• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of going to your first bump lesson, I'm planning on going to a Bob's Bump Jamboree some time this year, probably Feb. 25th. This will be my first bump lesson.

If any other Pugs want to join, that might be neat.
I’ve done that a few years ago. It’s a fun time. We ended up with about 5 people in our group, and of course there is the intro time and the setting up groups time, so the amount of comments on your skiing that you get is ok, but not great.

The better option, and not so terribly much more expensive if you can get another person or even two to join you, is just booking a private lesson.

No Pain No Jane!

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I’ve done that a few years ago. It’s a fun time. We ended up with about 5 people in our group, and of course there is the intro time and the setting up groups time, so the amount of comments on your skiing that you get is ok, but not great.

The better option, and not so terribly much more expensive if you can get another person or even two to join you, is just booking a private lesson.

No Pain No Jane!

I appreciate the intel and the suggestion, but..

Bob's Bump Jamboree = $109
Private Lesson = $749

I'm afraid on my budget, that is actually terribly much more expensive, even split 3 ways. I don't really know anyone near my level (they're all way better than me) that I could get to join the private anyway. That's one more reason to go to the Jamboree for me, maybe I could meet them there. :crossfingers:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciate the intel and the suggestion, but..

Bob's Bump Jamboree = $109
Private Lesson = $749

I'm afraid on my budget, that is actually terribly much more expensive, even split 3 ways. I don't really know anyone near my level (they're all way better than me) that I could get to join the private anyway. That's one more reason to go to the Jamboree for me, maybe I could meet them there. :crossfingers:

Sorry, Chris, in my mind I had ~$650 for a private lesson, rose colored glasses of history, haha.

Yes, for sure, at that rate, you can do a lot of the bump clinics for the price of one private lesson, even if you could find someone to share.
And, yes, you should meet some people there, when I did it, the majority were Denver area, then a group from the region, and only a few of us from out state.
I did it the Friday after Presidents’ Day, so it was busy. Good part of that is that the groups are very closely matched, since they could find enough people of each level.

And the nice thing is, they set this up with their most experienced instructors, not the 18year old who is trying this for the first time. Also makes it more fun to talk to the instructors, since they will be a similar age as you.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I thought I should update this. Over a year later. I still believe the points I made in the original post represent the gist of it. Taking a bumps lesson relatively early, opened the mountain in an incredible way for me.

But here is something I just realized, that I have been doing lately, and is another BIG advantage of learning bumps. Staying safe. I know @KingGrump has been saying this forever. But bump runs and natural snow are much safer, despite what many (most) people think, simply because the idiots who bomb down groomed runs irresponsibly, are unable to ski natural snow, or un-groomed runs. My biggest fear when skiing, is being taken out by some lunatic. So, when I am at a place that gets crowded, I am definitely going to be in open bowls or bump runs, in relative solitude. The contrast between the 'zoo' in the groomed runs and the beauty of an empty bowl of natural snow all for myself is just stunning.

So. Back to you, if you are starting to ski, please get some instruction, and ask your instructor to take you to the bumps as soon as she thinks you are ready. You'll be happy of your decision, and feel like buying me a beer. I'll take that, sure.

:yeah:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But here is something I just realized, that I have been doing lately, and is another BIG advantage of learning bumps. Staying safe. I know @KingGrump has been saying this forever. But bump runs and natural snow are much safer, despite what many (most) people think, simply because the idiots who bomb down groomed runs irresponsibly, are unable to ski natural snow, or un-groomed runs. My biggest fear when skiing, is being taken out by some lunatic. So, when I am at a place that gets crowded, I am definitely going to be in open bowls or bump runs, in relative solitude. The contrast between the 'zoo' in the groomed runs and the beauty of an empty bowl of natural snow all for myself is just stunning.
Yes! Additionally, you are going way slower in the bumps than on a cruiser. If you make a mistake you're a lot less likely to get really messed up or dead if you hit something.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
........ opened the mountain in an incredible way for me.......

Well at least in the east, more trails will open by making a progression toward skiing a narrow corridor. Glades and entrances with a narrow gap.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, when I am at a place that gets crowded, I am definitely going to be in open bowls or bump runs

Totally agree with this. Unfortunately here in the east, depending on conditions and time of year, this simply is often not possible. Forgetting about the open bowls ( :roflmao: ) you need a certain amount of base for bumps to exist and/or be tolerated by mountain ops.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Totally agree with this. Unfortunately here in the east, depending on conditions and time of year, this simply is often not possible. Forgetting about the open bowls ( :roflmao: ) you need a certain amount of base for bumps to exist and/or be tolerated by mountain ops.

There are many mountains in New England that seem to groom out everything every night... The Northern Vermont division of Vail has been flattening some pitches that were previously left to bump up as well... And they've been leveling the gentle pitch bumps which were perfect for getting your feet wet. :nono:

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
There are many mountains in New England that seem to groom out everything every night... The Northern Vermont division of Vail has been flattening some pitches that were previously left to bump up as well... And they've been leveling the gentle pitch bumps which were perfect for getting your feet wet. :nono:

Argh. I will second :nono::nono:.
Where are people supposed to learn?

Yes - I can see the marketing side of it. You offer the occasional visitor a chance to slide down on something easy. I get that. And groomers ARE fun, to be sure. But they will get bumped up eventually. Bumps WILL find you for sure, sooner or later. Places to learn how to deal them are really important, even for those occasional skiers' enjoyment.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Loon did something that struck me as silly in the moment, but on reflection is a good idea. They flagged bump pitches. Not the full-on, top-to-bottom bump runs, but the ones that appear on one side of a trail, and maybe only for part of the run.

For example, there was a short pitch (like 20 bumps) on one side of a blue run, just above the flats around the lifts. One of the North Peak black runs was smooth and icy most of the way, but had a bump pitch that started about 1/3 of the way down after a cattrack. In both cases there was a green "BUMPS" panel sign, of the type usually used for "SLOW" signs.

Helps those of us who want to find them, and more importantly, minimizes complaints from people who get caught unawares.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Loon did something that struck me as silly in the moment, but on reflection is a good idea. They flagged bump pitches. Not the full-on, top-to-bottom bump runs, but the ones that appear on one side of a trail, and maybe only for part of the run.

For example, there was a short pitch (like 20 bumps) on one side of a blue run, just above the flats around the lifts. One of the North Peak black runs was smooth and icy most of the way, but had a bump pitch that started about 1/3 of the way down after a cattrack. In both cases there was a green "BUMPS" panel sign, of the type usually used for "SLOW" signs.

Helps those of us who want to find them, and more importantly, minimizes complaints from people who get caught unawares.

Nothing like making GS turns down a groomer and suddenly realizing you're GS-ing into a bump field. I've done that once or twice...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing like making GS turns down a groomer and suddenly realizing you're GS-ing into a bump field. I've done that once or twice...
Eh, sorry. You aren't the demographic they are warning. You aren't allowed to read them.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Another benefit of making yourself friends with bumps, and 3D snow in general ... right there! :) I used to freak out, and mostly crash when accidentally getting off the groomed surface. Now it's not ideal, but I can typically deal with it.

Sponsor

Staff online