• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I need to vent

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My season is cursed. Due to family and bad weather I've only got 3 days in. I had to cancel my trip to the Gathering due to work and now I'm recovering from a concussion I got Saturday night at Sugarbush. My son and I were leaving Rumbles Kitchen at the base of Lincoln peak. One second I'm carefully walking across the parking lot, the next my head is smashing into the ice.

I MIGHT be able to ski next weekend but probably shouldn't chance it so soon after the concussion. Anyway, I had to vent. Now I get to go back to staring at the ceiling and avoiding screens so my brain can rest.

/vent

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow that sucks. We tentatively negotiated a few parking lots in the Mad River Valley area Saturday evening and all were extremely treacherous with water on top of ice. Doesn't get much, or any, slicker.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My season is cursed. Due to family and bad weather I've only got 3 days in. I had to cancel my trip to the Gathering due to work and now I'm recovering from a concussion I got Saturday night at Sugarbush. My son and I were leaving Rumbles Kitchen at the base of Lincoln peak. One second I'm carefully walking across the parking lot, the next my head is smashing into the ice.

I MIGHT be able to ski next weekend but probably shouldn't chance it so soon after the concussion. Anyway, I had to vent. Now I get to go back to staring at the ceiling and avoiding screens so my brain can rest.

/vent

That suxs. Rest up and hope you feel better soon.

I had a bad concussion from a bike accident 6 years ago. I recovered pretty quickly. I was cleared to ski but was advised to always use a helmet obviously which I had not up to that point.

Did you slip while walking with your ski boots?

I sorta solved that problem recently (GripWalk, WTR, or AT Boot) :D

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm so sorry. I hear ya on the parking lot ice rink. Last weekend I was waking to my Jeep after a day on the mountain and almost killed myself. Parking lot was glistening with the lights reflecting off the ice. A couple years ago near Mont Orford in the eastern townships of quebec, one of the gals on our trip with the ski club broke her wrist in the deadly ice rink otherwise known as the parking lot.

Hang in there, lots of season left, you'll get out there.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry to hear!
Just so I confirm my bias, were people walking in ski boots in the lots?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was so super slippery it was hard to keep your footing in any shoes short of crampons or yak tracks.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The most exciting part of my Tuesday night race league was walking from the race shack where we get changed) to the crushed ice where the groomers had been.

Between the two was a hockey rink of polished ice. Trying to navigate that in ski boots was comical.

Hope you recover quickly!

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
2nd worst fall I ever took while skiing was in Donner Ski Ranch parking lot.

Have Cat Traks on my boots and not only does it save the bottom of your boots but saves my head or hip which ever usually hits the ice lst.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Isn't that how it goes. A high level skier and goes down in the plot. That ain't right. Run it cool for awhile. Good luck.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bummer, but who knows what it might have saved you from (said a person that this did not happen to).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That stinks. I hope the rest of the year turns around for you.

IIRC I posted in the risk/reward thread that walking in ski boots was more dangerous than skiing. ;)

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. To answer the question, no I wasn't in ski boots. This happened around 7:30 Saturday night. We had returned to the base area to have dinner at Rumbles and I was in street shoes.

Crank nailed it; solid ice with water on top from the rain earlier.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Heal fast, I feel your pain (at least my left ankle does)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
time for another helmet thread??!!! :huh:

Heal quick, dont rush back too soon. There is a reason we insist athletes are cleared by a doctor before they come back after a concussion....and what we have seen is that it usually takes quite a bit longer than initially predicted..

Sponsor

Staff online