• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often to remove boot liners?

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I saw this mentioned in passing in another thread, and it's something I've been wondering about lately. My boots, Dalbello Panterra 120 seems to consistently let snow in even on non-powder days. For example I skied Tahoe over the weekend, no fresh snow for over a week, but removed my liners on Monday and there was quite a bit of water inside i.e. the exterior surface of the liner was wet in places and a few drops of water dripped out of the shells when held upside down. I even have to take the plastic insole out of the shell because water gets underneath it and removing the insole is the fastest way to get things dry.

Not a big deal, but if I don't do this on a regular basis things get pretty stinky! Also, have noticed some wear on the exterior of the liners presumably from being removed so many times. Hopefully not too expensive to replace although that's not necessary yet.

Curious if/how others deal with this.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We never remove our liners but constantly use our dry guy boot dryer to get out any moisture. Interesting though when we were at Lake Louise a couple weeks ago everyone was taking their liners out at the end of the ski day so perhaps we are the odd ones not to do it. Not to knock someone who chooses to take their liners out every night but since we're just dealing with our own sweat, the boots are never soaked on the inside so the boot dryer works just perfect.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Take mine out EVERY night! That moisture may not be coming from the outside, but from your own feet. The liner might be moving moisture from the inside to the outside of the liner. That's the only way I dry my boots. Put them back together the next morning. Now, if I'm leaving for home and won't be back for couple of days, they just dry on their own. Got 60+ days on these boots so far, no issues with the liner. Just need to re tape the wire for the boot heater next weekend.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I take my liners out whenever I think there my water between the shell and liner. For some boots, that was every day, now it's only when I can see water under the shell. My boots live on a Dry Guy and get cold air for an hour every night, but that doesn't dry out the moisture between the shell and liner.

Your liners will last longer if you keep them dry. I just replaced my liners after about 300 days, and the old ones still smelled like roses.

dm

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to remove my liners after each skiing day, as well as remove the footbeds, just in case there is any moisture from condensation or from snow. Most often there isn’t any moisture, but it really isn’t much effort.

I also have a portable boot heater set, and can plug into my car or AC at home. I mostly use it to warm my boots on the way to the ski area/resort, but could also use to dry the boots after skiing.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I take them out every day. And make sure the tongue is slapped down and in place before you buckle those Panterras. I have notices some water gets into mine if I don't.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
My boots are the same way (Atomic Hawx), at the end of the day I can almost always see water in between the shell and liner from snowmelt. I want to make sure that dries thoroughly so I take mine out after every day of skiing.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Zipfit lace up liners. The liners come out every time I take my foot out of the boot. I usually leave them out to make sure the liners and boots are both dry. I put the liners back in if I'm transporting or storing the boots, otherwise they go back in when my foot goes back into the boot.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
A couple cycles on the boot dryers and everything is bone dry. No need to pull liners for me unless I’m diving in the pond at Slush Cup or something. (I don’t)

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Dry guy for the win

IMG_4466.PNG

Any questions ?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I only do it when I see water through my shell. Otherwise I just put them on the dryer until they feel completely dry inside.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Every time you put your foot in or out the boot (because that's the only way you can lace the liners up first) or never (boot dryers rock!)

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I saw this mentioned in passing in another thread, and it's something I've been wondering about lately. My boots, Dalbello Panterra 120 seems to consistently let snow in even on non-powder days. For example I skied Tahoe over the weekend, no fresh snow for over a week, but removed my liners on Monday and there was quite a bit of water inside i.e. the exterior surface of the liner was wet in places and a few drops of water dripped out of the shells when held upside down. I even have to take the plastic insole out of the shell because water gets underneath it and removing the insole is the fastest way to get things dry.

Not a big deal, but if I don't do this on a regular basis things get pretty stinky! Also, have noticed some wear on the exterior of the liners presumably from being removed so many times. Hopefully not too expensive to replace although that's not necessary yet.

Curious if/how others deal with this.

Well this one is not so close to the TMI zone as the question asking how often people wash their base layers ...

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skiing in the rain or very wet snow in Oregon. I put my boot liners and gloves on the PEET dryer within minutes of arriving home from skiing. Every day.

27629052_10212529063356217_3102257382500507581_o.jpg