• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Men's Combined DH is going on now (watching on NBCSports app). On hold after an incident. Wind is whipping off and on.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
OMG Bode’s partner is relating cornball anecdotes about Bryce Bennett’s size 15 feet taking three hours to get into his size 12 boots.

NBC can’t even do the screen graphics right.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Bode is a pleasure, NBC not so much. Watching on my iPad & somehow cut to adds during a bunch of racers?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bode's pretty solid...as usual.

Watching the unfiltered feed on the NBCSports app (i.e. the IOC's international feed) you get Cameron Brougham and Britt Janyk doing commentary. They're decent. The coverage is spectacular: every racer, every run.

So I'm missing Bode's insight and comments, but not the Dan Hicks stuff or the commercials.

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
Started out with the "enhanced" coverage on the NBC Sports app. It turns out enhanced means half the screen is taken up with info about the skier. I didn't like that so I went to change to the regular coverage on the app when the course hold started and they just started playing Olympics commercials. Went to see with the Canadian channel coverage was like and Todd Brooker and friend were just hanging out throughout the hold. They weren't particularly interesting but I figured it was better than commercials. Impressed with the commitment to coverage I stayed there, which turned out to be a mistake, because once the race started again they did indeed play commercials and they skipped Bryce Bennett, then stopped after 20 or so racers. Then they cut back to the studio and announced that Chloe Kim won the gold, which, darn, I was looking forward to watching that event, with the suspense. Went back to the regular NBC app to watch the more live. So, it's that channel for the win, though its too bad Bode isn't doing color there.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
"All FIVE of the NBC channels".......so which are they.

I'm an Xfinity customer. So on the NBCSports app, I can stream NBCSports and the Olympic Channel. Regular cable package includes NBC and NBCSports. Don't have the Olympic Channel on the cable. Upcharge to an insanely expensive bundled deal is just nuts.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!!!
Probably not. If you can live stream olympic events with NBCSports app then you can replay.
You'll be able to see all the competition.

Note: to stream these 5 they say you must have USA Channel on your subscription.
the 5 channels on Comcast/Xfinity are: (Sacramento numbers) different in other areas.

NBC (703)
NBCsn (723)
USA (738)
Olympic ch (739) <was Universal Sports
CNBC (762)

also MSNBC (787) is possible but appears not being used

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Watch for Marton Kekesi of Hungary, who pulls off the Cuche ski flip in the finish of his DH run.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
image.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Fell asleep before the combined SL run but watched the repeat this morning.
Not Bode but pretty much uninterrupted coverage from the Brits.
It may just be less frustrating to just watch the rest of the race in this fashion if we can avoid spoilers.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Today

Women's Slalom Run 1 7:15 pm EST
Women's Slalom Run 2 10:4 pm EST

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Hopefully the wind won't won't make the start time irrelevant. The wind in the SL run of the combined was "considerable" and very gusty. Luckily I don't think it affected the podium order. Margins, yes.

If winds are forecast to be higher on Wed, local time, that's tonight in the USA. Based on what we saw yesterday, we might see another postponement.

This wind is an issue. Based on camera views, Hirscher had a lot to deal with last night in the SL {but less relatively speaking in the DH}. 40mph uphill and crosshill, blowing snow. Almost no visibility at times.

Glad I'm not making the call as to whether to race or not in that weather. We'll see.

James

Out There
Instructor
NBC site shows both times. Always fun to guess.
I've given up on NBC.
A start time is a start time.
NBC seems to do coverage times. Which means we'll go to the hill and see, go off to curling for 20min, then cross country, go inside for a chat with someone, then maybe go to the start. It would be fine if they gave both like with football but they want to obscure actual start times.

FIS is essentially responsible for the race. When they say it starts, given an ok from the Olympic venue, it starts. Of course the lifts could be down, power out, could be some security incident, all of which is the venue. Wind and snow holds that affect the race would be FIS's call afaik.

Here's the Olympic Site info also.
https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/...ine-skiing/daily-schedule-date=2018-02-14.htm

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the website for NBCSports is converting to CST for me and not saying so.

Thanks James