• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I got older...

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
As long as you are not going to hurt the family financially. Go for it, its your bucket, fill it with what you want to.

I am guessing the 50 line was crossed. I took a similar attitude. There are some things that I cannot do due to wear and tear along with age related issues that I wanted to as a young person. So Around 50 (48 IIRC) I looked at my life, my situation, my fathers longevity and health and thought that I have 15 pretty good years to do stuff I WANT to do at a decent level. I figure that I was seriously working toward this for 30 years, and while I still need to be responsible, there are only so many years left and I have a lot of playing to catch up on.

Interesting perspective, but I try to maintain a do not look back and wish I would have perspective. Now living in Colorado, there are runs that I probably will not do that I might have done 20 years ago. Who knows! My goal is to enjoy ski season and take it as it comes. For example, Whistler and Park City as well as Tahoe are all on my pass and we would like to hit at least one of those areas/places. Will we? Not sure, since we hoped to do that last year. The winter got away from us but we had a blast!

Love being on the mountain - that's what matters most.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
General reply (from someone biased against hopping-around trips): anytime you do single-day cat, heli or guided backcountry you will lose about an hour and a half at the start of the day to do beacon training*. Given cost and time factors (eg, how much skiing you get) this argues in favor of choosing a single, multi-day option where possible. Furthermore, any guide's level of caution is going to be much higher on day one -- there will be some feeling out for the strength of the group, how well people listen, all that. This affects quality of skiing too. If you're only there for one day, you have no change to build that rapport with a guide.
All of this is absolutely true, but remember first that the OP is limited to one week in total for both resort and backcountry skiing.
I'm East Coast skier. Some Vermont, mostly Catskills.
Unless that means a lot of Vermont tree skiing in powder, places like Mustang and White Grizzly are not appropriate for a first time western backcountry trip. By reputation and location I second the recommendation of K3 for daytrip cat skiing. And DanoT is right about Revelstoke. Don't do the cat skiing there, though you might consider a heli day with Selkirk-Tangiers. Day heliskiing at RK (Panorama) or Purcell (Golden, near Kicking Horse) are other good options. Unless you have that extensive Vermont tree experience, the powder will probably be easier for you above tree line at one of those heli operators than at a cat skiing operation which is mostly in the trees. Chatter Creek (flies out of Golden for 3 or 4 days) is the lodge cat operation that has the most skiing above tree line.
If you're going to tour, especially guided, go to Rogers pass.
This is sound advice also, but I question whether a full day of earned turns is a good idea on a trip like this. You don't want to be tired when you're skiing demanding terrain at Kicking Horse and Lake Louise or powder when cat/heli skiing. I've been going up there for 1-2+ weeks most seasons since 1997, typically with 3-4 days of cat/heli skiing included. I find it's more than demanding enough physically and I have not been tempted to do any touring on those trips. If the OP has a very high level of fitness and will not get tired from skiing different terrain and snow than he is used to on his home turf, then I say go for it. But for the vast majority of people doing something like this as a first time or bucket list trip, I would say be cautious, pace yourself and don't do something exhausting early in the trip that will degrade the rest of it.

My first trip into Calgary in 1999 was what I call the "Calgary Loop" trip, dividing the time between Banff/Lake Louise and Fernie/Castle. I still prefer the latter two areas overall to Revelstoke/Kicking Horse. That 1999 trip also included a heli day at RK, as Panorama is about halfway between Fernie and Banff Lake Louise off Hwy 93. Castle also has some cat skiing, though it's so empty midweek that there's often enough soft snow inbounds to keep me busy. I recommend the Calgary Loop trip, fairly similar amount of total driving as a round trip from Calgary to Revelstoke. I have revisited Fernie/Castle in 5 seasons since 1999 and plan to again in 2018.

Last edited:

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Interesting perspective, but I try to maintain a do not look back and wish I would have perspective. Now living in Colorado, there are runs that I probably will not do that I might have done 20 years ago. Who knows! My goal is to enjoy ski season and take it as it comes. For example, Whistler and Park City as well as Tahoe are all on my pass and we would like to hit at least one of those areas/places. Will we? Not sure, since we hoped to do that last year. The winter got away from us but we had a blast!

Love being on the mountain - that's what matters most.
Well, skiing isnt every part of life and age will take some things away. Its nice to say "I will do it all in my youth." but reality sets in unless your dad is a multi billionaire and doesnt require you to do anything. The rest of us have to choose what we will be able to do in the given time frame with the tools and materials at hand. The trick is to get to a point where you can do enough of what you want to before you cant. You statement on runs that you just are not going to do in the point. Knees fail, eyes fail, funds are used on kids instead of fun. (rotten kids)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I refuse to get older!
I don't know what your experience with deep snow is, but despite your desire to limit your trip to a week, unless you add an initial approx. three days at a ordinary western resort with access to deep snow (the kind where you will be swimming in it up to your armpits if you get separated from your skis), your time at the exceptional places will be wasted. Even with skills, it takes some time to get used to deep snow. Maybe less critical now with modern skis, but it's still highly advised.

Sponsor

Staff online