• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'll bite. I ski a lot at a ski area that can be brutally cold. <<<<<.

I have a few USST jackets, and other team jackets that are basically coaches jackets. They tend to be better built, better quality "everything", and the heavy ones are warm. I have Spyder, and Phenix, Descente. The downside is that you do look like a wannabe, and/or a billboard. On a brutally cold day, I could care less, to be honest. Nobody will think that I'm posing as Ligety. Maybe his dad.

I spend most days, and every day out West with a whole bunch of layering options, and actually have the same shell in two sizes to accommodate what is under it. Have been comfy at -30F. BTW, the shells are Arcteryx which I bought at deep discount.

However, three seasons ago, I was looking for a super warm coat that was just a touch longer {like covered my hips} and had a really well insulated big hood. Great pockets, and preferably good down.

I bought am Eddie Bauer. I can't recall the exact model. It's up North. It is black with a lime green liner and accents. It's basically a mountaineering coat. The exterior fabric is really great....not like a puffy down that you think can be cut or ouched through easily.
It's really great. I was clued into it by a friend who's patrol staff was outfitted in the same jackets.

I think that the MSRP was maybe $300. I paid more like $180? A lot of coat for the money.

Maybe Eddie Bauer has the same coat, or something similar in the lineup.

Sorry for the lack of details, or pics.

Descente also makes a few very nice, very warm high end jackets and if you search around, they can be found as leftovers at good prices. My last one had a MRSP that was insane.....Maybe $7-800, and I paid about $250. Really nice. It's the same jacket that many teams use. Mine is black, with a few gray/silver accents. Top of the hips, and not a hood that works over a helmet standing around for me. Otherwise great detailing and materials.
I have use several Eddie Bauer products for skiing and they work VERY well. They have an outlet store not far from my home and if you join their "Members" program they send you a $10.00 off coupon a few times during the year. I like EB because I can buy the Tall sizes and the sleeve length is great for the cold weather and the body length stays tucked in your ski pants. The "Weather Edge" is the water proof line and I picked a new jacket last season or two seasons ago, it is dry and warm. I have another that is maybe 15/16 years old and it has started to let in water but no complaints.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear a Patagonia nano air jacket under an Arc teryx saber shell. If it is warm I wear the vest. Picked up a REI down sweater for sub 0 days.

Reactions: Ron

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Hi Matt,
Just some random thoughts about really cold weather gear. Personally, I would not buy an insulated jacket just for really cold days, it is a specialty item and I much prefer spending on more versatile gear. Several years ago, I bought an Arc insulated jacket from @Ron. it's plain black, and, does not shout "ski Jacket". I wear it as my everyday winter jacket, and, will use it on occasion for local cold days. It is too warm for me on a typical Pa. winter ski day. It does not go west with me on trips. It also does not have a hood, which I consider a must during really cold weather to block out wind when riding chairs.
The one piece of gear that I consider a must on cold days is my Marmot bib pants. They completely cover the waist area and bock off drafts in that area, my back stays nice and warm. Plenty of room for supplemental leg covering layer(s). I use these with a slightly larger hooded shell to accommodate the extra layers.
YMMV

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I second a 2 mid-layer stable. Patagonia Nano-air for most days. this layering jacket is superb. Breathes remarkably well and will keep you comfortable from 40's down to 15 or so. If it's going to be a colder day, I grab my Rab Strata. the Key here is the Polartec ALPHA insulation that you will find now in several different jackets (Strafe uses it extensively). ALPHA is was originally designed for US Special Forces as a insulation that is very warm but dumps heat quickly (not just moisture) so when you are active, it keeps you warm without getting you overheated which is always my issue when skiing on a cold day. These two layers work for me in any conditions.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to be able to go with just a shell and layers when it's brutally cold out but I just can't. Too many layers just make me feel like I can't move. That extra layer in the outer jacket really helps me to stay warm but still be able to move. Even using things like Arcteryx Atom Lt, Patagonia Nano-Air, and Patagonia Down Sweaters, sometimes it's just not enough.

That being said, I'm happy to read a couple of nice reviews of Eddie Bauer's stuff as I just picked up one of their Telemetry Freeride jackets for $130. It has perfect pocket placement! Actually, I just popped over to their site and now it looks like they have the other color which I like better available in 1 size smaller and I was questioning whether it was too big. Guess I'll order it too. You people are expensive.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
While I'm definitely on the layering train (base + R1 hoodie or Nano air + shell), I can see the point of an insulated outer jacket as well. If I was in the market I'd be looking at used ski-team jackets, Eddie Bauer, or Flylow. All make good gear at reasonable prices.

If I was skiing on the east coast or in the PNW, I would likely choose a synthetic insulator over down for those humid / stick wet days.

Example: https://www.steepandcheap.com/flylo...=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6Zmx5bG93OjE6MjpmbHlsb3c=

Last edited:
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Thanks for all the layering suggestions. I may not have made it clear enough that I have a nice variety of insulated midlayers to go with my shell. I use this approach most of the time. In ADDITION to that, I plan to get an insulated jacket for the coldest days in Vermont ... my choice of approach for the coldest days. Just looking for any good suggestions on reasonably priced insulated jackets.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
add strafe to that list for their use of Alpha. I just get too hot in jackets with heavy insulation mostly due to too much heat retention and moisture build-up.

Pati R-1 is a classic though. that and a Nano-air would cover you pretty well.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
embrace your inner Gear-Junky-ism.... :)

Inner? I'm pretty sure I'm not hiding it. Anyone have a color opinion?

upload_2017-10-10_8-54-0.png
upload_2017-10-10_8-55-21.png

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the one on the right, it will go better with your blue helmet.

That's the one coming in the smaller size and I like the color better because it's different than most of the stuff I've had of late. Although my insulators go better with the one on the left. I'm guessing the outcome will depend on sizing mostly.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Bright colours over pastel create higher visibility, providing a built in, passive, snowboarder/new schooler defense system.ogwink

As far as layers go, I used to get cold legs on cold days until I started wearing 2 light layers of long underwear. It also helps on long chairlift rides (22 minutes on SP's Burfield Chair:eek:) even when it is not so cold.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the layering suggestions. I may not have made it clear enough that I have a nice variety of insulated midlayers to go with my shell. I use this approach most of the time. In ADDITION to that, I plan to get an insulated jacket for the coldest days in Vermont ... my choice of approach for the coldest days. Just looking for any good suggestions on reasonably priced insulated jackets.

I walked in to the Eddie Bauer outlet. Haven't been there in years, might be my new destination. Great deals on all gear. They had some clearance cold weather coats for close to $100. It seems like people have had good luck with their merchandise too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I happen to also be looking for an insulated ski jacket right now (but I think I know what I'm getting).

Anyway, one reason I like an insulated jacket, in addition to @coskigirl 's points, is that if you have layers under your shell, you can't dump hot air with pit zips. For me, an insulated jacket with pit zips gives me the warmth I need on the lift while still allowing me to dump heat when I've been skiing hard. I've tried a shell with a full sleeve puffy underneath, and it's miserable. I've tried a shell with a vest puffy underneath, and it's not warm enough. An insulated jacket is Just Right for certain conditions - and if you don't mind sacrificing the closet space and cash, why not shoot for Just Right?

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Might be helpful to know how heavy of insulation you're looking for (60g, 80g, 100g), what's your budget and what's your size?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will be free skiing at Whitefish for the 2018-19 season, so yeah I'm getting that old and besides what is wrong with better living through electricity?

Whitefish can get pretty fracking cold!

Do you have a down puffy in your collection of layers! I find mine to be super warm and thin and light at the same time. I have one of those North face fleece jackets that is bulky and kind of sucks. Another plus on Eddie Bauer products..they make good gear.

Sponsor

Staff online