• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instructor training in New Zealand

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hiromi and I are in the middle of a three-week advanced instructor training course at Treble Cone. Beautiful place; phenomenal coaches: JF Beaulieu the first week, Jonathan Ballou the second and Reilly McGlashan the third. JF focused on the beginning of the turn, Jonathan on the shaping phase/finish
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG

and Reilly usually focuses on individual biases. The course is offered by The Rookie Academy. Various courses offered in New Zealand, Aspen and one-week training in Quebec with JF. Highly recommended!

If anyone has any specific questions on the focuses we've been touching on, feel free to ask!

Best!
Mike

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This is so cool, Mike. A little summary of the main take aways in each phase of the turn would be great, if you have the time.

Also, were they focused on improving your turns, or rather on how you can help your students improve their turns? I am crurious because I am no instructor, never been in one of those.

Happy for you!

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
this is stuff dreams (and very cool vids ) are made of .....congrats on jumping in on the experience. yes, any take aways especially on the beginning of the turn would be very useful. also, I agree with Mendieta on telling us WHY and HOW you feel they are such great coaches.....what approaches did they use that resonated with you personally....and perhaps how that translates on a more general level......

great stuff!

JP

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Let me see if I can summarize some of the main focuses of the clinic thus far. The emphasis of the course has been improvement in our own all-terrain skiing, but the fundamentals would apply to our students, taking into account their skill level, of course.

JF's primary emphasis was twofold: 1. Being over, and balancing on, the new outside ski before starting down the hill, then letting gravity and the curve of the ski do most of the work (most skiers rush the start and fall inside, usually with upper-body rotation, and never establish a stable platform underfoot). 2. Effective upper/lower body separation.

Much of the first day was spent balancing over the new outside ski in suspension, using a lifted inside half, instead of mashing down on the outside ski or forcing the skis to "turn," which often translates to braced, forced, or out-of-balance skiing. JF emphasizes being planted firmly on the entire footbed, including the heel, rather than driving forward into the cuff of the boot, which he feels restricts movement. (Jonathan suggests using a dorsiflexed foot at all times to help pull the foot down into the footbed.)

JF also emphasizes using just enough counter to allow full range of motion. His basic rule of thumb is to be looking along the outside edge of the outside ski throughout the turn, with the navel facing just downhill of that tip.

At the transition, there is a committed shift of the center of mass across the skis, establishing all weight on the new outside ski early. Rather than lifting the new inside ski off the snow, however, he suggests staying more two footed as the skis start downhill on their own after they flatten (increases stability). The radius of the turn is then determined by how much, and how long, the new inside foot unweights, i.e., a slight lift with short duration will result in a shorter turn; a higher lift with a longer duration will result in a longer turn. Both JF and Jonathan emphasize not bracing and pressing down on the outside ski. Both suggest a more supple outside leg, with weight on it resulting from the lifting of the inside half and shortening of the inside leg. Both also suggest cocking the inside ski back under you to eliminate excessive tip lead that restricts the angles available from the legs. (This was also suggested to me by Deb Armstrong at a high-performance clinic last year.) We used the stork turn exercise to help us feel that sensation (inside tip in the snow as you start downhill, inside ski pulled back under you with the tail lifted out of the snow).

Jonathan took over the second week and built on the foundation laid by JF. His emphasis was what happened from the time the skis were pointing downhill through the shaping/finishing phases.

A major emphasis was allowing the foot to flatten progressively through to the end of the turn. One side note was the importance of a footbed that allows movement of the foot, as opposed to a footbed that locks the foot in a set position. (Harald Harb is keen on this also.) Simply allowing a progressive flattening of the foot and a collapse of the arch though the shaping phase creates a smooth, supple connection to the snow and a beautifully progressive turn shape. We used the drill wherein we face across the slope holding position using the rolled-over inside edge of the outside ski. In the functionally counted position advocated by JF, we roll over the outside foot until the skis start to slide. We then progressively roll back that outside arch by pronating/flattening it until the slide is arrested. We began slowly and smoothly, then added a more emphatic end to the rollback. That feeling of simply allowing the foot to roll over to flat at the beginning of the turn to allow, rather than force, the skis to release into the new turn, combined with the sensation of progressively flattening the foot through the shaping phase to the end of the turn, was clearly felt.

Another exercise Jonathan used was the "Schlopy drill." This effectively put us into the functional counter JF wanted and really made us feel what is is. For those not familiar with this drill, you start by traversing with your downhill hand pushing in against your downhill hip. Your uphill arm/hand reach toward your downhill ski tip. As the skis turn downhill, shift the placement of your hands to the opposite sides. Quite effective!

Youtube has illustrations of this drill and videos of JF and Jonathan skiing. If you go to "Jonathan Ballou Medium Turns," you should be able to see a clear illustration of his emphases in his own skiing.

OK, enough of this. Back to the slopes!

Last edited:

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
MIke, thanks very much for the detailed insight and experiences....I will be reading this a few times to get it all in my head...great stuff!

JP

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a question.
Mike, you wrote something about using dorsiflexion to help pull the foot down into the footbed, and you indicated that doing this is different from driving forward into the cuff. I dorsiflex 100% of the time using muscle power, and this keeps my foot fully planted, ball-of-foot to heel, on the footbed most of the time. I've found that dorsiflexing using muscle power - to get the shin pressed against the boot tongue/cuff) moves the heel deeper into the heel pocket and down firmly onto the boot sole, while positioning the foot under the body in a good place. I think this is what you are saying they are saying in this camp.

So here's my question. Did the admonition to NOT drive forward into the cuff mean also mean to NOT stay on the ball-of-foot all the time, despite the fact that so many advocate doing just that? I've come to the almost-certain conclusion that (me, not saying this applies to everyone) being on the whole foot with ankle closed, shin firmly pressed against the boot cuff, allows me to move forward and bend the ski tip just fine, and that lightening the heel does not do the job as well. Was this business of whether being on the ball-of-foot or not part of what you learned, or did they teach something else?

Last edited:
TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Liquidfeet: Great question, and one that generates a great deal of conflicting opinions. The clinicians I click with most (Deb Armstrong, JF Beaulieu, Jonathan Ballou, Reilly McGlashan) are pretty consistent in their opinions on this. I'll share what they advocate, then suggest each person try it and then decide what works for them.

In reading your question, the thing that popped out to me was your use of the term "muscle power" to describe what you do when you use dorsiflexion to pull your feet down into your footbeds. You state that this presses your shin into the front of the cuff, where you prefer to stay. Are you familiar with the term, "cuff neutral"? This connotes being in a functional position that does not impose pressure unnecessarily in any direction. When we engage our core (front and back) before starting out, then dorsiflex smoothly to suck our feet all the way down into our footbeds until the bottoms of our feet are completely seated and planted, I don't feel my shin is forced against the front of the cuff, but is in a place where pressure can be exerted against it (or the sides, or even the back) as needed while skiing. If the foot is seated in the footbed, it is still able to adjust fore and aft, side to side, as needed in all phases of the turn, in varying snow conditions. That also means the shin will not be driving forward into the cuff at all times during the turn. The bottom of the foot will roll forward slightly as the tips engage at the start of the turn, then roll slightly back through to the completion (Deb refers to this as "stroking the skis"). Here is an example used by Bob Barnes: Think about what we do when skiing bumps. As we go up the bump, don't we roll back slightly on the bottoms of our feet and feel the diagonal back of our cuffs as we approach the crest, then recenter, then roll forward on the bottoms of our feet into the diagonal front of the cuff going down the front of the bump? If we are driving forward into the cuff at all times, would that not restrict the movements needed to allow our feet to continually adjust our balance and position on the skis, and adversely affect performance? This does not mean we ever "lighten the heel." Just the opposite in fact. Dorsiflexing keeps the heel planted at all times, but does not preclude mobility along the bottom of the foot that translates into the ability to adjust cuff pressure as needed during different phases of the turn.

We're talking very subtle differences here in terms of both semantics and sensation, but I think these distinctions can make a huge difference in our skiing. I hope this has helped to clarify.

Best!
Mike

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Thanks for replying, Mike. Yes, it does help to clarify what you are talking about. I'm very interested in what you are reporting as I very much respect the clinic leaders you are working with and want to know everything. I learn best from verbal descriptions by paraphrasing. Below is what I think you just said. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, as is, of course, likely.

1. Your clinic leaders all say keep the heels firmly planted, do not keep them light. They do not promote balancing on the ball-of-foot with heel lightened.

2. Keeping the heels firmly planted is the reason to "effectively dorsiflex at all times." The goal of dorsiflexion is not to flex the cuff - aka to "drive forward into the cuff."

3. When the ankles are dorsiflexed and the heels are down and back, the skier can direct pressure fore-aft along the length of the ski with ease. It does not take having weight on the ball-of-foot with a light heel when one wants to direct pressure to the front of the ski.

4. Assumption (although you didn't say this): one recognizable marker of successful dorsiflexion is keeping the angle between the shin and the ski less than 90º.

Have I read you right? If so, this is great because it's totally confirming of what I already do (or try to do).

PS: You imply that muscle action is not involved in dorsiflexion. I disagree. "Dorsiflexion" requires muscle action of the tibialis anterior, plus a few other muscles. Our normal balance on dry land requires holding the ankles at a 90º angle to the ground. But when skiing, this balance strategy does not work; skiers need to do something different to stay balanced while moving downhill. Active dorsiflexion is needed to get skiers to reduce that familiar 90º angle. The skier can help the ankles stay dorsiflexed by pulling the feet back relative to the hips. I do this; it keeps me centered over the ski as a "home base." But pulling the foot back alone it isn't enough to seat the heel in the boot. Contracting the TA is necessary.

Also, what I just wrote above is how I ski. I get the impression in your post that you think I am "driving into the cuff" at all times in order to flex it. Nope.

Last edited:
TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hi, Liquidfeet!

Fun discussion! Numbers 1-3: accurate; number 4: not discussed, but seems reasonable.

PS: As you say, muscle engagement is necessary to dorsiflex! I was reacting to the phrase "muscle power" and just wanted to clarify that the activity was not an abrupt or forced one. I had a similar concern with your self-description of movement "driving forward into the cuff" for the same reason. Sorry if I misunderstood. I've found that semantic misunderstandings are the problem in 90% of ineffective lessons! So often the coach says something that the student thinks he/she understands, tries to do what was interpreted, doesn't achieve the desired end, and everyone ends up frustrated!

One question: Most of my coaches advocate cocking back the inside foot during the shaping phase, keeping it under us to maximize balance and the available range of motion in the legs. The outside ski will simultaneously give the sensation of slicing ahead. Do you feel both feet are pulling back in the shaping phase or only the inside?

Best!
Mike

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
On sliding/pulling one foot or the other or both back relative to the hips, it depends.

That business of the outside ski giving "the sensation of slicing ahead" -- do you mean it feels like it's sliding forward even though it may not be, and the feeling results from you pulling the inside ski back, or it really slides forward because ... well, because you actually slide it forward relative to the inside foot? I'm curious. Yes, words can so easily be mistaken when talking about this stuff.

Sliding of the outside foot back during the shaping phase is very different from sliding the inside foot back. The outside leg extends when you slide it back, with the foot moving behind the hip. Sliding the inside foot back, on the other hand, never gets it behind the hip, and you keep shortening the leg as you pull it back. Two actions, same words, very different sensations. In long turns I do that. Do your coaches have anything to say about that?

This is fun; it makes the memory of skiing come alive for me. I'm jealous that you are actually out there skiing, and with the big boys, too, while I'm sweating here in DC.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You would be amazed at the number of people who equate using the heels as solid anchors (as in proper lifting technique for a squat) with being "back on your heels."
I did, until I saw Project Kitz.
It was a revelation!

TS
mike_m

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Hello, all, thanks for participating!

Liquid feet: The goal of simultaneously slicing the outside foot ahead while the inside cocks back under you was cited primarily in a carving environment and, yes, it was an actual intent.

The concept of sliding the outside foot back during the shaping phase is new to me; never heard it mentioned before. I'm not even sure I could do it! When might that be utilized?

Best!
Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Awesome report. Glad you are gaving a great time, it shows that learning can be fun.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Most of my coaches advocate cocking back the inside foot during the shaping phase, keeping it under us to maximize balance and the available range of motion in the legs. The outside ski will simultaneously give the sensation of slicing ahead. Do

With so much emphasis on "pulling the inside foot or feet back" during the last decade, "The outside ski slicing ahead" is an integral part of the equation often overlooked. Pressing the inside edge of the outside ski beginning early in the arc is what allows us to bend the ski & actually manipulate the shape & radius of the turn. Without sufficient flex in the outside leg early on, our ability to regulate pressure is severely limited.

@mike_m, thanks for letting us tag along! I would be interested in hearing what your coaches have to say about flexing & if their default stance has changed in that regard during recent years (i.e., more flexed to engage the core)?

CharlieP

Putting on skis
Skier
With so much emphasis on "pulling the inside foot or feet back" during the last decade, "The outside ski slicing ahead" is an integral part of the equation often overlooked. Pressing the inside edge of the outside ski beginning early in the arc is what allows us to bend the ski & actually manipulate the shape & radius of the turn. Without sufficient flex in the outside leg early on, our ability to regulate pressure is severely limited.

@mike_m, thanks for letting us tag along! I would be interested in hearing what your coaches have to say about flexing & if their default stance has changed in that regard during recent years (i.e., more flexed to engage the core)?

Aug 19, 2017

Hi 4ster, mike_m:

In the two hi-lited phrases, Is this just "standing/pressurring" the inside edge of the outside ski? Or is this really "standing and pushing forward" with the outside ski while also "standing/pressuring" the inside edge of the outside ski?

Thanks,

Think snow,

CP

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hi Charlie,

If I understand your question, no "standing" as in "stand on" as this is dynamic balance. So I say "press against" & "press the ski through" the turn. Hope this paints a better picture.

I've heard Ligety describe it as pushing but personally I hate that word when it comes to skiing unles I'm pushing for powder with my poles ;) .

Sponsor