• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Idiosyncratic Forum-reading Habits

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have my own little pet habits when I read the board. They're not all rational. Maybe they're mostly irrational. Who cares? We do this for fun. For example, if a new thread - or one I just haven't noticed - pops up and it has seventeen posts, I'll hop right on and check it out. But if it has 170 posts, I'll probably skip it - too much work to get up to speed.

You?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
If a new post interests me and there are not many posts, I'll read them. If there are a lot or the first few don't interest, I'll skip to the end and post anyway.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have my own little pet habits when I read the board. They're not all rational. Maybe they're mostly irrational. Who cares? We do this for fun. For example, if a new thread - or one I just haven't noticed - pops up and it has seventeen posts, I'll hop right on and check it out. But if it has 170 posts, I'll probably skip it - too much work to get up to speed.

You?

FUN? This isn't supposed to be fun! This is serious business here! There are potentially wrong people on the interwebz who need to be hunted down and destroyed!

:duck:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I don't like coming in late to threads, so if it's a long thread I'll probably skip it as I don't want to be that person saying the same thing twenty other people have said already. After three or four pages, it's doubtful I'll have any new insights to add.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I don't like coming in late to threads, so if it's a long thread I'll probably skip it as I don't want to be that person saying the same thing twenty other people have said already. After three or four pages, it's doubtful I'll have any new insights to add.

Exactly...it's not that I don't care or have something to say, but it's been done...

Also there are a lot of threads that I'm just not interested in. So I start with "new posts" and read through the entries. Click on ones that I've responded to or are new etc. Then click on "mark forums read".

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I used to start with New Posts. Then I started auto-subscribing to threads in which I've posted. Now I go to Watched Threads first. If I run out of those, I check out New Posts.

I only go to a specific forum to create a new thread.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
A thread that has over 100 post is also likely to have drifted far away from the original post. In fact, I read the last page to see where it’s at before reading the first page. Even if I read it, I know I won’t post in it.

I do miss reading (but not adding my post) long running threads long after the thread had gone quiet. Something I did back when epicski was up. It’s like binge watching a reality tv show knowing I won’t be left hanging awaiting for the final outcome. I get to enjoy the drama, then skip to the end when I feel like it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A thread that has over 100 post is also likely to have drifted far away from the original post. In fact, I read the last page to see where it’s at before reading the first page. Even if I read it, I know I won’t post in it.

I do miss reading (but not adding my post) long running threads long after the thread had gone quiet. Something I did back when epicski was up. It’s like binge watching a reality tv show knowing I won’t be left hanging awaiting for the final outcome. I get to enjoy the drama, then skip to the end when I feel like it.

Well, you're never going to hit a post to days ratio of 9 with that attitude!

ogwink

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Well, you're never going to hit a post to days ratio of 9 with that attitude!
ogwink
I haven't even opened that thread yet. It's slated for later "binge reading". ogwink

I was tempted to post that I'm a lurker and therefore would have a low ratio. But then I saw I've made 500+ posts. I don't think I've got more than 20 independent ideas. How I got to post 500 post? Lots of fluff, I'm afraid.