• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember when we used to split lift tickets at Stowe. One person got the front with the date stamp, the other got the back which had the color of the day. Front person paid more. You stuck it on your wicket which already had other tickets on it. Then VT upped the penalty for such things and it became too expensive a risk.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember...

wearing a cassette tape deck designed for a car in a padded harness with home stereo headphones to listen to music....and it was state of the art. It died on Chair 6 at Kirkwood and I couldn't afford to get it repaired or replaced.

when there were no snowboards on the hill.

when there were no cell phones on the hill.

when I had one pair of skis and never even considered getting a second pair.

when Mammoth didn't cut the top of the Cornice Run, before there was a Chair 23 and you had to jump in. I still think it was the best lift served run I've ever been on.

breaking through crust at far skiers left at the very top of Dave's Run, getting double ejected, almost free falling for hundreds of yards, looking back and seeing my skis looking as though they'd been shot into the hill with a bow and getting yelled at because no-one ever goes that close to the rocks and debris. After that, for the first time I went up from the recommended settings. That was then, these days there are probably bumps in there.

lift lines were fine if there were stretch pants in front of you.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember when.... at 5'8" and 140lbs, I skied a 204 cm "slalom" ski. ;)

Camelback...
  • You had to turn left or right at the bottom of Margies Delite
  • Rocket...most of the mountain was not open at night
  • The Hump Was a gladed trail
  • The Asp had turns in it
  • Sullivan Lift has a pole eating mid station.
  • There were "All night skis"
  • Before the Bailey and Stevenson lift were installed

@Goose @Sibhusky @Living Proof

So funny you mentioned the all night ski....I was going to bring them up in one of the other threads.....

As an 80’s teen season pass holder at Shawnee, the all night ski nights were the highlight of the winter!......the debauchery...the hookups.....it was a NEPA teenagers Utopia. Thinking back how great they were.....

There is no way in heck that ski areas would ever do them in present day....No way...nightmare.

So funny you mentioned them at Camelback....:roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
So funny you mentioned the all night ski....I was going to bring them up in one of the other threads.....
I'm pretty sure Powder Ridge in CT when they re opened several years ago had some sat night hours that went till 2 or 3 am. That always seemed insane. Almost nothing good could happen at those hours, let's face it. Maybe a special event. I see they're back to 10 pm.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm pretty sure Powder Ridge in CT when they re opened several years ago had some sat night hours that went till 2 or 3 am. That always seemed insane. Almost nothing good could happen at those hours, let's face it. Maybe a special event. I see they're back to 10 pm.

Lol. Yes. At least back in the 70's when I was still in my salad days. Powder Ridge is about an hour from me. Senior year of High School drinking age was 18 and we would go up there Friday or Saturday night. Bar with live bands at the base of the slope. We would drink a lot and every once in a while go out and race straight down the slope. Nothing steeper there than an easy green; we were much more likely to get hurt driving home at 3AM with a good buzz on.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember...

when Mammoth didn't cut the top of the Cornice Run, before there was a Chair 23 and you had to jump in. I still think it was the best lift served run I've ever been on.

breaking through crust at far skiers left at the very top of Dave's Run, getting double ejected, almost free falling for hundreds of yards, looking back and seeing my skis looking as though they'd been shot into the hill with a bow and getting yelled at because no-one ever goes that close to the rocks and debris. After that, for the first time I went up from the recommended settings. That was then, these days there are probably bumps in there.

lift lines were fine if there were stretch pants in front of you.

I spent a half season there in '82. Only way to the top was the gondola and it never got bumped up. Farther down the ridge a race coach slammed into some rocks on the edge of Paranoid flats and did not survive it. People skied really fast there.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
All of the lifts at Mt. Bachelor were a colors. Blue, Green, Black, Orange, Yellow, Red in that order left to right.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember:
My mothers look of dismay at the palms of my wool mitts (that she had knit) after a day at the rope tow. She wasn't a skier , and didn't understand.

Leather lace up boots. They were always 2nd or 3rd (4th) hand by the time I got them, (I had more than 1 pair ) so they were always well broken in. Damn , were they cold!

Wooden Skis with screw on edges and cable bindings. Performance AND Safety!!

Skiing with my dad at Blue Mountain, when the lift ticket was $4.00, and trying to get in as many runs as possible. My dad always got me to practice my math by figuring out what the average cost per run was. ( $0.25 or less was the goal. Harder than it sounds in the days of slow lifts and big line ups)

When I got my first real skis and buckle boots . Fischer Glas and Henke boots . Both used of course.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I remember when my dad put these on me, took me up the chairlift and said "Figure it out!"

50683ccc09e6f80c2d0cdefc7516141c.jpg

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Lace up boots at Mt. Brighton Mi.

Being a scared 12 year old having to ski “The Wall” at Pine Knob Mi with linked carved turns to earn my black diamond patch, which I earned and was enormously proud of then.

Being 5-5 or 5-6 and maybe 120 Pounds on 190cm race skis and having to “stand on the outside ski” with all my might by lifting the inside ski to get it to arc on the nearly solid ice ruts of what passed for a race course at night while the snow machines blew snow across the hill during practice and meets. No helmets or speed suits or much in the way of protection but we did have stretch pants that tucked inside your boot with bright colored stripes on the side.

Skiing deep powder in NM & Colo in slalom skis and not thinking twice about it. Float was not in our vocabulary lol.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I remember when I used:

Lace up boots
Wooden Skis with screw on edges
Bear Trap Bindings
Rope tows
J Bars
T Bars
A ski area called Great Gorge in NJ with a trial called Zero G.
When chair lifts were lettered A, B, C, etc. and some had mid station exists.
Mom made ski sweaters.
Stretch pants for men that went into your boots.

Sponsor

Staff online