• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Full is Your Closet? Jackets and Pants Overkill?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Up until recently I only had one or two good jackets and one or two good pairs of ski pants, even when I skied almost every day November through February/Mid March. Now I hardly ski 10-12 days a year but I keep buying ski suits. Anybody else want to fess up to soft goods overkill? I've also got gloves that match each of these jackets and fart bags fairly well.
Haven't expanded to multiple helmets yet though..
Jackets:
WP_20160516_002.jpg

Shells:
WP_20160516_003.jpg

Pants:
WP_20160516_004.jpg

Fart Bags:
WP_20160516_005.jpg

I haven't gotten much mileage out of the heavier jackets lately, been above 20 degrees for most of the ski days and a shell with a sweater in the morning then lose a layer afternoon is usually sufficient for the climate here.

I know Tricia's got me beat by a longshot but at least she skis upwards of 60 plus days a year.

What's your ski and snowboard wardrobe look like?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 72 jackets. This includes skiing, hiking, rain & other, but does not include my retro stuff. The boxes hold my pants that go along with my various outdoor activities. Probably 20ish pair of pants. I might have a problem. :eek:gcool
IMG_20160516_120540152.jpg
IMG_20160516_120534801.jpg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
If we count just the ski jackets, I have two (well, three if you count the infamous dark blue one that I have been shamed into never wearing again).

If you start counting all the other ones -- one rain jacket, two hiking jackets (which see non-hiking work as well), around town jacket, two synthetic insulated mid-layers, down insulated mid-layer, then I'm up to 10. I felt somewhat guilty about that (although they all do all see fairly regular use) and then I saw @SkiNurse 's total of 72. I feel better now. Thanks!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have 5 insulated ski jackets with matching pants. Mid-layer jackets too many as they get used for other activities. In fact had to wear the Eddie Bauer down sweater to work this morning. I'm getting some items together to give to a charity organization that I know of that gets teens on skis and tries to keep them out of trouble.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If we count just the ski jackets, I have two (well, three if you count the infamous dark blue one that I have been shamed into never wearing again).

I'm just counting ski jackets, not my sports starter type stuff, not my trench coats, dusters, all around fleece stuff, leather jackets, etc..

If it was designed with skiing or snow boarding in mind it got included.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've about a 15 coats and jackets. A half dozen vests. 4 - 5 pair of pants.

Just a rough guesstimate.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm having trouble letting go of of my oldest one. Black/Blue/Silver Sub Zero far right The elastic in the wrist cuffs is toast so I got the blue argyle modern jacket that arrived today. It seems like it does everything the other one did and more. Still waffling on adding some snaps or a pleat to the loosy goosy cuffs on the 1990s jacket to keep it functional. No rational reason to bother though hahahaha!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm just counting ski jackets, not my sports starter type stuff, not my trench coats, dusters, all around fleece stuff, leather jackets, etc..

If it was designed with skiing or snow boarding in mind it got included.

Well, everything I have has a Patagonia, Arcteryx or Mammut logo on it... All of my items weren't "designed for skiing", but I've certainly worn them all skiing. Hiking jackets (i.e., light wind-proof shells) work great for spring-skiing. Rain jackets work for skiing on days where it's, well, raining.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Jackets... no overlap really. An Arcterxys shell, a down puffy, a synethic puffy, a Patagonia simple rain pullover thing. I have an old patagonia shell for ski touring.. it's simple and very light. Pants, a couple pairs of Patagonia shell (one black, one grey), a pair of Volkl pants (rep sample, $30!), a pair of insulated Obermeyer Pants, and a pair of Sunice insulated pants (black... freebee from a friend with a gear problem. They're the go to work pant.) A couple of fleece light mid layers (Kuhl, Arcteryx... the arcteryx looks like hell.) Ace in the hole is a Gill dingy smock. I get a nice Patagonia shell for work. And yes, I do wear cotton hoodies from time to time depending on the weather, and no, I'm not worried about them killing me. :) I've got a couple pairs of googles, two pairs of sun glasses, a helmet, and two pairs of heavy gloves, a couple of liners, one pair of windstopper light gloves, and some rubber rain gloves. 4 pairs of ski socks. 3 pairs of thermals (top & bottom), and a couple balaclavas, a couple of neck gaitors, and a cold weather under the helmet beenie. I've got a small collection of 5-6 schwag toques, and that's about it. Pretty much fits in a medium sized plastic storage bin for the summer.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But how many pairs of shoes do you own? ;)

My standard response to my wife when another pair of skis arrives at the door..:)...

Jacket wise, one of my weaknesses, way too many, including 8 USST ones at last count. :eek:.. (the quality of them is a lot better than the standard Spyder stuff). But I look at it more as doing my bit to support some of our USST athletes ..:thumb:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a lot-ish. But I share with my daughter. Of course. Proof in the pudding is when she leaves home in a couple months, what is left? (most of it, I'm sure)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a lot-ish. But I share with my daughter. Of course. Proof in the pudding is when she leaves home in a couple months, what is left? (most of it, I'm sure)
which oughta tell you something ... A shopping expedition with @SkiNurse is in order! I meet you, briefly, you're not ready for mom jeans:cool:

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
My standard response to my wife when another pair of skis arrives at the door..:)...

Jacket wise, one of my weaknesses, way too many, including 8 USST ones at last count. :eek:.. (the quality of them is a lot better than the standard Spyder stuff). But I look at it more as doing my bit to support some of our USST athletes ..:thumb:

I've never been a big shoe person, but I am a jacket slut. Too many to count that includes 4 USST ones. Go USST!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
LOL @ USST. I neglected to include a USST jacket in my photo. It's stuffed at the back of ANOTHER closet with my regular jackets. I don't wear it skiing much but will wear it around town. Not enough pockets for my skiing needs. Also awkward when folks on the lift ask me about being on the US Ski Team which I never was.

Speaking of closets, most of my ski jackets and pants are in my SON'S closet because mine is full of about 100 sports jerseys (NFL, NHL, MLB, Premiere League, La Liga, MSL, World Cup, NCAA football, NCAA Basketball, NCAA baseball, NBA, etc..) in addition to my regular hanging clothes, regular coats, couple suits I never wear any more, etc..

We remodeled our house last year and I lost the studio and sports gear room to a second kids room. I donated the larger amps and speaker cabinets, stored the drum kit, and donated about 50 jerseys to Goodwill when moving in to our new master bedroom and giving up our previous room to the older kid so they no longer had to share a bedroom.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
True ski jackets: two. A two year old Patagonia 3 in 1 (expensive, but soooo well made). and a second season Sierra Design Windshell. This thing is amazing. No insulation, but so thoroughly blocks the wind that I am good down to 30 degrees with only a wool base layer under it. Even if there is wind.

In cold weather, I weare the Patagonia with the liner (down). In warm weather, I wear the patagonia shell because it has pit zips. In between, I wear the Sierra Design. I do end up washing each of them a few times each winter, and a few more times each spring. Delicate, inside out, etc.

Pants: three. Fera extra long, medium insulation for cold weather. Marmot medium insulation. Ride uninsulated, with leg zips. Yeah, I know that last one is for snowboarders, but who cares? Most comfortable ski pants I've ever owned. I wear them exclusively in warmer weather. I wear basketball shorts under them and open the leg vents to keep from overheating in warmer weather. They are great!