• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

postai

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,

I have a peeling on one of my skis. I glued it with Epoxy last season, but It came back after 6 days of skiing. Any advice?

20180131_135240[1].jpg

In addition, I found a new one, which is currently small:
20180208_130240[1].jpg

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cut it off and sand/file it down so it’s smooth.

Can hit it with some expoxy if you want (to fill the gap) but I honestly wouldn’t bother.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
One option I have used is to go to Marine Supply store. There are Gel-coat repair kits that come with the elements needed to a repair and also to mix a custom color. I had a big chunk out of the top edge of a pair of Atomic R:11. Kind of a copper metallic color. Mixed up the kit per directions and got as close as i could to color match. Worked great. I taped some plastic material flat against the sidewall of the ski. I think I used an old distance plate cut to length and a bit higher than the top surface of the ski and taped that in place with blue painter's tape and then filled in the Gel-coat repair against it. Let it set and the filed and sanded it back down to ski top level

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A credit card will take care of it.

If that is not a good answer: cut, file, sand, epoxy, and cover with some waterproof tape. The top skin on some older Nordica Helldivers were peeling up and that is what I did (including the credit card part ;-)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Can you feel those defects as you ski down 1000 feet of vert. through fresh snow or well developed bumps?

If not, screw it, and keep smiling! ;-)

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree with @CalG . Just ski it! Until you buy a replacement.

If you feel compelled to do something, trim the hanging parts and slobber some JB weld on the scar. Use a heat gun to get the epoxy wicking into the damage. Wipe off massive excess that drools out of the repair.

I've never heard of cold temperature resistant epoxy. JB Weld has worked for lots of repairs for me. But I'm in California where it's never cold. And barely ever snows...

Eric

TS
P

postai

Skier
Thanks guys!
Do you think that hot iron will be able to melt it a little bit so it will stick in place?

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's just a flesh wound. I've done worst to my topsheets.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are rock skis, embrace it. Start planing for a new setup.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Topsheet cuts like that I just cut so there are no loose parts and use car touch up paint of a similar color and it will cover and seal it up.

Take a close up color pic of the skis and bring to your local car parts place to match for a nail polish style touch up container.

Btw-agree that I would be looking to keep those as rock skis after touch ups as those look due for an update!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@postai Do not use an iron. The heat is too hot and uneven. Heat guns will apply plenty of heat - careful it's easy to do too much. Hair dryers are OK in a pinch for warming epoxy but a real heat gun is one of my most used tools. Get one.

If its just stick on graphics peeling up, the heat gun and a razor scraper is magic to remove the plastic. Don't burn the lamination though.

If its minor delamination, the heat gun will soften the laminate but will not stick it back. JB weld does that.

Most skis are designed for some road rash. While I don't ski with my skis together much, they clack hard enough often enough to get horribly beaten up quickly. I'm not sure you need to consider those rock skis yet if they still work for you. Ski them as long as they perform for you. Appearance does not equal performance.

Eric

TS
P

postai

Skier
Thanks everyone!
I'll try to fix it as you suggested, since these rock skis can still do the work...

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Like the others have said. Treat it like an Orthopedic Surgeon does a meniscus tear. Cut of the hanging parts so it is smooth. You can also file/sand it smooth, but that is mostly so you don't cut your hand when picking them up or tuning.

A strong epoxy (maybe marine grade) will hold better if the offending pieces are removed and the sanding/filing will help it bond to the ski. Maybe just color it in with a red sharpie.

Things like this are cosmetic and have no effect on ski performance, unless of course it is on the bottom. Unless they are stored underwater, I don't think anything bad will come from the exposure.

Ken

Sponsor

Staff online