• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had this thread two years ago, in the hopes that we could figure out an easy way to watch World Cup Racing.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/universal-sports-is-gone-how-to-watch-ski-racing.255/

Now, with the Olympics coming, NBC Sports has the Olympic Channel.
Beyond that, there are multiple ways to subscribe to it, which are highlighted on SkiRacing.com
Basically, there are ways to subscribe through Hulu, Youtube channels, if you don't have a cable provider.

Since the cable cutting trend is growing, the option of subscribing to Hulu enhanced services or Youtube for less than 40/month is likely the best way to watch these channels.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love the winter Olympics and not being able to watch it was a major concern when we got rid of cable 2 years ago. I pay $35 a month for YouTube tv and I'm grateful the Olympic channel is included. This channel is awesome on every level. The service comes with unlimited cloud based DVR'ing so we aren't going to miss a thing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm lucky enough to have NBC Sports and the Olympic channel on cable. (Or maybe stupid enough, given what I pay. :rolleyes:)

Really looking forward to the Olympics! Though I'll be in Taos for the opening ceremony and travelling back to DC the next day.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Official Olympics site with full competition schedule:
https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game-time/results/OWG2018/en/general/competition-schedule.htm

Good summary of tv offerings:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-rio-2016-olympic-games

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/11/28/nbc-winter-olympics-tv-schedule-live-stream-watch-online

NBC detailed coverage by date/time:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings?day=0#start-of-day

Note the delayed Opening Ceremonies is 5pm PST Friday Feb 9 on NBC local channels.

As someone not too tv or movie oriented in this era, I've been totally OTA for over a decade and have not used streaming services. Am wondering how to do this just during the Olympics without having to subscribe to some extended service?

This has good info on how the Olympic's viewing is set up and controlled plus how to use various VPN schemes:

https://www.howtogeek.com/182666/how-to-watch-the-olympics-online-without-a-cable-subscription/

Via the howtogeek page went to the fubo.tv site and created an account for $20 for the next one month including the first 7 days free trial. After 30 days following months are $45/month though I expect to cancel after the Olympics unless they hook me on something haha. Have a special cheap 25mb/sec download AT&T account and watching a live hockey game right now on my Dell XPS 9550 4k screen using the Edge browser looks clean with no artifacts. So am all set for the Olympics. Maybe will try and get up to HV to ski a couple days before Friday.

Last edited:

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Is there a way to get alpine skiing coverage where they show the entire (or best parts) of the race continuously?

Because typically they drag it out and stagger the segments so all of the sudden you have to watch 20 minutes of curling and 10 minutes of luge and then a tearful against all odds profile and then back to you Jim, the last five racers drawing to a dramatic conclusion out of actual sequence through video editing....

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
CBC is the broadcaster in Canada. They have an app too. Haven't looked at it yet, but it might be available in the states . Programming looks like entire races, but there could be something else too.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Thanks for this thread. I have access to NBC Sports and Olympic Channel through cable, however, does anyone know where the World Cup race replays went? I noticed the last few races haven't been released. Feel like I'm crazy searching for them. Ex. recent Garmisch downhills

James

Out There
Instructor
Is there a way to get alpine skiing coverage where they show the entire (or best parts) of the race continuously?

Because typically they drag it out and stagger the segments so all of the sudden you have to watch 20 minutes of curling and 10 minutes of luge and then a tearful against all odds profile and then back to you Jim, the last five racers drawing to a dramatic conclusion out of actual sequence through video editing....
Don't know, but in 2010 for a brief time online nbc I think had this. By mistake I believe. I think somehow they just put out the raw feed. I just remember watching with no commentary and commercials. Had all sorts of stuff you never see, coaches standing around, athletes milling, radio sounds, even just snow falling. Things that just get filmed while camera operators wait for the next athlete to come down. It was during one of the downhills. It didn't last though. You really felt like you were a spectator seeing different aspects of the course.
I do also like good announcing though and commentary. Adds drama.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Don't know, but in 2010 for a brief time online nbc I think had this. By mistake I believe. I think somehow they just put out the raw feed. I just remember watching with no commentary and commercials. Had all sorts of stuff you never see, coaches standing around, athletes milling, radio sounds, even just snow falling. Things that just get filmed while camera operators wait for the next athlete to come down. It was during one of the downhills. It didn't last though. You really felt like you were a spectator seeing different aspects of the course.
I do also like good announcing though and commentary. Adds drama.

Yes last season that was the case. This year they’ve had almost all races available after they occurred and win Steve Perino commentating. I assumed because it was an Olympic year. I’ll try to be patient haha.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
leaving for the tropics on opening day. My worst fear is the only available media feed is from the US and I'll miss the games this year.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing earth shattering about the first training run. Manny O-P laid down the fastest run, with Jansrud and Caviezel at his heels. Plenty of Alpine Combined athletes running this training to get a feel for the hill. Bennett was top for Team USA in 7th, 98 hundredths behind O-P.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Get the nbcsports app. Should be showing live events and then replays. I stream it to my TV all the time.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Get the nbcsports app. Should be showing live events and then replays. I stream it to my TV all the time.

Yes my Olympic watching will be online, the mainstream NBC cable coverage is horrible if tonight is any indication.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Much enjoyed watching the 2 hours of the opening ceremonies with all the excited cheery athletes walking in. Especially enjoyed as each country's team walked by, looking at the attractive smiling happy faces of young athletic women. Misty eyed as 4 Korean singers just sang Lennon's Imagine.
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
242 US Delegates at the 2018 Olympics. The largest number of delegates for any country in any Olympics.

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
I don't get cable anymore. The cable company in Jackson dropped NBC hours before the Super Bowl. We won't have the Olympics either. Cable sucks... I'm glad I cut the cord!