• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hwy 89 - 3 Lane System

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is talk of a three lane system for HWY 89 going to Squaw.

Snip from article.
The program, he said, routes two lanes of traffic inbound to Squaw Valley during the morning hours and two lanes outbound in the afternoon.

“That’s worked quite well,” Livak said. However, he added: “We did identify several occasions when there was a lot of cueing and congestion on Highway 89 proper.

“We thought it might be beneficial to experiment in some manner next season with a three-lane program (on Highway 89) of some sort — it could simply be on a few peak days where we try something.”

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I avoid that area like the plague, but certainly they need to do something. Isn't the train trestle always going to a bottleneck?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Killington does that with their access road, seems to work there..until you 4..then backed up again.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought they were doing something with a road expansion at the train trestle but it looks like it was just a walk/bike lane to stop with the pedestrian risk in the tunnel.
I avoid that area like the plague, but certainly they need to do something. Isn't the train trestle always going to a bottleneck?

I recall a 5 inch snow day when I dropped Phil off in Truckee and headed to work at Northstar. I thought I was going to turn on 89 and jump back on the freeway but quickly decided to turn around and go through old town Truckee. If 89 is backed up on a 5 inch day all the way to Donner Pass road, then what on earth is it like on a real powder day?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I thought they were doing something with a road expansion at the train trestle but it looks like it was just a walk/bike lane to stop with the pedestrian risk in the tunnel.

I recall a 5 inch snow day when I dropped Phil off in Truckee and headed to work at Northstar. I thought I was going to turn on 89 and jump back on the freeway but quickly decided to turn around and go through old town Truckee. If 89 is backed up on a 5 inch day all the way to Donner Pass road, then what on earth is it like on a real powder day?
Yeah, the tunnel is for bikes/pedestrians. I thought abut making the joke that they could route one lane through there at peak times (it isn't used much in the winter anyway). But I don't think its wide enough :crash:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, the tunnel is for bikes/pedestrians. I thought abut making the joke that they could route one lane through there at peak times (it isn't used much in the winter anyway). But I don't think its wide enough :crash:
image.gif

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a Squaw Valley homeowner, I miss most of the traffic. We drag our ski laden wagon through all the barely moving cars. We do have to put up with entertaining our friends who are waiting out the traffic jam - but that's just fun.

Perhaps if Squaw built a bunch of condos in the valley, people would not have to drive as much at the critical crowded times...

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The could have 6 lanes of traffic in or out, it doesn't matter, it all will still get stuck at the tunnel.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a Squaw Valley homeowner, I miss most of the traffic. We drag our ski laden wagon through all the barely moving cars. We do have to put up with entertaining our friends who are waiting out the traffic jam - but that's just fun.

Perhaps if Squaw built a bunch of condos in the valley, people would not have to drive as much at the critical crowded times...

Eric
There we go again, squaw valley ski Corp
supporter association.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
The could have 6 lanes of traffic in or out, it doesn't matter, it all will still get stuck at the tunnel.

Darn stuck at the mouse hole again ! A reversible 3rd lane could kind of work, weekends/powder days only, if a lot of traffic would divert onto
West River street, But keep it low key (small signs or cones) with no ugly overhead signs to spoil the scenery. Other times it could be a passing lane.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Darn stuck at the mouse hole again ! A reversible 3rd lane could kind of work, weekends/powder days only, if a lot of traffic would divert onto
West River street, But keep it low key (small signs or cones) with no ugly overhead signs to spoil the scenery. Other times it could be a passing lane.
The way you drive the Truckee River is a passing lane ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Maybe a good idea if KSL pays for it since it would be needed if they build more condo crap.
That's another issue. If they get turned down for more condo's then not needed.

Placer Co just rejected the Martis Valley West development on the Northstar side of Truckee citing
traffic problems.

Sponsor