• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Sorry Mike but I don't read it that way. The answer to this question in the FAQ page HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT EACH DESTINATION ON THE IKON PASS AND IKON BASE PASS? shows Aspen / Altabird / Loon -Loaf & Sunday river with the remaining Canadian resorts under the bullet of * 5 days combined. The bullet above mentions 5 days EACH for other areas

I think it means something like 2 at Aspen 3 at AltaBird for the base pass.

Huge difference here. I'd be looking to use the pass at AltaBird and all the NE mountains at least.

JohnnyG's screenshot indicates that you get 5 or 7 EACH at the cluster of AltaBird, Boyne NE mountains, Banff mountains, etc. Meaning you can ski 5 days at Boyne and 5 days at AltaBird.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
It comes with five days at each — with holiday restrictions — of these resorts: Steamboat, California’s Mammoth, Deer Valley, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Vermont’s Stratton and Killington, Revelstoke and Sugarbush,

plus five total days at AspenSnowmass, AltaSnowbird, SkiBig3 and the New England mountains. The base pass has blackout dates between Christmas and New Year’s Eve and the holiday weekends in January and February.
Or 7 days if talking about the full Ikon pass.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look at the bullet points in the answer. (for the Ikon pass @ 899.00)

*7 days EACH at Jackson etc etc.
*7 days COMBINED at Aspen/Snowmass - Altabird etc etc.

That leads me to believe the COMBINED resorts are all 7 at one or a total of 7 days between them all.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/faq#Product

Go to this tab, it explains it the Mike is:

HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT EACH DESTINATION ON THE IKON PASS AND IKON BASE PASS?

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
Look at the bullet points in the answer. (for the Ikon pass @ 899.00)

*7 days EACH at Jackson etc etc.
*7 days COMBINED at Aspen/Snowmass - Altabird etc etc.

That leads me to believe the COMBINED resorts are all 7 at one or a total of 7 days between them all.

It's pretty clear from the wording and the chart breakdown that it's 7 days at each destination. This is similar to how the MC phrases the days for multi mountain resorts.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT EACH DESTINATION ON THE IKON PASS AND IKON BASE PASS?

Days vary between the Ikon Pass and the Ikon Base Pass.

Ikon Pass:

• Unlimited days at each: Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain Resort, Eldora Mountain Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort, June Mountain, Stratton, Snowshoe Mountain, Tremblant, and Blue Mountain
  • 7 days at each: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Big Sky Resort, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Killington Resort, Sugarbush Resort and Deer Valley Resort
  • 7 days combined
    • Aspen Snowmass: Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk
    • AltaSnowbird
    • Loon Mountain, Sugarloaf and Sunday River
    • SkiBig3: Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise and Mt. Norquay

Ikon Base Pass:

• Unlimited days at each: Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain Resort, and Eldora Mountain Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows (holiday restrictions), Big Bear Mountain Resort, June Mountain, Tremblant, Blue Mountain, Snowshoe Mountain
  • 5 days at each (holiday restrictions at all): Steamboat, Mammoth Mountain, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Big Sky Resort, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Stratton, Killington Resort, Sugarbush Resort and Deer Valley Resort
  • 5 days combined (holiday restrictions at all)
    • Aspen Snowmass
    • AltaSnowbird
    • Loon Mountain, Sugarloaf and Sunday River'

• SkiBig3: Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise and Mt. Norquay

HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT ASPEN SNOWMASS: ASPEN MOUNTAIN, SNOWMASS, ASPEN HIGHLANDS, AND BUTTERMILK?

The Ikon Pass allows 7 days COMBINED and the Ikon Base Pass allows 5 days COMBINED at Aspen Snowmass mountains: Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk. The Passes do not offer 7 or 5 days at each mountain.

HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT ALTASNOWBIRD?
The Ikon Pass allows 7 days COMBINED and the Ikon Base Pass allows 5 days COMBINED at AltaSnowbird. The Passes do not offer 7 or 5 days at each mountain.

HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT SKIBIG3: BANFF SUNSHINE, LAKE LOUISE AND MT. NORQUAY?
The Ikon Pass allows 7 days COMBINED and the Ikon Base Pass allows 5 days COMBINED at Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise and Mt. Norquay. The Passes do not offer 7 or 5 days at each mountain.

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
Sorry Mike but I don't read it that way. The answer to this question in the FAQ page HOW MANY DAYS DO I GET AT EACH DESTINATION ON THE IKON PASS AND IKON BASE PASS? shows Aspen / Altabird / Loon -Loaf & Sunday river with the remaining Canadian resorts under the bullet of * 5 days combined. The bullet above mentions 5 days EACH for other areas

I think it means something like 2 at Aspen 3 at AltaBird for the base pass.

How many days do I get at Aspen Snowmass: Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk?
The Ikon Pass allows 7 days COMBINED and the Ikon Base Pass allows 5 days COMBINED at Aspen Snowmass mountains: Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk. The Passes do not offer 7 or 5 days at each mountain.

How many days do I get at AltaSnowbird?
The Ikon Pass allows 7 days COMBINED and the Ikon Base Pass allows 5 days COMBINED at AltaSnowbird. The Passes do not offer 7 or 5 days at each mountain.

These two answers imply that you get 7 days at each of these two destinations. Nothing says your 7 days at Aspen will use up your 7 days at Altabird

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Nothing says your 7 days at Aspen will use up your 7 days at Altabird
No, it doesn't. But that's because a different question was asked.

You need to ask YOUR question. Though I think most people already got their answers and don't need to ask.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
That’s a deal for me. 7 hours to snowshoe and a trip or two out west. Kids under 12 Deal really helps me out. 2 days at snowshoe cover that for my kids and the West is bonus.

Being in Columbus, Snowshoe is only 5 hours. I've never been and this would make that a reason to go. How is lodging? What's your usual itinerary? Is a Friday night arrival, Sunday afternoon departure a reasonable trip? Curious how busy it gets on the weekends.

There is nothing worse to me than dealing with crowds. So doing a 3-day weekend trip like MLK or President's day doesn't seem like a great option.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
How many days do I get at Aspen Snowmass: Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk?

How many days do I get at AltaSnowbird?

These two answers imply that you get 7 days at each of these two destinations. Nothing says your 7 days at Aspen will use up your 7 days at Altabird
Yep. Reading it again here in print you are probably right.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I thought DV locals wanted high pass prices to keep the riff raff out?

It's pretty clear that they don't see Utah as somewhere where they directly need to compete with Epic as the Ikon resorts are sufficiently differentiated (& in any event 14 days will be enough for many casual skiers in SLC)

yes....park city vs AltaBird is a no brainer choice

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, as a Minnesota skier who takes a couple trips West each year, this base pass looks pretty amazing.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on March 6th would be details on the MCP pass. Anyone know when we'll hear about that?

The only tough part is figuring out vacation from work. With a pass like this, I feel like I'm gonna need to take a month straight off work next year.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Being in Columbus, Snowshoe is only 5 hours. I've never been and this would make that a reason to go. How is lodging? What's your usual itinerary? Is a Friday night arrival, Sunday afternoon departure a reasonable trip? Curious how busy it gets on the weekends.

There is nothing worse to me than dealing with crowds. So doing a 3-day weekend trip like MLK or President's day doesn't seem like a great option.

Snowshoe probably gets slammed on holidays but there are many ways to deal with it and not suffer the crowds. I typically get up at opening and ski the ballhooter and soaring eagle lifts. Mostly soaring eagle which has the black diamond runs etc. typically crowds during morning aren’t out yet even busier weekends. I normally grab lunch at Hoots on top of soaring eagle lift then see how crowded it is. If it’s slammed I’ll take the bus over to the Western Territory and ski there. Those are the longest runs and both black diamonds which keeps traffic down. They also have a high speed quad lift which helps. I’ll ski there until legs are done. The other option for avoiding crowds is hitting the Silver Creek basin area. They have typically very few crowds and a variety of terrain from green to black.

There is plenty of lodging and food options on mountain. If you want to eat in I’d pack it and bring it with you. Check vrbo and Airbnb for independent owners. Snowshoe also rents condos. I like the mountainside condos. Older building and cheaper rates. Easy access to the blue and black diamonds and also easy access to village and all the best restaurants.

I typically will leave on a Thursday after kids school and drive to the Days hotel off of 279. I stay there and then head to snowshoe about a 2 hour drive after breakfast. The extra distance for me at night is reason why. Lots of people arrive late Friday and ski Saturday and Sunday. I just prefer getting extra day in for a 7 hour drive. I typically ski Sunday and leave Monday.

Snowshoe is a great time. Mid February to mid March they get a lot of snow.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Hey, the $600 version includes 5 days at Jackson, 5 days at Aspen and 5 Days at Alta/Bird? SOLD!!

Oh, blackout dates. During the times when I would be using those days. Even Steamboat has blackout days.

That's how they get you.

And no CB. So, pony up $900? Or throw in the towel and switch to Loveland? Decisions, decisions.

The blackout dates have no impact on me. i would never choose to travel on Xmas week and I can work around 4 other days but I live right by one of the unrestricted resorts so I'm not the best example. I will say this is a much more compelling pass than the Epic due to much better mountains (on average...IMO) but that may change if enough skiers switch and the Epic hordes become Ikon hordes.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ok in thinking about this the $599 pass is the way to go for us. We both work at bromley so skiing is covered there and do an out west trip every year. Plus the blackout dates are fine because we're at Bromley every new years and presidents weekend and in Quebec to ski every MLK weekend. Between the 5 days at Loon, Killington, Stratton and Sugarbush we're set for the majority of the season. We'll get our usual spring passes for Killington so along with my mount snow pass the entire season is paid for in advance. Works for me.

:daffy:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
The blackout dates have no impact on me. i would never choose to travel on Xmas week and I can work around 4 other days but I live right by one of the unrestricted resorts so I'm not the best example. I will say this is a much more compelling pass than the Epic due to much better mountains (on average...IMO) but that may change if enough skiers switch and the Epic hordes become Ikon hordes.

Yeah my kid still being in school means my out of town trips are relegated to holidays. Plus I usually boogie to Aspen for President’s. Base would be ideal if not for blackouts.

I too worry about horde migration from epic to ikon. Winter Park is getting too crowded these days already for me.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, about those hordes- Thus far, going to the pass window/desk at each MCP resort has been a relatively minor inconvenience compared to the ready-to-go Epic Pass. However, if very many more Ikon Pass holders descend on the ticket desk en masse, it could become a major hassle. It would be great if the Ikon resorts could get direct-to-lift access figured out from the get-go. However, the MCP experience has me pessimistic on that score.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
At least in Deer Valley's case they sell out of lift tickets on very crowded days, not sure how many times a season it actually happens.

I imagine the Ikon Pass doesn't guarantee you a lift ticket. In other words, you have to get there in time and use your Ikon Pass to secure a Deer Valley lift ticket. If they're already sold out, I imagine the Ikon Pass won't help you.

So in this regard, the Ikon Pass shouldn't impact crowd size too much, at least at Deer Valley.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wonder if that ticket restriction will carry over. @Lorenzzo has indicated that the crowds already this year are much more than in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJS

Sponsor

Staff online