• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So much for not competing with the Epic pass - this is pretty much tanks on the lawn for Cali and Colo.

I would say yes, in those states, but not elsewhere, as has been pointed out.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Current line-up" certainly leaves room for changes.

Thanks, I'll keep my dream of A-basin on the Ikon Pass alive.

Or, is it a nightmare? A-basin switching teams would certainly be a tipping point in terms of front range crowds if the current Ikon lineup isn't already.

That would mean it (A-basin) would have to be dropped from the Epic pass however.
The rumor I overheard in the A-basin season pass office a while back was this is the last season of the agreement between Vail Resorts and the independently owned A-basin.

If that's the case and negotiations are ongoing, A-basin is in the catbird seat with the release if the Ikon details. Same with Loveland if they choose to play in this game.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was always going to be challenging to say the least to offer unlimited skiing to Deer Valley and Aspen when their passes are over $2,000. Not to mention the "push back" from their current customer base.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was always going to be challenging to say the least to offer unlimited skiing to Deer Valley and Aspen when their passes are over $2,000. Not to mention the "push back" from their current customer base.

Exactly

I must say I am thrilled that DV is not unlimited on the ikon pass

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hell even Calgarian weekend warriors might consider it their main pass - 14 days across Banff/Louise/Revy plus a road trip to Big Sky etc .

It's interesting, but I don't think it will work for me. :(

I need more than 7 days in within day-trip distance. I have skied Revelstoke on 2 day weekends, but it hurts!

Now if I had set plans to ski Aspen, Jackson, or Alta-snowbird it might pair nicely with a regular Louise pass.

I'm pretty jealous of the Colorado and California skiers.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Love the Sugarbush add back east, Makes it really compelling. Combining the Loon, SR, and SL days make it a tough sell for someone coming out of Boston. There currently are not enough days for me back east on this pass for it to be my main pass as I do not want to ski Stratton as my home mountain (too far for the crowds it has). What makes this pass is not the availability or the price, but the mountains it has. Getting days at Sugarbush, Boyne, K, Jackson, Revelstoke, AltaBird, and Aspen is previously unheard of. Minus Stowe, those are the mountains I love most back east and some incredible western destinations.

The base pass coupled with another cheaper pass to something like Ragged or even Peaks could work though. Still looking at under $1000 for some incredible western mountains and excellent long weekends back east.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have yet to do the detailed math, but so far it looks like this fits me to a "T". For the last 5 years I have bought a season pass at Winter Park (~400) combined with a MCP (~400) encompassing 10-12 days at WP, 4-6 days at Mammoth and 10-12 days at Alta/Bird. Off the top of my head, and based on that history, this saves me a couple of hundred bucks. And I also have 6 Jackson Hole days planned for next year, which is icing on the cake. I just need to decide between the full pass and the limited pass, which seems close to a wash, again based on my usage.

AJP

Booting up
Skier
will be interesting to see the reaction on MTN share price. I would think the IKON pass will take some market share in the multi mountain season pass market, and if vail responds with price reduction (i would think this is unlikely) it would put pressure on their margins.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So disappointed by the way Ikon is treating the East.

Happy for all you Westerners, but he East options are really souring.

Doesn't seem so surprising when you look at what places Alterra owns. It just doesn't own much in the East, so this was never going to be an unlimited pass to most places out there.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love the Sugarbush add back east, Makes it really compelling. Combining the Loon, SR, and SL days make it a tough sell for someone coming out of Boston. There currently are not enough days for me back east on this pass for it to be my main pass as I do not want to ski Stratton as my home mountain (too far for the crowds it has). What makes this pass is not the availability or the price, but the mountains it has. Getting days at Sugarbush, Boyne, K, Jackson, Revelstoke, AltaBird, and Aspen is previously unheard of. Minus Stowe, those are the mountains I love most back east and some incredible western destinations.

The base pass coupled with another cheaper pass to something like Ragged or even Peaks could work though. Still looking at under $1000 for some incredible western mountains and excellent long weekends back east.

As another Boston-based skier, I totally agree.

On one hand, this pass more than covers more incredible trips out West than I could possibly take! Two weeks between AltaBird and Deer Valley. Two weeks in Banff and Revelstoke. Two weeks between Jackson and Big Sky. As much time as I want at Mammoth and Squaw. As much time as I want between Steamboat, Winter and Copper and/or a week in Aspen. Absolutely incredible.

Back in the East, things look good but not great. Adding Sugarbush was a great move. 7 days at Sugarbush, 7 days at Killington, and 7 days between Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf is all great, but only Loon is a reasonable day trip from Boston. I will be sad to see Sunapee, Okemo, Pico, and others from the MAX Pass not be included in the Ikon Pass. I'm not that interested in Stratton, I'm happy to go there early season, but otherwise the drive isn't worth it given the terrain and crowds.

Despite some shortcomings in the East, I'm leaning towards getting the Ikon Pass. But ... there's a gap here that Vail might be smart to fill. Wachusett, Sunapee, Okemo, and some of the Peaks mountains are all good day trips from Boston. Adding one or more of those would let a Boston-area skier do both day trips plus weekend trips to Stowe and would cover all Western destination trips. Jay + Burke would make for some very enticing weekend trips. Someday, Vail will combine Smuggler's Notch and Stowe (nobody would pay more for Smugglers than Vail), upgrade the lifts at Smugglers and create a super-resort.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Wachusett, Sunapee, Okemo, and some of the Peaks mountains are all good day trips from Boston. Adding one or more of those would let a Boston-area skier do both day trips plus weekend trips to Stowe and would cover all Western destination trips. Jay + Burke would make for some very enticing weekend trips.

Any pass that can fill this void gets my money (Vail is really the only contender). MAX did that and it was awesome, but I'm fine spending money to combine passes for it, especially when the options available are the options the Ikon has.

I'm scared to think of the crowds at any of the day trip resorts that would be the result of an Epic pass addition.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Hey, the $600 version includes 5 days at Jackson, 5 days at Aspen and 5 Days at Alta/Bird? SOLD!!

Oh, blackout dates. During the times when I would be using those days. Even Steamboat has blackout days.

That's how they get you.

And no CB. So, pony up $900? Or throw in the towel and switch to Loveland? Decisions, decisions.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just trying to understand. why is Steamboat a "green" for Gathering and Winter Park an orange, but Copper nothing?

With 7 days, why is DV not a green?

My guess at areas that might get enough votes. I suppose a Summit-County-centered Gathering might include Copper, so maybe Orange. SImilarly, I like Deer Valley quite a bit, but it doesn't get much respect.

I've attached the Excel file in a zip -- go to town!

Attachments

• ikon_pass.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 15

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January