• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I wouldn't worry about small muscles for skiing.

Leg press, deadlift, maybe hamstrings curls. Heavy weights.

The smaller muscles will take care of themselves, if the quads, butt and hamstrings are strong.
True to an extent.
I use these all day at my sit/stand desk.
They require tiny muscular inputs muscles in your feet and legs for balance.
Fantastic! Very helpful in keeping your balance tuned up.
And it’s fun.
D4647DC8-6253-4216-8B4A-7ED6D4335478.jpeg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
True to an extent.
I use these all day at my sit/stand desk.
They require tiny muscular inputs muscles in your feet and legs for balance.
Fantastic! Very helpful in keeping your balance tuned up.
And it’s fun.
View attachment 32807

I do NOT think I could do knowledge work while doing this!

Conference calls, on the other hand ...

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
The leg blaster really is a phenomenal pre-season exercise series for skiing. I've been doing them for 4 or 5 seasons now. Every year I've felt strong and ready for more at the end of day 1 when friends have been sore and tired, and I've found the benefits carry throughout the season. It's well worth trying if you're looking for something ski specific to add to your workout program.

I agree. I find I get more mileage out of leg blasters for skiing than any other exercise I have tried. They work great as in-season maintenance, too. I just dial back the reps/sets a bit and try not to do them when I know I will be skiing in the next two days. In the pre-season, I add them to my typical heavy squatting/deadlifting routine instead of replacing the heavy lifting. If you can get through the full workout by your first day of skiing, you won't have any trouble with fatigue in the early season. For reasons I don't entirely understand (since the point of them is they mimic eccentric movements in skiing), leg blasters really help with mountain biking. I have been doing full sets of blasters for about a month now, and I did a 10 mile ride with about 1300 feet of elevation gain a week or so ago after nearly a month off from biking with little trouble. I was really surprised as normally a month off from biking leaves me really out of biking shape.

I also agree that lots of core work (russian twists, scotty bobs, planks), balancing focused stuff like squats and tuck positions on bosu balls, and dynamic movements like lateral hops over sandbags all translate to skiing very well.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Cool, those leg blasters look killer. I do some of that stuff but since climbing is less explosive movements more of my current plan seems to be focused on core and balance. I'll show my partner that article and see if we can incorporate some of that stuff into next month's leg days. I think core is pretty well taken care of, I am working out five days a week and each day has some core and one day is nothing but.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I agree. I find I get more mileage out of leg blasters for skiing than any other exercise I have tried. They work great as in-season maintenance, too. I just dial back the reps/sets a bit and try not to do them when I know I will be skiing in the next two days. In the pre-season, I add them to my typical heavy squatting/deadlifting routine instead of replacing the heavy lifting. If you can get through the full workout by your first day of skiing, you won't have any trouble with fatigue in the early season. For reasons I don't entirely understand (since the point of them is they mimic eccentric movements in skiing), leg blasters really help with mountain biking. I have been doing full sets of blasters for about a month now, and I did a 10 mile ride with about 1300 feet of elevation gain a week or so ago after nearly a month off from biking with little trouble. I was really surprised as normally a month off from biking leaves me really out of biking shape.

I also agree that lots of core work (russian twists, scotty bobs, planks), balancing focused stuff like squats and tuck positions on bosu balls, and dynamic movements like lateral hops over sandbags all translate to skiing very well.

Another vote for Leg Blasters!

More than any other leg excercises I do/have done this most feels like I’ve just skied when I finish them. I started them in mid September and have worked up to 6 full Blasters 30-60second rest periods between them 3 times a week. I do them immediately after an upper body weight training work out M/W/F at the end of each blaster I add in a 30 second side to side jump over a foam roller (like making quick slalom turns). When I’m done I’m drained, toasted, done...it takes a day to recover properly and you will shed weight as well (if that’s a goal) in my case I have dropped 3 pounds or so just from the Blasters although in my case the aim is for fitness not weight loss.

I’ll keep this routine up till about Thanksgiving then switch over to skiing nearly daily. This is the first year I have done this program so It will be interesting to see how I feel those first days and weeks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't think I could either... what's knowledge work

Eh, might not be precisely the right term ... I just mean, if I have to concentrate, I would have trouble also doing a physical skill.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I shaved another 5 seconds off my Concept2 row time for the 2000m - down to 7:53.4

I could do better if I concentrated on the training but I have too much other stuff going on. Are there any other Concept 2 fans out there?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Concept II is the best piece of training equipment out there. Time a 2000 as a benchmark. Same with a 10,000 (not that I ever did)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I rowed a new 5000m personal best yesterday (20:24.5) on the Concept 2. That's not a bad time for a lightweight 64 so I'm quite pleased with myself! I'm also lifting weights 2-3 times per week and putting in 130 miles a week on the road bike. Glad I don't work!

For those who are into the rowing thing, here is a great starting point to establish some good mechanics:
I need to transition into more ski specific exercise though. I'll add the leg blasters and work some in-line skating into the mix before I leave in January.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I rowed a new 5000m personal best yesterday (20:24.5) on the Concept 2. That's not a bad time for a lightweight 64 so I'm quite pleased with myself! I'm also lifting weights 2-3 times per week and putting in 130 miles a week on the road bike. Glad I don't work!

For those who are into the rowing thing, here is a great starting point to establish some good mechanics:
I need to transition into more ski specific exercise though. I'll add the leg blasters and work some in-line skating into the mix before I leave in January.

Fuller I'm impressed! What are you going to transition to? You mention lifting? Are you doing a routine or mixing it up?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Took another 5 seconds off the 5000m time, down to 20:20.

@no edge , I'm not a big guy and I've never been fond of weight lifting but I love how it makes you strong for everything else, so yeah, I mix it up. I avoid heavy weights combined with full knee flex (weighted squats) but I can do the Leg Blasters Mini set without too much knee pain. Upper body work is mostly dumb bell press, bicep curls and lat pull down on the cable machine. The rowing machine can be whatever you need it to be, a warm up / cool down routine or a 30 minute suffer fest. I do a lot of anaerobic interval training on the Concept2. You can set it up to do 500m with 1 minute rest in between. If you can keep a pace at 1:54 per 500m (x5) on the interval you should be able to do a 2000m piece at about 1:58 per 500m. That's about 7: 52 of pure torture. I love it.

I guess I'm more interested in keeping my whole body fit rather than concentrate entirely on ski specific exercise. Of course when I get to Montana for 6 weeks I'll want to ski bell to bell for as many days as I can. Last year I went one time to the local health club that has a pool and a couple of C2 machines. I think this year I will take a more well rounded approach and get a few more swim / row days mixed in with skiing. That's what fog days are good for!

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Well, still stuck at 247ish, but the AB has definitely split into loaves so that is a good sign. :D
Going to go work out now. I'm going to steal the bottom wire on the horse fence and make a semi invisable dog fence around 7ish ac. I only have to dig in 300 across the front, and 150 to the house.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Attempted the Leg Blasters today. I thought my legs were in pretty good shape but wow did that hurt! I'm thinking all my existing leg movements have been consistent, steady work and almost no explosive, quick movements. 8 weeks to get trained!

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Attempted the Leg Blasters today. I thought my legs were in pretty good shape but wow did that hurt! I'm thinking all my existing leg movements have been consistent, steady work and almost no explosive, quick movements. 8 weeks to get trained!

Yeah they are killers if you do them even halfway right:).

Good idea to start with the half blaster then work your way up, mixing half and full. The goal is to get 6 full Blasters, 30-60seconds of rest between.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The goal is to get 6 full Blasters, 30-60seconds of rest between.

I'll be amazed if I can to 6 of the minis but I'm going to try. It's the jumping action that makes me nervous, it's something that I never do anymore in any of my sports or regular activity. There's a fine line between in-shape legs and damaged knees!

Thanks for the support though...