• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Before that, Salomon invented a new way to size boots, that didn't go over well either but that and the "Powerr Rating of skis, when you thought about it, really made sense. The boot sizing concentrated on the back half of the foot and the volume of the ankle. The PR of skis, I skied a PR8, the 1S Giant Slalom (pictured ) was about a 212, the 2S Round Turn Slalom was a 205, the 3S J-turn SL was about 202. The Mogul skis in a PR8 were basically the 2S and 3S, one size down. So the Force 3S PR8 was a Equipe 3S PR7.

Yup, that's not confusing at all :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I remember.....more or less in order.
Bear trap bindings lace-up leather boots and screw on metal edges.
Cable bindings
Leather boots with buckles and plastic sides.
(the above being due to parents and myself not being able to afford the most modern equipment)
Plastic ski boots and skis with permanent metal edges.
Sands school bus company was the last one to cancel and usually brought us to school that was closed and then brought us straight home.
Getting wise and driving one of my parents cars (Hey! they couldn't be expected to drive to work in that weather!) an hour or two to the local hill ( http://www.calabogie.com/mountain.html) which was then a sloped skating rink with rocks and no snow making.
The Crazy Canucks becoming the first non-Europeans to win the FIS DH (my thanks to Fischer Skis and whoever designed that suit).
Advances in P-tex base material for more speed!
Super G skis coming onto the scene for more stability at speed while still being able to make "both short and long turns".
Deciding GS skis worked better in deep snow than my SGs.
Sking what is now marked "permanently closed terrain" and being a general problem for Ski Patrol.:nono:
Becoming a ski patroller :eek:

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You can tell it is warm in the North East because it is Saturday morning between 9:00 and 10:00 AM and we are on our computers not the mountain. Don't tell me about your on a smart phone on the mountain when you are still in your PJ's:eek:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You can tell it is warm in the North East because it is Saturday morning between 9:00 and 10:00 AM and we are on our computers not the mountain. Don't tell me about your on a smart phone on the mountain when you are still in your PJ's:eek:

Heh, it's cold enough here - I'm not interested in skiing and she's off replacing the deered VW.

Uncle-A

Skier
Heh, it's cold enough here - I'm not interested in skiing and she's off replacing the deered VW.
With 3,550 posts on a ski forum don't tell me you are not interested in skiingogsmile sorry to hear about the VW.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
With 3,550 posts on a ski forum don't tell me you are not interested in skiingogsmile sorry to hear about the VW.

It's actually true - I've mostly gotten rid of the gear except for 3-4 experiment/projects and the nordic stuff. Today's plan is rollerski-snooze-trimtrees-swim-sauna.

The VW was very sad, especially with the black tail fur that sort of looked like an eyelash. :(

Uncle-A

Skier
I had those skis for sure & now I remember when skis had a groove in the base. How else were you supposed to go straight!?!
I don't remember if my 710's had a groove but I do know that my 610's did not have a groove. I think they are the first ski I had that did not have one.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

Well, I never ski on the weekends anyway...

I'm still two weeks out :P

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I remember -

J-bars.
Stapling a ticket that was stamped with the date onto your sweater, no wicket.
Green snow at Kelly's Irish Alps.
The 7-up lift.
The Stowe single.
How to slip the rope when someone fell in front of you.
Silver wax.
Hexcel skis.
Rosemount boots.
The Glades Poma.
Spademan bindings.
Tucker Sno-cats.
Roffe jackets.
Boot trees.
Hogback.

And my favorite "I remember" is

It was a busy Saturday morning at my local mole hill. The line was the usual 20-30 minutes for the chair. There were quite a few obnoxious pre-tens and teens pushing through the line, one would advance and the other would then "catch up to my friend", pushing, nudging, stepping on skis, sneering. After lunch, two older looking guys (meaning in their 20s) pushed through the line, even more aggressively. Most had metal skis by then, but there were a few wooden pairs still out there, and these two were on wood skis as well. "S'cuse me", very loud, "S'cuse me", push push push, they rammed their way past everyone. Everyone by now had a full dose of these guys. When they got to the front of the line, the liftie stopped the lift and walked into the shack. He came back out with an ax, and Whack, whack, whack, whack, chopped off the tips of the two line cutter's skis. "There! And that's for anyone else that cuts in line!", bellowed the liftie. The entire lift line fell silent. There was no more line cutting that day.

Yes, it was set-up. But the message was clear. And funny.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Not that one, it was a big clamp about 4" long solid metal. It attached to a belt that you wore.
Like this?

sm_79-1_tow_rope_gripper.jpg

Invented and patented by Bousquet in Massachusetts in 1941.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
212cm for a PR 8?? What's a 9?
And...did they go to 11?

Well the system makes sense- adjusting sizes for activity. But, if that's the point of it, they didn't educate people. But really, no one paid attention because they introduced some cockamammy system first. So that's all we heard. Why should we learn this new thing? What's wrong with the centimeter??

The boots made sense too but similar issue.
PR8 was the largest. the 90001S (that is pictured) was a 212, when the went to the next generation, the 9100, the 1S actually dropped to a 208...it was thier first GS ski with a tip over 90mm. I had a pair of these with 997E Suspension bindings.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
long road trips in cars smaller than skis. Skis sticking out open windows for hundreds of kilometers,
and being too cheap to buy a proper ski rack once you calculated how many days lift tickets that would equal.

James

Out There
Instructor
PR8 was the largest. the 90001S (that is pictured) was a 212, when the went to the next generation, the 9100, the 1S actually dropped to a 208...it was thier first GS ski with a tip over 90mm. I had a pair of these with 997E Suspension bindings.

What year was that?
I looked it up, Swatch internet time, or Beat time, was announced in 1998.
Time is one number, no time zones, and uses the @ symbol. That was around the time the imac was released and sold like crazy. No one took to internet time.

From wikipedia:
--------------
Instead of hours and minutes, the mean solar day is divided into 1000 parts called ".beats". Each .beat is equal to one decimal minute in the French Revolutionary decimal time system and lasts 1 minute and 26.4 seconds (86.4 seconds) in standard time. Times are notated as a 3-digit number out of 1000 after midnight. So, @248 would indicate a time 248 .beats after midnight representing 248/1000 of a day, just over 5 hours and 57 minutes.

There are no time zones in Swatch Internet Time; instead, the new time scale of Biel Meantime (BMT) is used, based on Swatch's headquarters in Biel, Switzerland and equivalent to Central European Time, West Africa Time, and UTC+01. Unlike civil time in Switzerland and many other countries, Swatch Internet Time does not observe daylight saving time.
-----------

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
had the 3s Super Force in a PR7 , with the Soly boots and bindings a pretty decent bump set up.
remember taking a long time trying to decide was I a pr7 or pr8.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January