• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I shaved another 5 seconds off my Concept2 row time for the 2000m - down to 7:53.4

I could do better if I concentrated on the training but I have too much other stuff going on. Are there any other Concept 2 fans out there?

I am. I purchased one for the family but it sat around collecting dust so I sold it. Not long after my son decides to take up rowing in his final year of school.
I did 6min23s for the 2000M recently. Nothing left in the tank afterwards though.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Last edited:

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've never enjoyed weights or gym work but I undertook a transformation programme last year and the benefits of resistance work is undeniable.
My preference has always been for outdoor based fitness with paddling being my thing. Not a huge amount of load placed on the legs but the core workout is incredible. Especially out in open water when the wind and swell pick up.
IMG_1227.PNG

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
@BoofHead That's an excellent time. Assuming you are in the 40-49 age group that would put you 8th out of 1545 entries for this season. I'm surprised you got rid of the machine after putting yourself in the 98th percentile worldwide. If you are 50 or older you would currently be number one on the leader board. Nice work!

https://log.concept2.com/rankings/2018/rower/2000?age=40-49

https://log.concept2.com/rankings/2018/rower/2000?age=50-59
Wow! Thanks for posting that, I am genuinely blown away. I’m 52.
I can tell you the machine was definitely jumping around the gym.
Long arms and legs combined with weight must surely be a contributing factor.
Cheers, you’ve made my day with that info.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@BoofHead

So here's what you should do to make it legit - assuming you can do it again!

Create a login / password over at the Concept2 log (navigate from the above links to get there). You can do manual entries on your logbook but they would be considered "Unverified" which is OK if you are just keeping track for yourself but if you have a number 1 time you should get it "Verified". The guys on the top of those rankings literally row millions of meters per year, for a stranger with no history to post a #1 time, well there would be doubts...

Download the free SkiErg APP on your phone (Google Store). The APP creates a code that verifies your efforts and uploads it to your online logbook.

Next time you row, start with the Options button on the PM5 monitor and turn on the Bluetooth wireless.

Open up the SkiErg App and connect your phone to the PM5 (currently only the latest version, the PM5, has wireless connections)

Set up the 2k piece on the PM5 to count meters backwards to zero.

Row row row your boat...

When you're done you can sync the phone with your Concept 2 account and post your times on your logbook. Swipe the screen from right to left to see more stuff on the APP.

You can then choose your personal best times to be "Ranked"

Bask in the glory of your awesomeness (shit, I would).

If you have any trouble getting all this to work, PM me and get some more details. It's all on the Concept2 site but you need to dig for it.

Congratulations!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Now that I think of it, I would be tempted to do this:

Practice a bit to make sure you can do a number one time again. Set up all of the above login stuff but only row one 2k piece, log it and rank it.

Then leave it up there for a while. Anyone looking at your profile would see:

Lifetime Meters 2,000
2018 Season Meters 2,000
Ranked Pieces 2018: 2000m @ 6:23 "Verified"

Boom!
Then troll the C2 Forum pages and enjoy all the folks wondering who the hell you are! :popcorn:

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
Pressure. I hadn't planned on having another attempt as I was just happy that I could still beat my son at something. His best ergo was 6:30 something.
I guess ill have to have another crack to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
recovering from an injury at the moment and then a couple of OS ski trips this Winter so I won't be fully up to scratch until next year sometime.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Back to back personal best times on the C2 Machine:

2000m 7:50:1 (3 seconds better) puts me in the 75th percentile for my age and weight (65 / 156)
5000m 20:10:2 (10 seconds better) puts me in the 80th percentile for my age and weight

In both cases I didn't start out with a PB in mind, just felt good halfway through and put the hammer down for the remaining distance. The 5k is 20 minutes of being on the edge of anaerobic breathing and heart rate. I wonder what I could do if I trained specifically for those events? A 20 minute 5k used to seem beyond my ability but now I think I could do it with some real training beforehand.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been doing yoga and pilates-mat regularly in the gym and just ordered a pair of gel gym shorts so when we come back from Scotland I'll be adding spinning to the regime. Hate the gym but love the classes. My sisters and I were talking about doing a 10k come fall time so when we sign up for it I'll add 'treadmilling' to the mix.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After many issues with my knee and my shoulder, I'm back in the gym!

It's been just over two years since my ACL surgery, and squats were still causing knee pain. Never mind one leg squats. But it's been a real problem - my right quad has been considerably smaller than my left quad, and I've had trouble convincing my right leg to do its fair share. (Note, I'm right side dominant, so this is particularly frustrating.) I can't do deadlifts when I'm using one leg more than the other - I would end up with back pain every time because of the screwy dynamics.

On top of that, my shoulder had enormous problems for quite a while. Even yoga, which is normally my go-to for shoulder relief, irritated it. After much PT, I went back to trying deadlifts - but my shoulder was elevated. Again, no good for even deadlifts. Did some more PT and body work, and eventually got that straightened out (literally).

I asked my trainer for a one-leg quad exercise that didn't require full body weight. I couldn't even picture what would work - but that's why he's the trainer. You do a one leg squat where your other leg is straight behind you on an exercise ball, and one hand is holding something - loosely - for support. While you squat, the ball rolls back with your leg, and the same when you stand back up. Focus on squeezing the ball at the bottom, and using the front leg's muscles all the way through.

That exercise was the first time since surgery that my right quad got more sore than my left!!

So I started getting back into deadlifts under his supervision - light weights, high (10) reps. I'm slowly working my way up the weights. I know I can lift more than I am, but I'm following his guidance and increasing weight very slowly. I realized my knee didn't hurt, even though I'd stopped wearing lifting shoes for deadlifts (shoes aren't usually used for deadlifts, but he recommended it to reduce the stress on my knee).

Then my trainer had me try front squats. In the past, my inflexible shoulders and wrists hadn't let me do these properly. And as I mentioned above, even body weight squats had been hurting my knee. But with all the shoulder PT I've done recently, I was able to get my hands where they should be. I only realized after the fact that I'd been able to do some pretty deep squats, even with a bar and a little bit of weight, without any knee issues!

These front squats are nice because it's hard to "cheat" and use one leg more than the other. I definitely notice it the day after - my right quad is actually more sore than the left!! Yay!!

So I now have enough exercises that I can do a full workout, and I even need to mix and match a bit from day to day. My weight room is in a climbing gym, so if I have extra time, I'll do some routes afterwards. Weirdly, climbing makes my knee feel better ...

My exercises (currently):
  • Lat pulldown
  • Ring pushups (I take two or three steps forward to reduce the effective weight)
  • Seated cable row
  • Decline sit up (Doing these at 45* and 55*, which is higher than dedicated decline benches go)
  • Hammer (I can't find this by name on the interwebs, but you put a bar into this ball joint on the ground and then slowly twist from side to side and bring the bar down to your waist and up again)
  • Deadlift
  • Front Squat
  • 1L squat on ball
How does all of this relate to skiing? Some does, some doesn't, but lifting heavy objects just feels good. Or even lifting modest objects with the goal of lifting heavy. Before whatever stopped me in the past, I was able to do sets of 205 lb on deadlifts, and my goal is to get there and then go beyond. Ski season could interfere. But yesterday, my highest set was 155. Baby steps. I keep reminding myself that it's more important to work on proper form and not injure myself - than to boost my ego with bigger weights too fast.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
It really amazed me what 3 months of not being able to do much of any exercise at all did for my attitude toward going to the gym. It was always a chore for me, but now I consider it a great privilege to be able to go to my dark, cramped and smelly neighborhood rec center gym and have awkward interactions with familiar strangers waiting for the same stations as me. I do hope this feeling lasts, as my normal fitness options aren't available to me yet.

My doctor has admonished me that running and jumping are still not wise options for now, so that leaves out my usual combination of trail running, plyometrics, and basketball. I'm still not confident enough to get on my bike (what if I had to bail out to the left side?), so that pretty much leaves stationary bike, rowing machine, and weight lifting. Oh, and walking in the pool, which was another suggestion from my doctor, and is a much better workout than I expected, and much more than it feels like as you're doing it.

So far the only lower-body resistance exercises I'm comfortable doing are the leg-lift and elastic band-type moves that the PT office taught me, and a light load on the leg press machine. I'll slowly work into squats, dead lifts, and lunges as I'm able to, and in the mean time I can focus more on upper body, which has always been an afterthought with my weight training.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just had surgery on my left foot on Monday. After two days of Norco 10s every four hours and feeling like sh*t, I'm off the narcotics. Still don't feel great and can't wait until I can do something, anything. All I can do right now is keep my foot elevated as much as possible. I'm allowed to weight bear but have pins in all of my toes and a post-op shoe on. I have some light weights and elastic bands lying around the house, so I'll start doing working out with those soon. I don't even belong to a gym but may get a temporary membership just for some structure.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just had surgery on my left foot on Monday. After two days of Norco 10s every four hours and feeling like sh*t, I'm off the narcotics. Still don't feel great and can't wait until I can do something, anything. All I can do right now is keep my foot elevated as much as possible. I'm allowed to weight bear but have pins in all of my toes and a post-op shoe on. I have some light weights and elastic bands lying around the house, so I'll start doing working out with those soon. I don't even belong to a gym but may get a temporary membership just for some structure.

Yeah, foot surgery is the worst for sitting around staring at the walls. You could do bench presses with dumb bells ... um ... yeah, those. Possibly some core stuff if you can keep from moving your legs around while doing it ...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, foot surgery is the worst for sitting around staring at the walls. You could do bench presses with dumb bells ... um ... yeah, those. Possibly some core stuff if you can keep from moving your legs around while doing it ...
I had been thinking I should work on strength while I'm down. I'm used to at least an hour of exertion (biking, swimming or running) a day. What I need is a hand cycle!

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
After many issues with my knee and my shoulder, I'm back in the gym!

It's been just over two years since my ACL surgery, and squats were still causing knee pain. Never mind one leg squats. But it's been a real problem - my right quad has been considerably smaller than my left quad, and I've had trouble convincing my right leg to do its fair share. (Note, I'm right side dominant, so this is particularly frustrating.) I can't do deadlifts when I'm using one leg more than the other - I would end up with back pain every time because of the screwy dynamics.

On top of that, my shoulder had enormous problems for quite a while. Even yoga, which is normally my go-to for shoulder relief, irritated it. After much PT, I went back to trying deadlifts - but my shoulder was elevated. Again, no good for even deadlifts. Did some more PT and body work, and eventually got that straightened out (literally).

I asked my trainer for a one-leg quad exercise that didn't require full body weight. I couldn't even picture what would work - but that's why he's the trainer. You do a one leg squat where your other leg is straight behind you on an exercise ball, and one hand is holding something - loosely - for support. While you squat, the ball rolls back with your leg, and the same when you stand back up. Focus on squeezing the ball at the bottom, and using the front leg's muscles all the way through.

That exercise was the first time since surgery that my right quad got more sore than my left!!

So I started getting back into deadlifts under his supervision - light weights, high (10) reps. I'm slowly working my way up the weights. I know I can lift more than I am, but I'm following his guidance and increasing weight very slowly. I realized my knee didn't hurt, even though I'd stopped wearing lifting shoes for deadlifts (shoes aren't usually used for deadlifts, but he recommended it to reduce the stress on my knee).

Then my trainer had me try front squats. In the past, my inflexible shoulders and wrists hadn't let me do these properly. And as I mentioned above, even body weight squats had been hurting my knee. But with all the shoulder PT I've done recently, I was able to get my hands where they should be. I only realized after the fact that I'd been able to do some pretty deep squats, even with a bar and a little bit of weight, without any knee issues!

These front squats are nice because it's hard to "cheat" and use one leg more than the other. I definitely notice it the day after - my right quad is actually more sore than the left!! Yay!!

So I now have enough exercises that I can do a full workout, and I even need to mix and match a bit from day to day. My weight room is in a climbing gym, so if I have extra time, I'll do some routes afterwards. Weirdly, climbing makes my knee feel better ...

My exercises (currently):
  • Lat pulldown
  • Ring pushups (I take two or three steps forward to reduce the effective weight)
  • Seated cable row
  • Decline sit up (Doing these at 45* and 55*, which is higher than dedicated decline benches go)
  • Hammer (I can't find this by name on the interwebs, but you put a bar into this ball joint on the ground and then slowly twist from side to side and bring the bar down to your waist and up again)
  • Deadlift
  • Front Squat
  • 1L squat on ball
How does all of this relate to skiing? Some does, some doesn't, but lifting heavy objects just feels good. Or even lifting modest objects with the goal of lifting heavy. Before whatever stopped me in the past, I was able to do sets of 205 lb on deadlifts, and my goal is to get there and then go beyond. Ski season could interfere. But yesterday, my highest set was 155. Baby steps. I keep reminding myself that it's more important to work on proper form and not injure myself - than to boost my ego with bigger weights too fast.

Your workout routine sounds scary to me. As one of my summer goals, I just started to go to the gym again. I’m trying to make it a natural habit/unquestionable part of my weeks. So far, I’ve been to the gym 1-2 times a week for the last few weeks. I’m slowly getting over the feeling of being an imposter. I do have to look at the guides on the machines or watch other people before trying something:huh:...After tonight, I’ll have been to the gym 3 times this week!! I think that’s a record for me. I’m such a lazy exerciser, but I do like to be active....before trying this gym thing, I get myself to “exercise” by riding my bike to work every day. I much prefer biking to the subway. I switched my bike to fixed a few years ago so that I’m pedaling 100% of the time. I walk a lot. In the winter I do ice hockey skating clinics and attempt to play, then there is skiing. But that was the extent of my “exercise”.
...hoping that this summer, I get into the gym vibe and stick with it. I also want to lose 10-15 pounds and look “toned”.... haha.:roflmao:

Other stuff on the fitness to do list: try to get into jogging/running and swimming. Once I can run, will def try to get back into rec soccer.

Getting old and gaining weight sucks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
In what sense?

In the sense that it sounds super intense and hard, especially to my novice gym-self. a friend and I tried to do bench presses bc we thought it would be funny. Holy heck, we could barely lift the bar without weights on it! We only lifted it 5 times each, that was cool but not for us. SI have no idea how people lift it with tons of big weights on it. Usually it’s big muscle-y dudes though.

Sponsor

Staff online