• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish there was a down payment option for IKON :(. Life happened, sick cat....huge vet bill..... Looks like it'll be epic local or Killington pass for us.

Life happens to lots of people. I wonder why Ikon doesn't have the down payment?

RMSP, from the same folks, used to have a down payment. Epic Pass has a down payment. Copper and Killington do too.

Does Alterra need the capital? Or, do they not want the customers who can't come up with the money in the spring? It seems like such a conscious decision since they used to have a down payment program.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
K
Life happens to lots of people. I wonder why Ikon doesn't have the down payment?

RMSP, from the same folks, used to have a down payment. Epic Pass has a down payment. Copper and Killington do too.

Does Alterra need the capital? Or, do they not want the customers who can't come up with the money in the spring? It seems like such a conscious decision since they used to have a down payment program.

Exactly life indeed happens to a lot of people. I've wondered this very thing. Why not a down payment option, do they need the capital....

Even mount snow has a down payment option.

Ah well

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
My biggest concern right now with Ikon is the absence of information on lodging discounts. MCP still has them advertised and some areas have already updated their 2018-19 discounts. Nothing specific on the Ikon site on that yet, they just say there will be discounts.

Of interest also is Vail Resorts is also showing ABasin on the pass for next season. I thought the agreement between the two was set to expire at the end of this season. Maybe the Mother's Day crowd can pick up some info when they are out.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMO season pass prices will rise 30%+ over the next 3-5 years ($899 to $1,199) while window prices hold steady. They will also become simpler - will be fewer versions.

Some of the current passes/pricing are not making much - if any - money for ski operators. As they increase their customer base, build-up loyalty and refine their strategy, things will surely change.

I am just gonna throw this out there...

For Alterra this is not about ski passes or the like. The runs get groomed and the lifties are doing their thing no matter how many people are out there. Ski passes are just a leader to get you to the mountain to spend money on lunch and après. The typical destination guest/family spend a lot on the lunches, après, and accommodation.

Not to be too harsh, but the best deal pass hunters posting are not the target of Alterra, they are not making much if anything from a skier who buys a $900 pass and skis 120 days while bagging their lunch and drinking in the parking lot. Alterra does not want to sell an inexpensive unlimited pass to DV, Alta/Bird, Big Sky, Jackson or Aspen and have little to no residual income from those visits. Low priced pass hunters are the low hanging fruit on the revenue tree.

I hope I have not hurt anyone’s feelings, but just bringing a bit of reality to the party here.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought my full Ikon pass the other day, there was a tent at the base of the Zephyr lift at WP. I asked, only half facetiously if they were offering a discount at the tent. The answer was no, but they did have IKON PASS hats to hand out.

Later that day I did a quick calculation- based on what plans I've already made for next year, I will have a total of at least 30 days at Mammoth, WP, JH, DV and AltaBird. (DV is something of a wild card) A net cost of $30/day is truly awesome! Planned days exceeding the allotted 7 at AltaBird will bring up the overall average, but I'll still come out way ahead of previous years.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Vail Email says they just took my $49 down payment for next season. As a frugal financial now retired peon, am glad I live live just a few hours from Tahoe where I am content to simply ski a few great resorts with awesome terrain. Of note this season Epic did allow me to change the type of pass in August without penalty before collecting the rest so be aware of that option. That said, if a lot of money comes my way that in my situation is quite possible, I just might join the rest of you haha having fun playing the game of planning complex future skiing dreams.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Of interest also is Vail Resorts is also showing ABasin on the pass for next season. I thought the agreement between the two was set to expire at the end of this season. Maybe the Mother's Day crowd can pick up some info when they are out.

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2018/02/ikon-pass.html

From Al's blog posted Thursday, February 22, 2018

Ikon Pass

Today the details of the Ikon and the Ikon Base Passes were released. They are certainly two exciting and intriguing opportunities. A number of you have reached out to me directly about theses products. Specifically, many of you have asked if we would be joining the Ikon Pass family. The answer is no, we are committed to our Vail Resorts relationship through the 2018-19 ski season.

Posted by Alan Henceroth - COO at 8:59 PM

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We're going to do Mount Snow and the Epic local pass, that along with our bromely passes cause we work there. IKON will have to wait until next year.
To paraphrase Warren Miller, "So you will only be one year older when you get it? "

Reactions: RJS

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
To paraphrase Warren Miller, "So you will only be one year older when you get it? "

Actually, surfsnowgirl and her SO will be one year older when they ski the Mount Snow, Epic Local. and Bromely Pass and two years older when they ski with the Ikon Pass. I am not sure if Warren Miller would approve.:duck:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're going to do Mount Snow and the Epic local pass, that along with our bromely passes cause we work there. IKON will have to wait until next year.

I actually love the idea of occasionally rotating passes. I may do something like 2 years Ikon, 1 year Epic, and repeat. As incredible as the Ikon destinations are, there are some equally fabulous places on the Epic Pass. The new additions of Telluride, Crested Butte, and Kicking Horse/Fernie were all big surprises for me, and all places I would love to go to (or in the case of Kicking Horse, go back to) someday.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Having initially thought the Ikon would be a no brainer I'm re-evaluating. I basically have 2 windows to ski in N America - Xmas time and late Feb. Having got badly burnt by conditions this year in the former I'm thinking having a strong Canadian line up is important as a hedge and Epic now wins out there. Plus Ikon hasn't offered up any goodies in Europe which is worthwhile to me. That said the Copper-Aspen- Altabird-JH combo is a compelling couple of weeks skiing. Will have to do some serious cogitation around blackouts etc.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I actually love the idea of occasionally rotating passes. I may do something like 2 years Ikon, 1 year Epic, and repeat. As incredible as the Ikon destinations are, there are some equally fabulous places on the Epic Pass. The new additions of Telluride, Crested Butte, and Kicking Horse/Fernie were all big surprises for me, and all places I would love to go to (or in the case of Kicking Horse, go back to) someday.

I like the rotating pass idea too. I was initially very excited about IKON but really am warming up to the epic pass. I'd be more than content with Stowe, Okemo and Sunapee with our other passes (bromley and snow) and when we go out west... BONUS....... I think we may not do a trip with the ski club next season and make our own trip and go to an epic destination. Next season maybe we'll renew epic, maybe we'll do IKON, maybe we'll do neither and add on Killington. I like having options and because who knows what next year will bring by way of pass enhancements, etc. Exciting stuff and I'm grateful to have choices.

Reactions: RJS

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought my full Ikon pass the other day, there was a tent at the base of the Zephyr lift at WP. I asked, only half facetiously if they were offering a discount at the tent. The answer was no, but they did have IKON PASS hats to hand out.

Later that day I did a quick calculation- based on what plans I've already made for next year, I will have a total of at least 30 days at Mammoth, WP, JH, DV and AltaBird. (DV is something of a wild card) A net cost of $30/day is truly awesome! Planned days exceeding the allotted 7 at AltaBird will bring up the overall average, but I'll still come out way ahead of previous years.

Nice!

Sponsor