• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Looking for recommendations on an Insulated Ski Jacket for the coldest Vermont days. Already have a nice shell with layers for most days, but really want that extra warmth/protection for the super cold days. Will not be a primary jacket, so not looking to break the bank ... perhaps a prior season jacket? Prefer synthetic insulation, 20k/20k waterproof/breathable and a bit longer length.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have a 686 brand snowboard jacket I wear in the coldest vermont days and whenever I ski canada. It's dubbed my Canada jacket. It's thick, lots of pockets in the right places, and has a fleece layer that comes out if you like. I just keep the layer in and just wear it on cold days. It's generally my 20-25 degree and colder jacket, especially when there's no sun, it's snowy/windy, etc. $230 original cost bought for 50% off end of the season 2 seasons ago.

I think it's actually a mens jacket.. I usually just wear a base layer underneath it and maybe another layer but I'm never cold in this thing.

17265137_10154461906033014_8978965647569268546_n.jpg

19149267_10154745066408014_699715869627731352_n.jpg

18033203_10154571920378014_4986185226536442700_n.jpg

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Matt, why a jacket, not just a layer under your existing jacket? Something like the Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket, any brand, there are dozens very similar.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last edited:
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Matt, why a jacket, not just a layer under your existing jacket? Something like the Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket, any brand, there are dozens very similar.

That is the approach I use most days. I have various layers I can use in combinations under a nice shell. The insulated jacket would just be for the coldest days on the hill when, for me, nothing quite works like a warm insulated jacket in place of the shell.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's cold in VT. Real cold.
Skiing in VT, I usually wear a insulated jacket with layers underneath.
Not so much for my seasons out west.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Layering is just so much more economical. If you have a super insulated jacket, you can only use that on crazy cold days. With layering, you can mix it up to match the conditions, even within a single ski day. I skied seven hours a day in a week of -20 to -30F in Banff last January, and never really got cold, other than the tip of my nose (only exposed part). My setup is Patagonia-based. I go moisture-wicking base layer, R1 Hoodie (for my money, the best piece of ski clothing I've ever bought), light down vest, Nano-Air Jacket, and PowSlayer shell. It's not real bulky, and all the layers are thin enough that if I shed them during the day, they don't take up much room in my backpack. I believe I'm wearing everything except the thin vest in my profile pic.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Economical? What about skiing is economical? Layering's good when you don't know what to expect or can reasonably predict changing conditions.. Straight up super cold needs to be managed with straight up super cold outerwear and other layers as is warm conditions managed with lighter outerwear and under layer(s)

Try different things and keep what works.. then add different colors to be styleish as well as comfortable..

How Full is Your Closet? Jackets and Pants Overkill?

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
It's cold in VT. Real cold.
Skiing in VT, I usually wear a insulated jacket with layers underneath.
Not so much for my seasons out west.

Economical? What about skiing is economical? Straight up super cold needs to be managed with straight up super cold outerwear and other layers as is warm conditions managed with lighter outerwear and under layer(s)
^^^^^
My sentiments exactly!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Layering is just so much more economical. If you have a super insulated jacket, you can only use that on crazy cold days. With layering, you can mix it up to match the conditions, even within a single ski day. I skied seven hours a day in a week of -20 to -30F in Banff last January, and never really got cold, other than the tip of my nose (only exposed part). My setup is Patagonia-based. I go moisture-wicking base layer, R1 Hoodie (for my money, the best piece of ski clothing I've ever bought), light down vest, Nano-Air Jacket, and PowSlayer shell. It's not real bulky, and all the layers are thin enough that if I shed them during the day, they don't take up much room in my backpack. I believe I'm wearing everything except the thin vest in my profile pic.
For me, Layering gets uncomfortable fast! Thick seams overlap and create pressure points behind my neck, armpit weggies, strangulation and or jaw dislocation when trying to zip up the collar and or wear the hood up over a helmet, etc, etc.

Some shells and mid-layers from the same maker play nice together, which In my experience is a rare exception and I'm not going to mention names for fear of sounding like a fanboy. Besides what works for one person may not work for another.

Insulated jackets such as the down filled Arc'teryx fissile are cut large enough to layer under if needed. Plus the underarm vents open the entire jacket, layering can only open the shell and not the mid synthetic or down layer.

Once again, (thx @crgildart), - https://forum.pugski.com/threads/how-full-is-your-closet-jackets-and-pants-overkill.2000/

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I just bought a heated base layer top, shipped from Avade in Australia.
http://www.avade.com.au/products.html

$199AUS is roughly $160US.

There are cheaper ones from Amazon that I checked out but they used an older less powerful Lithium-Ion battery whereas Avade uses the latest high tech Lithium Polymer battery.

2017 was the coldest winter in B.C. in over 20 years, OTOH 2015 was the warmest in memory so :huh:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
WTH, Dano. Heated top?
We are not getting that old? Are we?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
WTH, Dano. Heated top?
We are not getting that old? Are we?

I will be free skiing at Whitefish for the 2018-19 season, so yeah I'm getting that old and besides what is wrong with better living through electricity?

Edit: Hell I'm old enough to remember milk home delivery and not by milk truck but by horse drawn wagon.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier

Not counting your base layer, on a cold day, you have at least 4 main zippers to mess with, 4 arm holes on each side, a multitude of pockets with zippers, 2 hoods, a powder skirt and a back pack. When it is cold I have a down coat with pit zips and I wear a base layer and a micro fleece pullover under the coat. If I get warm, I open the pit zips and the front zipper. When I go inside, I only have to deal with the coat. If is is a little warmer I wear a base layer, a Patagonia R2 and a gore-tex jacket.
I cannot imagine trying to wear 4 layers over my base layer. I would feel like I was in a straight jacket.ogwink

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Not counting your base layer, on a cold day, you have at least 4 main zippers to mess with, 4 arm holes on each side, a multitude of pockets with zippers, 2 hoods, a powder skirt and a back pack. When it is cold I have a down coat with pit zips and I wear a base layer and a micro fleece pullover under the coat. If I get warm, I open the pit zips and the front zipper. When I go inside, I only have to deal with the coat. If is is a little warmer I wear a base layer, a Patagonia R2 and a gore-tex jacket.
I cannot imagine trying to wear 4 layers over my base layer. I would feel like I was in a straight jacket.ogwink

Mehhh... It's not that bad. During the day (lunch, etc) I leave on the R1 and the vest (both very form fitting). The insulating jacket and shell go on/off together. And just think how many beers I can fit in all those pockets!

Different stroke for different folks. If I could find a big warm down jacket I liked, I'd certainly give it a try. My go-to warm jacket for MN winters is a Patagonia DAS parka (discontinued-BOOOOOO!!!). It's the warmest thing I've owned. I've never skied in it because I roast in it hiking/snowshoeing/fatbiking, even below zero. Maybe I'll give it a try this season!

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Sooo ... back to the question at hand. Since I DO plan to add an insulated (synthetic) jacket to the mix for those coldest days, any other suggestions for a reasonably priced option? Love Arcteryx, but won't be in that price ballpark for this jacket.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'll bite. I ski a lot at a ski area that can be brutally cold. <<<<<.

I have a few USST jackets, and other team jackets that are basically coaches jackets. They tend to be better built, better quality "everything", and the heavy ones are warm. I have Spyder, and Phenix, Descente. The downside is that you do look like a wannabe, and/or a billboard. On a brutally cold day, I could care less, to be honest. Nobody will think that I'm posing as Ligety. Maybe his dad.

I spend most days, and every day out West with a whole bunch of layering options, and actually have the same shell in two sizes to accommodate what is under it. Have been comfy at -30F. BTW, the shells are Arcteryx which I bought at deep discount.

However, three seasons ago, I was looking for a super warm coat that was just a touch longer {like covered my hips} and had a really well insulated big hood. Great pockets, and preferably good down.

I bought am Eddie Bauer. I can't recall the exact model. It's up North. It is black with a lime green liner and accents. It's basically a mountaineering coat. The exterior fabric is really great....not like a puffy down that you think can be cut or ouched through easily.
It's really great. I was clued into it by a friend who's patrol staff was outfitted in the same jackets.

I think that the MSRP was maybe $300. I paid more like $180? A lot of coat for the money.

Maybe Eddie Bauer has the same coat, or something similar in the lineup.

Sorry for the lack of details, or pics.

Descente also makes a few very nice, very warm high end jackets and if you search around, they can be found as leftovers at good prices. My last one had a MRSP that was insane.....Maybe $7-800, and I paid about $250. Really nice. It's the same jacket that many teams use. Mine is black, with a few gray/silver accents. Top of the hips, and not a hood that works over a helmet standing around for me. Otherwise great detailing and materials.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Thanks for the detailed post! Was just looking at Eddie Bauer today! I'll have to look more carefully to see if I can find what you described above. I, too, prefer a little more length than the typical jacket for my "coldest days" insulated coat.

Sponsor

Staff online