• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Vail pass was $639. There are cheaper options, but I paid $90 extra to get 10 days at Whistler. There are options for under $500 so it's not likely the average is over $800. Times 750,00 it's a lot of money.

One of the problems both KSL and Vail resorts in Tahoe are facing is having enough staff available to open and operate lifts. I'm not concerned that they are running out of money.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but the average price is likely well over $600 given the popularity of the $800+ pass. Again, a "typical" family of four would be spending a significant amount of their income on season passes alone, let alone all the other costs of skiing. If people did not "like" Vail Resorts, then Vail would not be selling 750,000 passes a year and growing pass sales at double-digit rates.

I think they will find staff - they may have to do something to further "entice" people - increase pay/salaries/benefits - but I am sure they will find people.

And if they don't, well that only highlights how challenging the ski business is and how much risk ski operators need to deal with.

There is not much anyone can do then other than make due with what is available, meaning potentially longer lines leading to fewer skiers leading to lower profits for the operator.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Economically feasible and maximizing return to investors are different things. It could be economically feasible, but not the best way to maximize returns. Corporations have different level of obligations to shareholders (and different ways of justifying operating expenses).

The idea that not spinning lifts that could be operated isn't a big deal seems ridiculous to me. It's a big deal to skiers. Especially at a resort like Squaw with legendary lift lines. People eventually will give up on the hassle of skiing. I prefer companies that think about long term retention in designing their products and running their operations. Not those looking to maximize the current seasons dollars.

If they know a thing or two about running a ski resort,and I am going to go out on a limb and say that they know a bit more than you do, then I am sure that they are aware of the impact that their actions can have on their business. I don't think they need you or I to tell them that having long lift lines is not a good long-term strategy.

It also seems ridiculous to think that they would make decisions on opening or closing a lift without any regard to the impact it would have on the economics and resources of business.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If they know a thing or two about running a ski resort,and I am going to go out on a limb and say that they know a bit more than you do, then I am sure that they are aware of the impact that their actions can have on their business. I don't think they need you or I to tell them that having long lift lines is not a good long-term strategy.

The idea that consumers shouldn't criticize a business decision that negatively effects them as a way of giving feedback (which is basically what is happen in this situation) is a bit silly.

I'm aware that these people know more about operating a ski area than me. Or at least, they know how to operate a ski area to meet their particular goals. That doesn't mean simply having more experience makes all your decisions beyond reproach in a forum designed to talk about skiing by those who care greatly about the sport.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Tony,

No question the three letters "KSL" draw every single possible opinion and emotion in North Lake Tahoe. I'm not sure if going very deep with that discussion helps with what Alterra's plans are, but since so many have had that specific experience with a couple of "KSL owned/funded" properties, it's crazy to ignore it.

I'm not a local to Tahoe, or to CA. I first visited Squaw, though in 1960, as a six year old to watch the Olympics. I've been back "a lot." I have one adult child who lives in the Tahoe basin and works in the business. I have two nieces who life in SF, and spend most every weekend in Truckee. So not a local, but not totally clueless. I've been skiing since I was two, and many of my family have been on the business. One thing that's sort of undeniable is that "the business" is very different in almost every respect that it once was. And, we all have a tendency to wish at times that things would remain frozen in time as they are, or even better, reverted to how they once were. So, there are always folks who want minimal change, because an area, a resort, a geographic area have worked well for them. However, to survive and thrive, many of these places need to evolve and grow. And it can be painful.

I like think that Andy Wirth, the CEO of Squaw/Alpine, "runs" Squaw Valley. I'm not close enough to remark on which lifts spin, or sit idle, how the hours have changed, etc. I do know that in the Alex Cushing years, a lot of lifts went up, a lot of great terrain was opened and not a ton of long range thought otherwise happened. So you have this incredible physical gem {along with Alpine}, and at some point, the realization is that it has the potential to be a true world class destination resort, but it's not. It needs more hotels. It needs beds. The traffic stinks. Parking is horrendous. It is prime for a tasteful village re-deevlopment, but that in itself is a lightning rod: What's "tasteful? Then you add in the somewhat unpredictable snow. Last year was insane, almost too much snow to predictable run a ski area. Years prior? This year? Kind of low tide. If folks can't see the reason for the "amusement/water theme park", that's unfortunate. I can understand the "not at my Squaw" opinion, for all of the reasons. But the business case is strong. And if this enlaces don't thrive as business they will not continue to exist. Not long term.

I imagine that part of Squaw's "problem" is that it's a tremendous place, located near the hottest economy in the country. No lack of people in the Bay Area who can and want to recreate. "KSL" and Andy Wirth did not bring the crowds, create the traffic etc. I've suggested coming to visit our son in the summer, and he laughs....."No....it's just insane, ridiculously crowded."

Now, back to KSL. I see all of the volleys about who owns what. No doubt KSL bought the properties, they have been hands on with all of the development piece, and they brought in Andy Wirth to be the CEO and run the operation. Now it's being rolled into Alterra. I have no clue what the exact ownership looks like for Squaw, it's now owned by this company which is owned by KSL's limited and general partners in the fund that backs it, and by the Crown family and their "family office", HCC. They aren't going away as far as Squaw is concerned, IMO. But there's a good chance they they will not be there where the development is finally complete, at Squaw/Alpine in what, 25 more years?

The specific challenges that Squaw/Alpine has posed {and possibly the eventual upside} doesn't seem to be present at any of the other Alterra properties. The overall plan would seem to be different. Not a 30 year massive development and transformation plan. I know that the KSL group and Andy Wirth have had their vision on how to make it best in class as a destination resort, and that they've trimmed it back and that it will no doubt be refined. Has to be in the face of opposition. The rest of the Alterra properties don't seem to be in the same mold, and there's no suggestion of similar plans. There are some Alterra resorts that are likely to be moved, and others to be acquired. It will be fluid.

Things could be worse. In other parts of the country, New England for one, there are a mulitudeod long time regional icons that desperately need a huge amount of money invested in them. And, they present very difficult business cases. The former CNL portfolio was acquired, in total by Oct-Ziff, the hedge fund. My home mountain is one. I find it astounding that the most loyal skiers still refer to "the Mountain Company", as if that former entity runs the place. They ignore that Boyne has leased it and operated it for 12 years, and that the hard assets have been owned by a REIT and now a hedge fund. Believe me, the hedge fund is highly opportunistic, and has no long term vision or horizon. So, when you hear people complaining about "too much" going into Squaw, etc., the flip side is somewhere between almost none and not enough. The lifts spin, but why don't they are more snow? These five lifts are ancient, why do they just paint them and not replace them.....

I know that every "local" hates to see much change. I grew up with family ski homes in Stowe, and "in CO". Lets say that both have changed, quite a bit. But the actual skiing product has improved over time. There has been endless bitching over the years.

Wherever you read or draw "local" information, you can hear the jungle telegraph. "KSL has ruined Squaw, and they are going to ruin US, too." Based on what they are laying out for a plan, and the resorts that many somewhat close to this think they will ultimately acquire or partner with {as well as those that they will shed}, there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon that would be as big, confusing, emotional or problematic as what's been going on and dragging on a Squaw/Alpine. Just
don't see it.

Pulling together a group of best in class high end destination resorts involves a lot of work. Some may need an injection of capital for some immediate infrastructural needs. Some may have the demand and need for a bit more development. Maybe an new hotel or two. Maybe some on mountain amenities. But smaller, less sweeping and clearly less controversial things IMO.

In my experience over a few decades, "the passionate local" can be a great advocate or in hindsight a dreadful roadblock. This business has so many challenges. If those who love Squaw and consider themselves to be locals want to be able to ski there in 10 years, with decent services {on mountain ski related}, they may need to "give" a bit to let the money form the well heeled "Joey's" come in.

We have a lot of really hard-ass skiers, thought the country, who pull into the parking lot, boot up, ski a great day, and then pull and sandwich and PBR out of the cooler. Great skiers, local fabric, many characters. Some ski 100+ days a season, on a pass that they bought. Some may buy a beer at the base. But for the most part the only money they spend is on a season pass. The industry would close tomorrow if forced to deal with just that customer, as great as they are in so many ways.

I find that in some mountain/resort towns there is a pretty good balance of thinking among the local crowd. Those with a touch of gray hair tend to get it. They others bitch about cost.....like housing cost. Is KSL driving up Tahoe housing prices? Doubt it. Bringing in families and couples who will vacation for a week or more a year, and spend a lot of money is pretty much essential for a good sized ski resort. And operating the little ones is just hard......

My suggestion is to give this a chance. The group of mountains being pulled together, for a serious ski couple, just blows MTN away, and that alone is very attractive to hundreds of thousands of skiers. It's good for business, I think.

The issues of which lifts spin when, what's groomed and what isn't, where they might ned to make snow, etc. will have NOTHING to do with KSL. At Squaw, that is Andy Wirth and his team. Nowthey obviously have targets to hit, and profit to generate, but nobody is that far in the weeds.

Or so I hear form a few people who are pretty involved. Alterra has a really good team coming together. They know the business. Eric Resnick, personally, knows more about the ski business than anybody in the PE business. He loves it, and he's not in it to wreck it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not running lifts and season opening late and closing early may not be major issues for investors, but it is for the paying customers.

And there is a lot of room between like and hate, which is an ugly and strong word.
I don't get this.
Squaw stayed open through the week after 4th of July last season. They try hard to be open before any other resorts in the area, an area where they succeed when mother nature plays nice.
Since KSL has owned Squaw they've dealt with 2 big seasons, when wind holds and big snow have had an impact, (ask patrollers if you don't believe me) and (going on) 6 seasons of drought. Feast or famine, eh?
To say that the paying customers aren't getting what they pay for is inaccurate. I'm a paying customer who has also run a business and I respect the pitfalls that come with day to day operations in the extremes of feast or famine.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
@Tricia if you go back a couple of posts, I was talking about KSL opening Alpine later than Squaw and not running Alpine late into Spring even though Alpine does not require transport lifts and often has better early season and Spring conditions.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting article from The Aspen Times, a little Q&A with Alterra's President:

I liked the bluntness of this answer:
From The Aspen Times said:
Q: Why is Ikon spelled with a K?

Perry: “If we spelled it with a C, we couldn’t trademark it because it’s a word in the English language.”

Then this one intrigued me...

Q: Vail recently announced Telluride will be added to their Epic Pass. Will any additional destinations be added to the Ikon Pass?

Perry: “The story of partnerships may not be done, so stay tuned.”

Q: What about ski resorts beyond North America being added to the Ikon Pass?

Perry: “Once again, I would say stay tuned on that, but we are interested in having partnerships. There are a number of international destinations that very much want to join the Ikon Pass. We’ve heard from a number of them already, but I’ll tell you our primary focus is definitely North America.”

Another article popped up about Alterra naming their new CEO. With his background, it makes me hopeful that this will be more than just a businessman CEO out to get as much cash as possible, but really grounded with the roots of a skier. He started from the bottom, and truly worked his way up, in what I believe to be a very difficult industry.

He started as a lift operator at Mammoth Mountain in California.
In addition to time spent in that role, Gregory worked as an equipment operator, lift maintenance and construction supervisor, ski instructor, heli-ski guide, director of human resources and chief administrative officer.

Gregory founded and operated Mammoth Heli-Ski in the 1980s, Mammoth Land and Development Company in the 1990s, and became an owner of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area in 1996. He engineered three sales of the company, increasing his ownership stake with each transaction.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia if you go back a couple of posts, I was talking about KSL opening Alpine later than Squaw and not running Alpine late into Spring even though Alpine does not require transport lifts and often has better early season and Spring conditions.
I absolutely agree that Alpine Meadows for early/late season has its advantages and it definitely is disheartening to those who are long time AM skiers who've missed those early/late dates.

On the other hand, the activities in the village at Squaw and the ability to broadcast a broader net of patrons makes more sense from a business standpoint and certainly has its benefits. They weren't lacking for skiers and other vacationers last summer leading up to their closing date.

@4ster is an example of someone who was driven to buy a Squaw pass this past season when VR shut down Kirkwood early, long before the snow was melting off.

I'd say Squaw and its owners are doing a better job of staying open late than Kirkwood and its owner. ;)

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The idea that consumers shouldn't criticize a business decision that negatively effects them as a way of giving feedback (which is basically what is happen in this situation) is a bit silly.

I'm aware that these people know more about operating a ski area than me. Or at least, they know how to operate a ski area to meet their particular goals. That doesn't mean simply having more experience makes all your decisions beyond reproach in a forum designed to talk about skiing by those who care greatly about the sport.

It's more than a bit silly, it's very silly, which is why I don't believe anyone said that you can't voice your opinion or stated that resort operators are correct in every decision they make.

I think "their particular goals" are simple - to keep people safe and to make money by offering an experience. Just like your particular goals may be to ski as much as possible for as little money as possible.

The first ones to care about the sport are the people who make a living and support their families working in the industry. My experience is that most of these people not only make a living (unfortunately often not a great one - economically) from the sport but they also care very deeply about the sport. To think otherwise would be silly, very silly.

Last edited:

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I am excited to see what options will be on the Ikon pass. As a NH local I have had several "home" mountains throughout the years, with the choice of that "home" based on balancing best value & convenience for our family at that given time. I did purchase a MCP for my daughter this year to use during our Utah trip & really wished that it included multiple locations in New England (for this exact reason I didnt purchase for myself & my husband- didnt justify the cost for what we would use). I think offering a product that can appeal to multiple demographics (from prospective spending - geographical location) and accounts for changes in the targeted customer is very wise in the long run. I am a first generation skier, learned to ski in a school rec program & am grateful that I can share my love for snow with my daughter. Im a nurse... totally not a destination skier or the biggest spender on the mountain but in 15-20 years there is high potenial for my daughter to be that targeted customer.

On a lighter note, I think Ikon should also partner with Waffle Cabin- now that would be a perk hard to pass up:)

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I loved this post from Monarch on Facebook today, it is good to see them addressing the industry conglomeration in a positive way. :

You may have heard us say ‘Ski Independent’ this season. But what does it actually mean?

‘Ski Independent’ is a call to action. Monarch Mountain is “The Real ski experience”! We are not run by a corporation who is monopolizing the industry. We are independently owned and operated. We have the freedom to be ourselves and the ability to focus on bringing the best experience possible to our guests. This is what people remember about us and why people love us. Without saying ‘stick it to the man’ (because they might be sitting right next to you) that is essentially what we are doing. ‘Ski Independent’ doesn’t just mean ‘Ski Monarch’ (we have comrades in this fight too) it begs the consumer to think about where and how they are spending their money in the ski industry. Having many independent ski areas (rather than just a few huge conglomerates) is the best way to insure creative innovation, to raise guest experience and keep skiing Here at Monarch, we believe in sharing the joy of skiing and riding over profit margins. A family can come here to ski, stay and eat for four days, for what it would cost for one day at a corporate resort. That’s the pricing advantage we will always have over those guys.

It’s your choice to “Ski Independent” or continue helping these corporations dominate the ski industry.

So this and every season, join us! Ski Monarch. Ski for fun. Ski Independent!

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
This letter was sent by Win Smith, the owner of Sugarbush, back in February of 2017:

Dear,
As you have undoubtedly heard, Vail has announced the purchase of the Stowe Mountain Ski operation, while leaving ownership of the Stowe Mountain Lodge, Stowe Mountain Club, Golf Club and real estate development assets with AIG. We have long anticipated that Vail would come East and considered Stowe one of the most likely targets.
We have long respected Stowe as a very well-capitalized and well-run resort, and we have admired the success of Vail under its recent ownership. Vail will clearly bring a number of changes to Stowe, not least of which is their EPIC pass. This pass has changed the landscape in the West and certainly will create some challenges, but also some opportunities, here in the East.
The fact that Vail chose Stowe as its first Eastern acquisition is a great testimony to the skiing and riding here in Northern Vermont, and recognizes that their terrain is commensurate with mountains like Vail and Park City out West. Whether Stowe or the Mad River Valley has better terrain depends on who you talk to - I know where my vote is cast. Personally, I like to think that our terrain is the Eastern equivalent of mountains like Alta, Jackson Hole, Aspen Highlands, Telluride and Squaw, where I have skied in recent years.
Thanks to your support these past fifteen years, I believe that we are extremely well-positioned for the future. Good competition is always welcomed, and Vail will bring that to Vermont. The one thing that they cannot bring to Stowe, however, is the special nature of the Mad River Valley - the nearly 4,000 acres of terrific skiing we have at Sugarbush, and the unique environment of our neighbor, Mad River Glen.
The three roads into the resort (German Flats Rd., Sugarbush Access Rd., and West Hill Rd.) make getting here on a holiday fairly easy. Our new parking lot at Lincoln Peak with shuttle service on weekends and holidays handles the crowds well. And our new Valley House lift has really improved the wait time out of the base area. (Of course, there are hardly ever long lines at Mount Ellen.) With our 16 lifts able to handle 21,000 people per hour and our nearly 4,000 acres of skiable terrain, people are moved all over the mountain when we are 100% open. If the EPIC pass brings more skiers and riders to Stowe, as it likely will, I think everyone will appreciate even more the environment we have here at Sugarbush.
Last week, I wrote to you regarding Gadd Brook Slopeside, and I believe that they, too, will become even more attractive as one compares their value and convenience to other areas. If you or someone you know is in the process of looking for a home at Sugarbush, please let us know. We have just furnished our model unit, and are offering Open Houses every day during Presidents' Week from 1:00 - 4:00 PM. We can also schedule a tour at your convenience by appointment. For more information, please contact the team at Sugarbush Resort Real Estate at 800-806-1070 or [email protected], or stop by the office in The Farmhouse. Heidi and Kyle are available to answer any questions you might have about the new residences. You can also take a look at our Gadd Brook website for more information.
Finally, let me speak about our forecasted conditions. While this has been a year where the hornets have been spot-on, it is also the year of the roller coaster. After receiving over five feet of snow in February and unbelievably good conditions, Mother Nature is acting up again, and we are in for a few days of very warm temperatures and some rain showers. The snow will be nice and soft. We will likely lose some natural terrain, but our snowmaking trails have excellent depth and should hold up well. Winter looks to be returning Saturday night with some very firm skiing on Sunday, and we are likely to see some snow and then perhaps a lot more as we get into March. Going out on a limb, I am betting that we are still in for great spring skiing right through April, and we will continue to enjoy some terrific adventure and camaraderie here at Sugarbush.
Best Regards,
Win Smith

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Thanks, @SShore and @LKLA for those posts ^^^^^. I liked them in appreciation of your sharing them. Not because I'm agreeing or endorsing either. I'm not sure how the formation of Alterra, and the launch of the Ikon Pass {with the partner resorts} really affects Monarch. Monarch is a special place, fairly remote, and sure isn't going to play as an "Iconic Destination Resort." I would assume that if they continue along their path, they can do well. It's a great ski experience. Would be very hard to beat if you were close enough to ski it regularly.

I triggers a question with me in terms of just what "Independent" will mean as we move forward. It propabaly doesn't mean, to most people "Independently or Privately Owned." Monarch surely doesn't see it that way. Many of the partners on the Ikon pass are just that: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, for one. AspenSkiCo actually is as well. I think that in Monarch's world Independent means not banding together with anybody else to co-market, do any joint pass deals etc. Which is fine.

My sense is that many "smaller', though not small independent ski areas are probably evaluating what Alterra, Ikon, VR/MTN mean to them, and how they can actually capitalize on their existence. The "we're not like them" may be a string draw as this market segments. My sense is that it will be easier to see what Alterra "is", that what Vail Resorts is down the road. VR is "big", Epic, and a variety of ski experiences. I can see the pitch that "we're not some luxury, high-end, expensive destination resort", but it gets more confusing with Vail's mix of properties {I'm assuming Alterra adding more and selling some, BTW.}

So, Monarch, I can a plan, and success. Real success.

And there are so many really great "smaller" areas that serve specific geographies which I don't think care about this. I was just thinking about Bridger bowl, Bogus Basin, Schweitzer, some of the PNW, much of the Tahoe Basin. Not sure if this affects them. Which is a plus. There are examples all over the country.

Win Smith and Sugarbush are facing different challenges. Sugarbush is a great place. The Valley is one of the most beautiful spots in Vermont. Sugarbush has a lot to offer ski wise. The proximity to MRG doesn't hurt. Every season people want to cross MRG off the bucket list. I think that a year ago, Win was saying "we don't know, but we like our product." I believe it's still early to know. This has been a very odd snow winter in New England. I'm hearing that it's not a good one, business wise for those that try to attract the family who might come of Christmas, MLK weekend, February school vacation and perhaps a couple of other weekends.....or some combination of those things.

Sugarbush cut seasons pass pricing in response to the VR/Epic/Stowe announcement. Now, those who own a second home or condo at Sugarbush are not going to leave because of a pass price. Nor are long term committed season long renters with kids in junior programs, etc. The arms race is on for the day trippers who have a lot of options in VT.

It's interesting that Win describes his impression of Sugarbush's terrain is much like mountains that are either part of VR, or Alterra. Actually four with Alterra, plus Telluride. Of course there was no Alterra when he penned that, though he had to know that Intrawest was close to making a deal. It was hardly a secret. So now, Sugarbush is looking very independent. Stratton and Killington are part of Ikon. Stowe is with MTN. Okemo, I put in the "stay tuned" category among with every former CNL property.

I do not know the exact numbers in terms of Sugarbush passholders. For example what percentage own/rent right there, or life so close that heading in another direction makes little sense, or would not be driven by being part of a better pass deal. Sugarbush joined Mountain Collective this season. What happens to MCP? In terms of who will be in, and for how long. How will it be structured? And if you're primarily skiing in VT, how much value is there in a smaller number of Western and Canadian resorts? For many, my hunch is "not much."

I've head some express that It would be smart for a number of Northern VT areas to band together on a common pass. Sugarbush, Smugglers, Jay, Burke. Who knows? Perhaps they should weave in some areas that are day areas near big populations, like Wachusett? Is there a chance that Alterra might have interest in Sugarbush? My hunch is probably no, or I bet they'd be part of Ikon. But who knows? There may be more at play right now. There is always rumor of Smith possibly peeling off Mt.Ellen and effectively selling it to GMVS. Don't think details, think a non profit or a group of stakeholders associated with the school. Not impossible.

I don't know if Sugarbush can effectively ride the "We're independent, stick it to the man" train. Doesn't seem to fit with many the customers. Many are "the man."

As I reread that letter of Win's , it's ironic. Yes, I ski at these places out West and we're a lot like them. Got it. Now, "One of these is not like the others.......and it's us." Are they on the outside looking in? Or are they working on something?

The Northeast has a lot of skiers. And, IMO a lot of opportunity to get smart with some this. Is it destination, in terms of drawing people form West to East? No. That doesn't happen as much as it might. I am very interested see what Alterra/Ikon might do outside of North America. All in time.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
No. That doesn't happen as much as it might. I am very interested see what Alterra/Ikon might do outside of North America. All in time.

South America, Australia, NZ even Japan pretty easy to do something I imagine. Europe pretty difficult. Lots of resorts fairly closely controlled by a few multigenerational families (who understand the gentrification game pretty well e.g. you should see what Warth have done to their hotels) and some lift opco behemoths. Guess they could finally put La Grave out of its perennial economic uncertainty as that is truly iconic but that's a hard village in a dark cold valley to take upscale, not forgetting it might be a bit too much welcome to the big leagues.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Note that fiercely independent Monarch has done very well negotiating reciprocal ski days for their pass holders:

Colorado locations:
Copper Mountain 3 Free Days
Loveland 3 Free Days
Ski Cooper 3 Free Days
Purgatory 3 Free Days
Hesperus 3 Free Days
Crested Butte 2 Free Days*
Silverton 1 Unguided Day*
Powderhorn Unlimited ½ Price Days
Sunlight 5 Half-Price Days
*certain restrictions apply. Check below for details

Out of state locations
Snowbowl (AZ) 3 Free Days
Sipapu (NM) 3 Free Days
Pajarito (NM) 3 Free Days
Red River (NM) 3 Free Days
Ski Apache (NM) 3 Free Days
Angel Fire (NM) 3 Free Days
Grand Targhee (WY) Free Skiing With Lodging*
Snow King (WY) 3 Free Days
Masella (Spain) 3 Free Days
5-Berge Ski Areas (Germany) 3 Free Days
Source: http://www.skimonarch.com/season-passes/

It will be interesting to see how that list shakes out for next season given their Facebook post quoted above.

Muleski

Inactive
Note that fiercely independent Monarch has done very well negotiating reciprocal ski days for their pass holders:

It will be interesting to see how that list shakes out for next season given their Facebook post quoted above.

Well, that's interesting. Had no idea. Doesn't quite fit the headline, to me......

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier

Colorado locations:
Copper Mountain 3 Free Days
Loveland 3 Free Days
Ski Cooper 3 Free Days
Purgatory 3 Free Days
Hesperus 3 Free Days
Crested Butte 2 Free Days*
Silverton 1 Unguided Day*
Powderhorn Unlimited ½ Price Days
Sunlight 5 Half-Price Days

Out of state locations
Snowbowl (AZ) 3 Free Days
Sipapu (NM) 3 Free Days
Pajarito (NM) 3 Free Days
Red River (NM) 3 Free Days
Ski Apache (NM) 3 Free Days
Angel Fire (NM) 3 Free Days
Grand Targhee (WY) Free Skiing With Lodging*
Snow King (WY) 3 Free Days
Masella (Spain) 3 Free Days
5-Berge Ski Areas (Germany) 3 Free Days
Source: http://www.skimonarch.com/season-passes/

I don't see a conflict with their reciprocal agreements and their fiercely independent statement. All of the mountains with reciprocal agreements would be considered "Independent" mountains and as they said in their statement "Ski Independent’ doesn’t just mean ‘Ski Monarch’ (we have comrades in this fight too)". These are their comrades. And many of these reciprocal agreements have been in place since before the Vail started their buying spree.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A number of Monarch's partners are a mini-conglomerate in the four corners that bought up Purgatory, Arizona Snowbowl, Sipapu. Hesperus, and Pajarito.
https://www.denverpost.com/2014/10/...-durango-businessman-links-four-sw-ski-areas/

They are marketing the Power Pass that includes three days at Monarch this season:
https://www.thepowerpass.com/

Power_Pass_-_Storm_The_Slopes.jpg

Is it possible Monarch is being frozen out for partners between the Ikon and Power Pass resorts? Or, is Monarch in the stronger negotiating position and angling for the best deal? Loveland even more so? Where does this leave Crested Butte?

The negotiations must be frantic. Just speculation, but I view the Monarch post as an indication of their willingness to walk away from any deals they don't like.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So...here we are. I lived in the investment world long enough to sometimes recognize surplus and to a skier, UT represented surplus. Relatively uncrowded, great snow, great mtns., great stuff. I pursue that kind of surplus when I can in as many avenues as I can. Not everyone gets that untracked run in the right place at the right time in life but if you find it don't hesitate. Before long it'll be tracked.

Yes I'm a local who's enjoyed the surplus in UT. I'm also business exposed and realize where the money tries to go and when it goes there it creates change and if well placed siphons off the surplus. VR approx. quadrupled the value of their assets with a well conceived pass product. Those that have money weren't oblivious to that and so, again, here we are. KSL is neither evil nor to be applauded. They have partners as almost everyone does and have a responsibility to maximize ROI. Math tells us where things will go. They're hoping for a multiplication of value in a short time. What investment professional wouldn't pursue that? Ski resorts are privately owned assets that are free to be bought and sold. The impact to UT in terms of increased skier visits is foreseeable.

Will things in UT be bad? Apply your own perspective to answer that. I don't think so. But different and busier. I place no blame...it's the world in which we live. When I lived in California the breaks went from accessible to overrun with the introduction of the Costco surfboard. We can't expect things to stay the same. It doesn't mean anyone deserves blame. Our choice is how we adapt. I left SoCal and now I'll leave PC in pursuit of a skiing niche that better suits my life, however long that might last.

Sponsor