competitors and playing the same game. They are not.

Yes, if you live on the Front Range in CO, you are likely going to be looking at this in terms of what pass options will best fit you and your family's needs. Depending on where many of us live, that may well be a factor. But for the majority of he skiing public, Alterra is not going to be measuring success by pass sales. Will it be a "metric?" Sure.

It's going to have a different feel, and there IS going to be movement among properties that they acquire, sell and partner with.

Anybody who assumes they are the devil, driven by clueless PE opportunistic investors who will gut and pillage every property, ruining the ski experience, then flipping out in 3-5 years with truckloads of cash......no. They may well make the trunkloads of cash {I hope so}, but the experience is going to be better and they are going to do some very good things in the process.

The Cliff deal is an example. I can guarantee that it's based on it being Cliff, not making the best snack bar deal. The POW deal is smart. I like it. POW has a lot of "iconic" on snow people deeply committed to their mission.

Look forward to the pass details so that we can move on from that. Some will love it. Some will hate it. Some will be neutral. My strong hunch.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I remember the Epic pass deals coming out as we were in WB last year. Because I'd never really paid attention to it before, but WB was now going to be on the pass. Tremblant usually announces their stuff just before season close, so any time before that will be a bonus.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Think they'll wait till after the Olympics to announce pass details?
Or they could go big and buy a TV spot to announce DURING the Olympics.
Oooo... that would be exciting!

Sponsor